Isaac
Last year

2023 World Cup Quarter Finals

Lithuania and Germany finish the group stages undefeated after Lithuania beat the USA, and Germany took down Slovenia.

Sep 5:
Lithuania vs Serbia
Italy vs USA

Sep 6:
Germany vs Latvia
Canada vs Slovenia

Predictions from here?

Topic #51375 | Report this topic

Big Fudge  
Last year

Gonna go with Lithuania, USA, Germany, Canada

Reply #924935 | Report this post

Cram  
Last year

Canada Vs Slovenia is the pick of the quarter finals for sure.

Really don't like this format at all. Both undefeated teams are in one side. USA loses their last game and is punished with the far easier path to the gold medal game?

Given they're so happy for maths to play a big part, why not do a re seeding after the group stages? Ensure those dead rubber games where both are going through actually matter as it clearly didnt in this case.

I'm still so annoyed wiht Kayo/ESPN Australia with their choices of games to show. Dead rubber between Greece and Montenegro and ultimately meaningless game between Slovenia and Germany instead of any of the do or die games happening in other groups. Why?

Reply #924938 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

I think Lithuania-Serbia is the hardest to pick.

Hopefully Canada wipes the floor with those whiny Slovenians.

Reply #924939 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

ESPN pre-scheduled all of the games to be aired on their liner channels instead of having any flexibility. It smacks of laziness to me.

The most recent example was last night where Canada-Spain wasn't available on any of the main channels.

Reply #924940 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

Yeah Lithuania/Serbia is tough. I would have picked Serbia pre the USA defeat but I'm going to lean towards Lithuania if they are able to execute even 2/3rds as well as last night.

USA-Germany-Canada the other games.

Reply #924941 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

There definitely should be re-seeding.

Lithuania beat the US and are rewarded with Serbia rather than Italy? That's a blight on the system.

Reply #924943 | Report this post

twenty four  
Last year

'Lithuania beat the US and are rewarded with Serbia rather than Italy? That's a blight on the system.'

I mean... Italy beat Serbia, so the other way round doesn't rally make sense either.

Reply #924944 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last year

Germany continue to be underrated?

I know the US haven't been as dominant recently anyway, but seems like a really good opportunity for someone else to take this out. Makes me contemplate how much the Boomers have wasted another opportunity with a below par showing, IMO.

Reply #924945 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Imagine being Lithuania. Beat USA then face Serbia as your reward. Two teams who have been very, very good.

Does anyone know what's up with Lithuania's team- only 4 carry over players from Eurobasket 22. Changing of the guard? Or player unavailability for this World cup?

(Or player unavailability last year and this year is their best team?)

Obviously Sabonis would be picked if available. But there's literally only 4 players from last year

Reply #924946 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

And they were actually OK in Eurobasket 22 as well-

Drew an insanely tough pool, lost a couple of games in OT. Including their round of 16 game vs eventual champs Spain. And a double OT loss to Germany.

Reply #924947 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

Italy beat Serbia and got to avoid undefeated Lithuania, instead getting the beatable USA...

Haven't watched any Lithuania or Serbia, but Serbia wanting to bounce back might have an attitude advantage over Lithuania riding high. (Most of my assessments are based on "have played their final" armchair psychology.)

Reply #924948 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

+/- is a good guide of strength of teams.

Serbia looks easily a better team than Italy to me. From the bits and pieces I've seen. They probably just had an off night.

Agree with the armchair psychology. If forced to pick, I'd pick Serbia to win, based on the fact they've already had a bad (or underachieving game) and Lithuania is "due" a bad game.

Reply #924950 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Lithuania-Serbia is an even money matchup and should be epic.

US/Germany/Canada are huge favourites in the other games but it feels like Latvia are being underestimated again?

I don't rate Italy or Slovenia.

Reply #924951 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Slovenia looks like the worst of the 8 quarter finalists

Apart from beating Australia (where we missed loads of wide open threes, and were a long way off our best), they've been totally uninspiring.

