Zodiac
Last year

36ers Owner: Team Not For Sale

Article is on the NBL's website but I can't link to it because it has the Sixers owner's name in the link and his name is banned on here.

After defeating NBA side Phoenix in pre-season last year, the 36ers flattered to deceive in NBL23 and eventually finished eighth on the ladder.

"It started as a passion project, then it quickly switched into 'gee, we've really got to switch this thing around," GK said on The Big Deal.

“Obviously we’re not happy with what’s occurred on the court, but one thing I’m somewhat proud of is we’ve quadrupled the revenue base of the club, and it’s set us up for future success.

“I have no intention of selling the licence.”

Topic #51098 | Report this topic

LoveBroker  
Last year

At least he is willing to put money into the club.

Yes there have been many wild swings and big misses (like everything after the pre-season last season).

One day one of those swings will hit a home run.

Reply #917239 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

As bad as the team got they were selling the place out pretty consistently in the end there, so something about the formula is working. The problem is theyre cursed with some JVG decisions that will never quite go away.

Reply #917241 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Last year

Why would the name f the 36ers owner be banned?

Is this like Voldermort all over again?

It's pretty silly, everyone here would know his/her name. Does the 36ers website block her/his name as well?

Good to see the owner is denying being interested in selling the franchise (it would need further improvements to be worth anything).

Reply #917242 | Report this post

Maybe  
Last year

Maybe Long shot - but 6.11 C/PF from Europe now in Adelaide

Reply #917243 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Article is on the NBL's website but I can't link to it because it has the Sixers owner's name in the link and his name is banned on here.

Just drop the stupid extra 'e' at the end of his surname, although in saying that a special nickname like that of a certain coach from yesteryear would be much better. Start brain storming Hoops.

Reply #917248 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Why would the name [o]f the 36ers owner be banned?

Is this like Voldermort all over again?

Where were you?

As criticism directed towards Kelly escalated on here his stooges were brought in to post from new accounts (LOL) about how good of an owner he was (LOL) and when that epically failed I assume there was a legal threat made. What a loser, and after that what happened at Vicinity Centres was revealed. I notice a pattern.

Yes, it's like Phil "Voldemort" Smyth all over again once everyone realised he sucked as a coach. Fun times and some things never change when people who have no honesty about their performance get called out by Hoops.

Reply #917249 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

What I don't understand is how simply banning his name helps on the legal front. If everyone knows who we're talking about, it's exactly the same as if his name was said explicitly.

Plus, I got caught by the filter (which doesn't even tell you why it's filtering your post, I had to contact Isaac) for referring to a Lynx player with the same last name. Had nothing to do with Adelaide, GK, or even the NBL.

Reply #917250 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last year

More about protecting from Google searches. Some people want live in a bubble where everything they do is amazing and positive.

Reply #917254 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

I think Smyth was a great coach. Just because 36ers needed to move on to avoid stagnancy and get fresh ideas in doesn't mean he wasn’t a great coach.

I found the style his teams played with entertaining too.

To be honest, there’s no rule saying if you’re an owner of a business that you have to accept being splashed everywhere. It’s easy being insignificant enough to be forgotten and posting behind aliases to give hasty references like "that’s the field they choose to be in so suck it up", “they put themselves in the media” but the understanding just isn’t there.

Most people would target say, the club Melbourne United if they fail, not the specific owner.

So some interesting tid bits, around $10mil splashed to get the team rolling.

Way way over spending compared to the rest...$500k over

Most clubs bar a couple are roughly breaking even or making a profit. That’s a dramatic change to a few years ago where clubs were reported to be losing like a combined $20mil?

Reply #917259 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

More about protecting from Google searches. Some people want live in a bubble where everything they do is amazing and positive.

Yes, I would say it's more about the outside world than us the small group of Hoops regulars.

Is there a Hoops name banning jinx? Voldemort never got another coaching gig and Kelly was sacked by Vicinity afterwards. Don't mess with us!

Reply #917260 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Most people would target say, the club Melbourne United if they fail, not the specific owner.

Not necessarily. One NBL example that comes to mind is McPeake who got way more heat over on the other board when he owned the Tigers over a sustained period of time and there was no name redaction. Kelly is just too precious.

Reply #917261 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Last year

Sixers aren't far off the pace would compare them to Melbourne United the first few years when they spent big and flopped.

Do a few things different and you can be there or thereabouts instead of just recruiting names.

