Isaac
Last year

NBA 2023 Play-In Tournament

The match-ups are set:

Lakers vs Wolves for the chance to meet Memphis.
Loser plays the winner of Pelicans-Thunder for the chance to face Denver.

Heat vs Hawks for the rights to tackle Boston.
Losing squad takes on the winner of Raptors-Bulls for a Bucks game.

Minnesota have hamstrung themselves on the eve of playing the resurgent Lakers. OKC are 4-6 L10 but enter riding two wins; even just a taste of post-season is going to be good for them. Pelicans haven't been too bad despite the predictable Zion non-news, but likewise can't be expecting to make noise.

In the East, there are a few playoff-experienced veterans still trying to get through to the post-post-season. Raptors feel better with Poeltl but it hasn't been dramatic. I thought Pat Bev was a good change for Chicago, but not really enough to do damage. Hopefully Miami put the decidedly undecided Hawks out of their misery. There's probably nothing more treading-water than these four teams - not rebuilding, not seriously contending. I could see Miami getting through, and then Toronto pushing past Atlanta.

How do you see it playing out?

Topic #51033 | Report this topic

Big Ads  
Last year

I am happy (but surprised) your prediction for the Hawks was wrong, Miami have had their number lately.

I hope they take Boston too but expect a "Gentleman's sweep"

Reply #915653 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

Atlanta's bench helps them in Miami, while the Wolves fail to hold onto their lead. Have to wonder about the Lakers prospects after they scraped through at home against a depleted and mediocre team.

Reply #915666 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

Lakers-Wolves was one of the worst games of basketball I've watched in years.

Reply #915671 | Report this post

Cram  
Last year

Lakers-wolves was awful.

Also, one thing I've seen with basically all NBA teams is trying to be too cute with a sideline out of bounds. three of the four guys inbounds basically not even looking to get the ball and the one guy who is intended to get it doesn't move until 2-3 seconds have gone already. It leaves little margin for error when the one guy all of a sudden gets double teamed and his team mates look like they're listening to a podcast. Happened a few times yesterday.

Anyways, hoping my Raptors can get it done today, though not confident at all and basically think there's no way Jimmy gets swept like that for the next game anyway.

Reply #915680 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

Giddey with a great outing so far against NOP. 24/5/8 with a quarter to play.

Reply #915695 | Report this post

Cake  
Last year

Would love to see either of these teams knock off the Lakers. That much better if it's Giddey and the Thunder.

Reply #915696 | Report this post

Cram  
Last year

"Would love to see either of these teams knock off the Lakers. That much better if it's Giddey and the Thunder."

the lakers are through. the only way they meet now is if they make it to the conference finals.

Raps out. What a crappy season!

Now gotta hope the Bulls beat the Heat so the Raptors move "up" one spot in draft lottery odds.

Reply #915697 | Report this post

Cake  
Last year

Oops, right you are. I'd have preferred these two teams to the Lakers/Twolves, so overly optimistic there.

Fantastic game from Giddey on probably the biggest stage he's ever had.

Reply #915701 | Report this post

Giddey 1 board off a huge triple double. That was a big time performance for a twenty year old.

Reply #915704 | Report this post

Cram  
Last year

Massive from Giddey! Hope he and the Thunder can back it up. Wins by Thunder and Bulls help the Raptors get higher odds at the draft. If they both lose, Raps pick 13, one win, Raps at 12 and both win Raps at 11.

Lets go OKC and Chicago!

Reply #915707 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Phenomenal game from Josh, and yet he's the only OKC starter with a negative +/-.

Kind of highlights the weakness of the +/- a bit, especially when compared to Shai.

Reply #915718 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Minus 3 in a game like that is nothing, it's the big plus minus that gives indication. If you’re minus twenty plus but rest your team is minus ten or less it really tells you something.

Reply #915719 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Last year

New Orleans Pelicans had a dreadful season. With all the talent they got. Zion is never healthy, he barely played 6 games this season. Pelicans will keep underachieving if health keeps getting in their way.

Bulls had a great win from behind. Nothing worse losing a elimination final at home. 36ers, Perth have lost a few during the early 2000's. Hated that finals system when finishing 3rd to 2nd is a major difference to making the semifinals. I remember Perth in 2007 had a decent season but lost to Cairns at home, 36ers also lost to Cairns.

Josh Giddey killed it today. Nearly got a triple double, bugger that nine!

Reply #915722 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

Harsh Zion joke I saw: "At least Zion can spend the next 6 months getting ready to play 2 months of basketball next season".

Reply #915730 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Just like Ben, Isaac LOL

Reply #915737 | Report this post

Cake  
Last year

Duke fan, so I have a lot of love for Zion. And there's the amount of games Embiid missed early in his career, before turning into the player everyone expected him to be. But I do wish he'd figure out what has to change in order for him to play more. 10% less effective Zion, twice as often, would be awesome.

And there's the fact that Zion plays more often than Ben, and is actually good at basketball when he plays. So he's always going to have that favourable comparison available.

Reply #915744 | Report this post

Cram  
Last year

If you're looking to compare to Ben its clear things arent going well.

Reply #915748 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

more often than Ben, and is actually good at basketball when he plays
Ben had been very good when he played - 16/8/8 for his first three seasons. Just less so now. I think the Nets would be somewhat pleased if they could guarantee two months/season out of him right now.

Reply #915764 | Report this post

Cake  
Last year

Well, I also compared to Embiid. You could make a good case that I'd be a better use of an NBA roster spot than Ben Simmons, because at least I wouldn't be eating so much salary cap.

There are guys who are good enough that teams will suck up their greatly reduced availability, just look at Kawhi. The Pels probably need to consider quite deliberately going that route with Zion, and aiming to get ~60 regular season games and have him healthy for the playoffs. The thing that worries me with Zion isn't really that he gets hurt, it's that he hasn't recovered from a single one of his injuries on the sort of timeline that you'd expect for how serious it was when it happened. It seems like he's being taken out of 3/4 of a season by basically a grade 1 hamstring strain. That's different than most guys who cop season-ending injuries.

Reply #915765 | Report this post

Cram  
Last year

To me its inevitable that in the next couple of years Zion signs a max deal and forces his way to the Knicks who are on the cusp of their best team in a long time and then never plays again.

Reply #915766 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

Near-future headline: CAKE BETTER FOR BROOKLYN THAN SIMMONS or CAKE DOESN'T EAT UP CAP

Every series of Zion articles seems to imply that his club aren't happy with his conditioning. If true, he really needs to get it under control. He could be Oden or he could be Barkley.

Reply #915782 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:02 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754