Took until the 4th quarter to put Cape Verde and Venezuela away. Got mauled by Germany.

Cumulatively across the 5 games, Germany, Lithuania and Serbia have been the 3 best teams.

USA has been unimpressive- got an easy pool first up. Battled hard vs NZ. But as the tourny goes on, expect them to improve. Now they've faced a real test against an awesome Euro team, it might sharpen them up and they go on to win. Hope I'm wrong.

Reply #924952 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

I mean... Italy beat Serbia, so the other way round doesn't rally make sense either.

Good point, that's on Serbia for losing to them.

Re-seeding should occur though as the same bracket containing two undefeated teams in Lithuania and Germany doesn't make sense.

Reply #924954 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Who underrated Germany? I reckon they were a medal proposition like Australia heading into the tournament

Reply #924955 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last year

KET, me. LOL.

Reply #924959 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

I certainly would not underestimate Latvia, deadly three point shooters and tough inside playing great team ball.
US and Canada look most likely to go through, the other two could go either way.

Reply #924970 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Last year

Has Goran gone on socials to accuse the USA of tanking?

Reply #924971 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Am I the only one celebrating Spain being eliminated before the quarterfinals?!!!

Woohoo!!!!

Reply #924987 | Report this post

DennisRodmansHair  
Last year

Lithuania, USA, Germany, Canada

Reply #925030 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Last year

It was a joke Spain, Canada wasn't on ESPN. Watching the replay now.

Reply #925039 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Germany v Latvia not on anywhere I can find. Should be a good game, Lithuania v Serbia, no problem.

Reply #925045 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

On tomorrow, Germany v Latvia so could change hopefully.

Reply #925046 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

No time outs, neither team in foul trouble in first 1/4, both these teams are so well drilled and coached. Lithuania 25-24. Cracking game.

Reply #925050 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Scarily good teams. I doubt if we could have stayed with either for more than a quarter.

Reply #925051 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Lithuania the masters of the professional foul, Serbia the masters of the over-acting to suck in the ref. And both are very tough physical teams playing at speed.

I pity the refs.

Reply #925053 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

I pity us viewers listening to these commentators.

Reply #925054 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

Boomers would've been stomped by either of these squads. Impressive play so far.

Reply #925057 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

USA laughing so hard right now fading Serbia.

Steve Kerr did suspiciously look extremely happy after the Lithuania defeat.

Reply #925058 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Good comment hoopie, refs been good though.

Serbia are a machine, should probably lead by more and to think the best player in the world isn't there.

Great game and not over but Lithuania are going find something special.

Reply #925059 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

I'm watching on mute, PW. Those commentators were getting into my head too much.

One of them sounds like a Van Gundy, and those guys just love the sound of their own voices.

Reply #925062 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

I'd love be to hear some insight from a Serb and Lithuanian colour commentator right now. FIBA lift in this department please.

Reply #925065 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

The thing about the commentary is that they both love the game, are knowledgeable as well. Each to their own though.

Serbia absolutely outstanding.

Reply #925067 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

Is it just me or does Serbia, when on defense, watch the ball handler a lot more than other teams? Like it's a conscious strategy to watch the play more than their player?

Reply #925070 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

Lithuanian reminding me a bit of Greece 2006. Shot the lights out to get past the USA then couldn't back it up next game

Reply #925072 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

How can anyone watch that game and think ingles or Kay could compete.

Boomers need lots of mobile big guys who can switch and defend inside and out in that 3-4 man position

6'7-7’0 stock
White
Travers
Cooks
Pinder
Bolden, have to wait and see with him
Simmons
Maker

Unfortunately none of them can shoot very well.

Reply #925073 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

And our better defenders wouldn't offer anything near what these guys also offer on offense - the Serbs are outstanding individually and collectively at both ends of the court.