Reply #917265 | Report this post

dddd  
Last year

Never heard about the Vicinity sitch before, and just read up on it now. Given that the internal review found him in the wrong says all you really need to know about the dude while Sixers fans gently weep.

Reply #917267 | Report this post

Uncle Dre  
Last year

What a bizarre interview!

Kelly effectively "we don't win many games, but I’m making some money now, so I’ll stick with it".

He owns a possibly profitable laughing stock.

Reply #917298 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last year

Not a bizarre interview at all. He has really turned it around business wise. He has spent the money for the team to be successfully. It's not his fault the coach hasn't been getting the results. The coach will get one more chance

Reply #917302 | Report this post

Uncle Dre  
Last year

He's overseen a documented toxic culture at Vicinity. And ASX company. And seems to be same at club he owns that has had 3 coaches in his time. Time to sell please Mr profit taker.

Reply #917303 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last year

I call BS on making money. It would being used as a tax loss centre to offset gains elsewhere. As a standalone entity I am very sceptical it holds its own. Roster was just under $3,000,000 that doesn't include taxes, admin staff, coaching staff, marketing, travel and accomodation, per diems, venue hire etc etc etc

$3,000,000 / 14 is $214,285 per game in net profit to cover the roster let alone all other costs.

$214,285 / 9000 is $24 profit per ticket for 9000 people which we all know didn't happen each game.

Reply #917310 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

That equation doesn't scratch the surface of either income or costs for running the business.

Reply #917311 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last year

Q Anon the ticket sales probably covers the salary when you take into consideration court side seats + corporate packages.

The other team/club expenses are probably covered by sponsorship which you didn't mention.

Either way it is not a huge profit and nor do NBL owners buy a club to make a huge profit.

Reply #917312 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Agreed that basic formulas don't help, but at the same time I’m sceptical that NBL clubs are financially at that breakeven or profit point in real terms.

If your financial strength has foundations on loss leading between businesses, accounting or tax gymnastics and reliant on a couple of larger sponsors that could drop out at any moment, then it’s not necessary financially stable in real terms despite perhaps technically breaking even.

I do think the NBL and clubs are in a significantly more stable place now financially and governance wise than ever before though. So I do think they would have made significant ground in that area which is fantastic.

Not that I, or many of us would have any actual insight/information into the NBL or club finances.

Reply #917315 | Report this post

Peter  
Last year

I don't know specifics, but based on family season ticket prices (where available) from website (cheapest option), average revenue per ticket should be as below. Have also estimated % of tickets in that category based on the stadium map.

General - $12.58 per person per game (20% of stadium)
Silver - $15.71 (20%)
Gold - $25.98 (20%)
Gold

Reply #917335 | Report this post

Peter  
Last year

Gold plus - $$41.42 (20%)
Other (platinum, celebrity, VIP, premium, big shed) $164 (20%)

Overall weighted average of $52.05 per ticket or $728.80 for season.

So income for season average crowd would be

5000 crowd = $3,644k
6000 = $4,373k
7000 = $5,101k
8000 = $5,830k
9000 = $5,559k

The above excludes all corporate tickets (which has been a focus and we are lead to believe is strong), food, beverage, merchandise so it is very possible and likely that the team is profitable given uplift in crowds.

The extra crowds are what allows more spend on the roster so hopefully good things are to come, particularly as we get past JVG legacy

Reply #917336 | Report this post

Peter  
Last year

Before anyone comments on maths, have broken down other category further to get average, but this gives general gist that break even crowd numbers with cheaper roster are likely lower than we think and higher crowd numbers with bigger spend like last year likely still a profitable position

Reply #917337 | Report this post

Peter  
Last year

9000 crowd is $6,558k....damn fat fingers

Reply #917338 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Food and beverage isn't club revenue as it is the stadium's income.

Reply #917364 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Food and beverage isn't club revenue as it is income to the venue operator.

Reply #917365 | Report this post

Peter  
Last year

Ok thanks PW, replace that with sponsorship.

Just don't think it's all doom and gloom and business model would be going ok.

Just need on court performance to do the same. Hopefully take a big step forward this year but remaining signings will be important.

Reply #917369 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Nice work on the estimated ticket turnover.

Reply #917373 | Report this post

Ski 61  
Last year

They sell a fair bit of merchandise too clearly

Reply #917399 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

How many Swoop City jerseys?

Reply #917401 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

No Sotto = no revenue surely lol

Reply #917408 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

No Sotto, No Party

Reply #917420 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:28 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754