ME
Last year

Rocco Zikarsky’s big debut

Well it's fair to say Rocco absolutely killed it today in his first game with the Bullets. I'll cut and paste a summary of the game, but it would not surprise me if this kid is everything they say he is...

"It was 'only' against a US college team but, if there was any doubt 222cm teenage giant Rocco Zikarsky wasn’t the real deal, he put that to bed with an incredible debut outing.

On an almost mystical night likely to be etched in Aussie basketball folklore, 1500 fans at the University of Sunshine Coast were treated to the first big step in the highly-touted Brisbane Bullets’ Next Star’s career - one many believe beckons NBA and international superstardom.

And what an outing it was against California Baptist University for the southeast Queenslander, just one month removed from his 17th birthday.

Zikarsky’s size is striking but the ability that goes with it helped him dominate his Cal Baptist opponents to the tune of 23 points impacting at both ends with eight rebounds and six blocks in a 75-47 win. The points came on 11 of 16 from the field in just 20 minutes of playing time.

SuperCoach NBL is coming soon

Rocco Zikarsky in action against California Baptist University.
Rocco Zikarsky in action against California Baptist University.
It wasn’t just the size and numbers that stood out, though.

Checking into the game midway through the first quarter, Zikarsky showed great early signs, his first pro bucket coming on an alley-oop from new Bullet Mitch Norton - who made his debut when his giant teammate was aged just five.

With eight points at the half, Zikarsky exploded in the third, scoring 13 in a row for the Bullets on a variety of post moves that showed off his nifty footwork and brute strength.

Yes, CBU is not an NBL team and Zikarsky will face far stiffer competition when the season-proper tips off, but there’s an ultra confidence in him that few teenagers possess - he demanded the ball from his more senior teammates and knew exactly what he was going to do when they honoured him.

It was a special night for Zikarsky in more ways than one — he came through the USC Rip City junior program, so many of those in attendance were his friends and family.

"It’s special to come back and play in front of everyone I’ve grown up around," Zikarsky said.

“I’ve been to a Bullets game back here in 2017, so to come back and be in this position to play in front of everyone (is special).”

Rocco Zikarsky in action at the Under-18 National Championships. Picture: Taylor Earnshaw Photography
Rocco Zikarsky in action at the Under-18 National Championships. Picture: Taylor Earnshaw Photography
Zikarsky has a two-year Next Star deal with the Bullets, with many of the belief he would would see limited playing time in season one as he learned his craft behind Boomers great Aron Baynes and fellow giant Tyrell Harrison.

But, if this is the sort of performance he can get close to on a nightly basis, he might just force the issue for new Bullets coach Justin Schueller.

It’s been a long time since the Boomers have had a genuine dominant monster in the medal, the last being Andrew Bogut but the potential on display from Zikarsky will only fuel the hope he can be a key contributor in an Aussie program already touted as a perennial medal contender behind the likes of young NBA stars Josh Giddey and Dyson Daniels.

More Coverage

NBL secures Aussie basketball’s next big thing

NBA superstar signs on with NBL SuperCoach
Without Nathan Sobey and new imports Shannon Scott and Chris Smith, the Bullets gave a first taste of what they will look like under former Melbourne United assistant Schueller, holding the Lancers to just 20 per cent from the field in a defence-first performance that they fought out right until the final buzzer - despite the 27-point margin.

Another young gun in Josh Bannan impressed in his Bullets debut with 12 points and nine boards, giving a glimpse of why the Indiana Pacers brought him in for off-season workouts earlier this year.

For CBU, only reserve forward Kendal Coleman managed double digits with 10, while Hunter Goodrich corralled a game-high 12 boards.

Originally published as NBL basketball news: Rocco Zikarsky showcases incredible talent on Brisbane Bullets debut

'

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/basketball/nbl-basketball-news-rocco-zikarsky-showcases-incredible-talent-on-brisbane-bullets-debut/news-story/b4e77a149dbfef9ede000723024deaee

Topic #51299 | Report this topic

Drexler  
Last year

Everything he did was impressive good for him. Looks like he will be a rotation player probably from the get go. Season so close I'm frothin

Reply #921758 | Report this post

Hooper  
Last year

CBU were a smallish college team, I'll wait to see what he’s like against men first

Reply #921759 | Report this post

+  
Last year

just watched the highlights - still was a physical game Rocco did really well

Reply #921761 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

I'm still sceptical purely based on my disbelief the Bullets are capable of making a good signing.

Reply #921763 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

Here are Zikarsky's highlights on the NBL's YouTube account.

Reply #921776 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Boomers need centres, 2027/28 likely.

Reply #921778 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Last year

Yup exactly Weedy Slug.
Hence maybe why as reported by the Wildcats
Harry Wessels was in camp with the Boomers in Cairns.
Any reports on how Harry went ?

Reply #921781 | Report this post

DennisRodmansHair  
Last year

I was really impressed, hopefully he's a staple in the rotation this season.

Reply #921787 | Report this post

JT  
Last year

Wouldn't be surprised if he took over Cooks role as small ball centre as soon as 2024

Reply #921791 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Not a chance he plays at the paris Olympics. Anything beyond that is possible.

Reply #921792 | Report this post

Crackers65  
Last year

The kid is only 16 yrs old. Has a huge future in front of him.

Reply #921802 | Report this post

Bullets  
Last year

The article said "he showed off his nifty footwork and brute strength". Not sure who wrote that but both points are false, especially the strength.

He's a good talent for sure, but he’s got a long way to go at one of the toughest positions to be effective at the next level.

Reply #921803 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

How didn't he show nifty footwork? He consistently got into his spots, with and without the ball, took the defender where he wanted and scored. And how didnt he show strenght? We're talking about a 17 year old boy competiting against guys much older than him. I think you might be expecting too much if you thought he'd just Shaq them out of his way.

Reply #921804 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last year

ME aren't they like 1-4 years older? I wouldn't say much older. Also I wouldn't read too much into it since it was against a really average College team (#158th predicted). Very talented player but lets wait to see how he goes against NBL teams before going too crazy

Reply #921805 | Report this post

Billy Bob  
Last year

How people underestimate just how good this kid is and will be sometimes is a head scratcher. The coordination, touch and timing he has is world class for that size, and that age. Kids that big often have those things as their biggest weakness.
He will be a top 5 pick. Him, giddey and Daniels will keep us winning medals for the future

Reply #921807 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:39 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754