Reply #925074 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

If Giddey and mills start and are scoring 15-20 each, woukd be interesting having 6'10 SFs and PFs who cannot shoot and instead have them rebound and start the break with our centres like Landale,Reath, maker taking 3s on offense.

Reply #925078 | Report this post

Yup  
Last year

All these different Boomer lineups don't actually solve any problems...

Where’s the 3 point shooting gonna come from??

Reply #925083 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Unfortunately we don't have many...

Reply #925084 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

US cruising, goat coach and goat player on commentary.

Reply #925091 | Report this post

SmallieBiggs  
Last year

Italy shooting like the Boomers.

Reply #925092 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Armchair psychology wins

Reply #925096 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

How's Serbia vs Dominican Republic- shot 35/41 on 2 point field goals. 85%

Reply #925108 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Interesting how Italy upset Serbia, gifting USA the easier Quarter final match up and now USA have their confidence up

Italy also upset Serbia in the round of 16 at Eurobasket. 2 years running they upset them at a major tournament
Sport so much depends on matchups and styles.

Reply #925110 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Tonight's games- I'll tip Germany cos they seem a more rounded team than Latvia. If they can reduce Latvia's 3 point shooting to manageable levels they can win.

Canada to win over Slovenia but this is interesting, Canada have slowed down, relied on some Dillon Brooks big shots to come from behind vs Spain after losing to Brazil the game before. There's question marks there. If Doncic brings his best Slovenia could cause the upset. But on balance Gotta tip Canada

Reply #925111 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

Interesting how Italy upset Serbia, gifting USA the easier Quarter final match up and now USA have their confidence up
But Lithuania "upset" USA which might have switched things around again?

Reply #925116 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Yes- the eventual QF matchups were the matchups people originally expected, before both upsets occurred

Reply #925123 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Given Canada's drop off in form and lack of experience in big events they're an enigma for mine.

Makes it especially frustrating in hindsight that Australia lost to Germany

Who knows, Canada may rediscover their form from here. But the way it looks right now, they're looking more vulnerable than they were last week. Only a few clutch shots from Brooks got them out of jail and saved them from elimination

Reply #925125 | Report this post

Rat10  
Last year

Haven't seen much of Latvia but you'd think Germany would take this first game. Been incredibly impressed with Schroder's play - he was unbelivable against Slovenia and completely controlled that game.

I couldn't stand Schroder's constant flopping in the recent NBA playoffs when he was with the Lakers but he's kept that to a minimum here from what I've seen and just played basketball which is good to see.

Reply #925144 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Latvia good start, even if Germany win this, I can't see them getting a medal.

Reply #925146 | Report this post

Rat10  
Last year

Nope. Schroder back to his flopping ways. Disappointing.

Reply #925147 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

They're all flopping, Germany more though. Schroder having a shocker.

Reply #925148 | Report this post

Regardless of the outcome of the game, take a look at how Latvia defends against Schroder.
Latvia plays switch defense without using double teams or hard hedges.
However, the Boomers defense was not normal because Giddey, Mills, and Kay had problems with their defense.

Reply #925149 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Schroder totally psyched out

Reply #925151 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Latvia showing team work and shooters win y games.

Reply #925152 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Game on here with a 1/4 to go.

Reply #925153 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Cracking game, magnificent finish, commentary was great. Germany very average, led well in the last and let Latvia back in. Latvia nearly won it on last shot. In Germany favour, had bad day and still had enough class to win it.

Reply #925154 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Dam, wanted latvia to win...

Reply #925155 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Exciting young team latvia.
Well done to zee germans.

Reply #925156 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Fun fact: Latvia won EuroBasket in 1935.

Reply #925158 | Report this post

A lot of our early basketball history featured Latvian immigrants. Some of the early mentors I looked up to as a kid in Wollongong were from Latvia.

Reply #925160 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Luka gets hit so many times refs get sick calling them. Tough game this one, physical both sides.

Reply #925162 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

A lot of our early basketball history featured Latvian immigrants. Some of the early mentors I looked up to as a kid in Wollongong were from Latvia.

