Zodiac
Last year

36ers re-sign Nick Marshall for 3 years

Even though he re-signed to a 2 year deal last off-season it appears Nick Marshall and the Sixers have torn up that deal and re-signed him to a new 3 year deal until 2026 with a team option in the final season. Like the last deal Marshall will no longer be a DP and will come on to the roster next season.

https://nbl.com.au/news/sixers-sharpshooter-signs-on

Probably spells the end of Hyrum Harris' time at the club, I liked him good hustle player but a local player especially the only local will trump him. CJ's quotes on the signing suggest he will be back as coach next season.

Topic #50953 | Report this topic

Q Anon  
Last year

I'd suggest Drmic is out then

Marshall, Dech and Cleveland all the same height as Drmic

Cant have 4 guys the same.

Reply #912982 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Last year

That's a huge commitment to a guy who hasn't actually been on the main roster yet. They obviously see a lot of potential in him

Reply #912983 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

I don't think that logic necessarily applies - between Point Guard and two wings, it’s not absurd that you have 4 guys of similar/same height out of the 6 spots.

Marshall is a PG.
Dech is more of a PG/SG
Drmic and Cleveland are more SG/SF

It’s weird not to have 4 people similarish height for SG/SF.

Really he’s just a bit of a taller PG, like Giddey was.

Reply #912985 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last year

He isnt a PG though

Thats the issue

3 guys on the roster plus Drmic all the same position none being pure in their position. Compound this when you add MM into the mix who I think everyone has resolved is also not a PG and we have overloaded at the 2/3 position

All of these guys are capable at bringing the ball up but I wouldn't say that are PG's

Maher ran the point but that diminished him as a 2 which was when he was at his best.

Reply #912986 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Marshall's a 6'5" SF.

On Drmic the only way I could see him not being back is if he chose to leave which would be very disappointing as he had a good season and after five years here is virtually a local, although I know a Vic would bristle at being thought of as from SA.

He signed a 2 year deal with us last off-season, second year a mutual option and given the season he had I would've thought the Sixers would be keen to re-sign him to a longer term deal.

Reply #912988 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

btw on Harris I thought he looked good as a PF at the Hawks but when the Sixers signed him a couple of years ago someone on here said he's a 6'6" SF, I took their word on his height but just looked him up and he's actually 6'8.5". IMO, he's never looked like or played like a 6'8" guy with us.

Reply #912989 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

Wouldn't mind seeing Drim back in Brisbane. Fwiw he’s previously said he didn’t want to leave prior to finding a spot again with Adelaide.

Reply #912990 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Pretty sure he had a player option for this season on the 3 year deal he signed with the Bullets that he opted out of so he did choose to leave. Perhaps the Bullets helped him make that decision by suggesting he was going to lose his starting spot with Tyler Johnson coming in.

Reply #912991 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last year

Other sites say 6'6" which I think is more accurate.

I'd be happy with the breakers picking him up to take a spot left by Abercrombie or rupert. Or even if vodanovic left (not sure of his contract term)

Reply #912995 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

He's a good young talent with potential but I just hope the deal reflects his output and isn't some sort of McCarronesque overreach.

Reply #912997 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

" All of these guys are capable at bringing the ball up but I wouldn't say that are PG's

What defines a PG if it's not bringing the ball up/initiating the offence?

What counts is how we use the players, if the 36ers intend to use him to bring up the ball alongside two wings like they did this year, then what’s the issue exactly with height?

Isn’t the problem that you think they shouldn’t use him for that purpose?

Reply #912998 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

I wouldn't have thought so as he was already under contract for next season the club has effectively given him an extra guaranteed year along with a team option for another year after that. Good deal for both sides.

Reply #912999 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last year

@KET you well know what I mean

DJ brought the ball up many times last season , that doesn't make him a PG does it.

Reply #913022 | Report this post

Old Mate  
Last year

2 things, Marshall is in no way a PG nor will they use him as one and secondly, Harris is not 6'8 and would only be 6’6 with shoes on (maybe!).

Reply #913023 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last year

Harris is officially listed at 2.04m or 6"6

Reply #913024 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

^^^ you might want to check your maths on that calculation. Lol. Harris would be under 2m by the way.

Reply #913027 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

I'm 1.80m or 6'4

Reply #913030 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

1.8 is just shy of 6ft

1.94 is 6'4".

Reply #913034 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

As I sad to my surprise Harris is listed as 204 cm which is over 6'8".

Reply #913036 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

"1.8 is just shy of 6ft

1.94 is 6'4"."

That went straight over someone's head!

Reply #913037 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last year

My mistake
204cm is 6.69 feet but 6 feet 8 and 1/4 inches

Reply #913039 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Last year

It really doesn't matter how tall Harris is, or how tall he is listed as, if he is in the team as a role Big then he needs to be able to defend the typical NBL big in the post, but more often than he should he had to resort to fouling which is not want you want.

I would call Marshall Drimic Cleveland and Dech all as Wings. I don’t rate any of them as being able to bring the ball up and initiate the offense when under pressure so I would not call any of them guards.

Adelaide need a starting center and a point guard so those are the questions that need to be addressed in terms of roster gaps and cap space.

Reply #913042 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Last year

Good move to lockin Marshall, but need to sign him for five year deal. He is going to be a very good NBL player. CJ knows it too which is why he wasn't happy when Marshall had to fo back to DP when signed Clarke. Being an Adelaide local longterm can turn him into a franchise player. Was a DP player and performed as good as Clarke if not better.

Reply #913056 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Come on Clark was a bit disappointing and Marshall performed well for a DP but he wasn't anywhere near as good as Clark.

Clark - 12.2p @ 47.3% (35.6% 3pt), 90.9% FT, 3.1a, 2.5r

Marshall - 4.5p @ 48.2% (33.3% 3pt), 75% FT, 1.2r, 0.7a

Reply #913058 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

sixtiesrockstar showing his true brain capacity again. Outperformed Clark :) future franchise player! You're a month too early for April fools day.

Reply #913059 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Last year

Marshall was a DP player this season. Barely got off the bench much. When Clarke got injured and missed a game late in season, Marshall looked good and performed well. The Sixers looked better with him on. You could tell that CJ could see something in him and wished he didn't have to go back to DP when Clarke was signed. I think he probably would have reversed the signing of Clarke in hindsight after the way Marshall performed when given opportunity. Sixers had one of their better patches of the season when Marshall was elevated after Randall was sacked. They had one of their worst patches when Clarke came in. Of course his stats are low as a DP player having to sit on the pine most the time.
Where was McVeigh two years ago? Where was Pinder two years ago? Inconsistent, patchy, etc, etc. If you can't see that Marshall will be a 20pts per game player in couple years time then you aren't watching. He'll keep developing and in few years time when he is 26-27 years of age he will be one of the better Aussies in the league every team will be looking to sign. Sixers can't afford to let a homegrown player go.

Reply #913065 | Report this post

Kings  
Last year

I think you'll find the news in coming months will be McCarron and Sixers have reached terms and parted ways. DJ also won't be back....

Reply #913069 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

Cotton the best offensive player in the league averaged 23.4ppg. The MVP of the league an Australian averaged 16ppg. You think Marshall is going to average 20 in the NBL? Dude, please put down the pipe. Drugs are bad.

Reply #913073 | Report this post

Kev  
Last year

This is a great signing for SA basketball. The local product was gone, Nick has the ability to become that next franchise local. Just need to retain a few more locals.

Hopefully MM is on the way out, a genuine vacancy there would help us a lot.

Reply #913079 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Last year

Height is pretty irrelevant these days. Is KD or Giannis being over 6 10 make them centres, or when PJ Tucker was Houston's centre at 6 5? Can be 6 6 these days and play a multitude of positions.
Great that Marshall is a local, but most importantly is that Adelaide locked up a talented kid for a few years no matter where they were born.
But if CJ's back it means struggle town again.

Reply #913080 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Good move to lockin Marshall, but need to sign him for five year deal.
Name the last NBL player contract longer than three years.

Reply #913081 | Report this post

Pablo Escobar  
Last year

Joey Wright

Reply #913083 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Last year

The maximum NBL player contract is 3 years.
I'd guess this is to protect both parties paying and receiving the wrong amount.
Camel fecit.

Reply #913174 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

"I think you'll find the news in coming months will be McCarron and Sixers have reached terms and parted ways."

Are we all just leaving this one untouched?

Reply #913180 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

" @KET you well know what I mean

DJ brought the ball up many times last season , that doesn't make him a PG does it."

You're not really listening to me - 36ers were using Marshall in the point guard role, regardless of height/whatever fixed position you want to call him.

So I don’t really know the issue - do you think he’s not capable in the backup point guard role?

It never seemed like his role conflicted with Cleveland or Drmic. Maybe a bit with Dech/McCarron.

I understand Adelaide have a lot of “similar” combo guard/small forward type players.

Reply #913181 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

KET - leaving the Macca post untouched. Doesn't pass the sniff test.

Reply #913202 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

SIXERS QUASH MITCH MOVE SPECULATION

The rumour mill was spinning this week that the Adelaide 36ers have shopped star guard Mitch McCarron around in an attempt to free up salary cap space.

Crosscourt, though, has been told McCarron's agency advised clubs the 30-year-old playmaker would remain at the Sixers for NBL24.

"We heard the rumours and we got told outright that he’s definitely not leaving Adelaide,“ one club official said.

“We definitely did our inquiries, but we’ve been told categorically he’s staying put."

Adelaide chief executive Nic Barbato denied the club had attempted to move McCarron and that he was under contract and would be at the club next season.

Crosscourt has been told the Sixers have more than $750,000 tied up in imports Antonius Cleveland and Robert Franks, while McCarron was understood to be on at least $350,000 per season.

Reply #913368 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:37 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754