I believe Lemanis has Latvian heritage?

Reply #925163 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Yes, he was a HC option for latvia after he finished with the boomers.

Reply #925164 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Looks like

USA vs Germany
Serbia vs Canada

Reply #925165 | Report this post

Pinch  
Last year

Refs really sucked the life out of this game. Let everything go in the first half then blew everything in the second.

Reply #925166 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Last year

Who'd wanna be a ref trying to work out when these Euros flop or don't. None of them have ever committed a foul in their lives and sook after EVERY damn call. Not enough that they make soccer unwatchable now they are ruining this. If they spent their energy on playing instead of sooking you would get quite the spectacle.

Reply #925167 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Lemanis, I believe was Lithuanian.

Reply #925168 | Report this post

Rat10  
Last year

Don't blame the refs. Luka goes searching for and initiates contact on virtually every possession. Difference is, the FIBA refs don't fall for it unlike the NBA where he'll get those calls which in my view has made the NBA a much less enjoyable product to watch.

Luka then whines when he doesn't get the call and thinks he should be protected - the refs had righfully had enough and ejected him.

Brooks seemed to have some issue with Prepelic and wouldn't stop talking to him.

Reply #925169 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

I'm wrong, Latvian it is.

Reply #925171 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Last year

The overly Luka-centric offense and Slovenia's incessant complaining to the officials was their undoing. The refs completely lost control of the game, and their calls in the 2nd half were so inconsistent to Slovenia's detriment. That can happen though if you put them through so much scrutiny throughout a game.

Canada are a good team and a worthy semi-finalist.

Reply #925173 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Another take on it https://basketnews.com/news-194338-luka-doncic-gets-ejected-canada-easily-beats-slovenia.html

Luka finally got what he deserved. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Reply #925174 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Latvia became everyone's 2nd favourite team by the end of this tournament. Sad to see them go. Was really hoping they'd finish top 2 Euro so we could see them in the Olympics. Still possible

Reply #925175 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

Classification games to come:

Italy-Latvia, Sep 7
Lithuana-Slovenia, Sep 7

Then losers from those two games play on Sep 9, followed by the two winners.

See separate thread for the semi-final match-ups.

Reply #925184 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

I have Slovenian heritage and have enjoyed barracking for them as a second team in various events. And I can appreciate Doncic's talent. But the complaining makes him unbearable enough that no part of me felt like supporting them in this World Cup. He really needs to put a lid on it because it will increasingly work to the detriment of his game.

Reply #925187 | Report this post

Cram  
Last year

Luka is so damn good and I genuinely think he got a tough whistle last night compared to SGA, but DAMN he doesn't do himself any favours with his carry on. Just gives the refs every reason to not want to reward him and pay any 50-50 calls. Really enjoyed seeing him tossed. Would love the NBA to do so more with superstars carrying on like that.

Reply #925189 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

I'm with you on that - I’m in awe of their talent, but when they think they’re bigger than the game then they lose my support.

Sadly, there are enough in the NBA, soccer, etc, who are treated like gods by the media and the players’ hangers-on, and nothing I do will change that.

You’d have to be a brave official to take on a superstar (and the powers behind them) if you want a long and successful career.

Reply #925191 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

I have to wonder if the refs will go looking for Luka's antics now that he has 'history’, or will stay objective and just react when necessary.

Reply #925195 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

It would be hard to stop the whining but boy Luka cops some contact. Those step back threes are entertaining on their own.

Reply #925197 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

"I have Slovenian heritage and have enjoyed barracking for them as a second team in various events. And I can appreciate Doncic's talent. But the complaining makes him unbearable enough that no part of me felt like supporting them in this World Cup. He really needs to put a lid on it because it will increasingly work to the detriment of his game."

I watch next to no NBA outside of Finals these days, but when I do catch the odd game here or there and Doncic is playing, it's the exact same thing. I can appreciate the fact that he's a top-3 player overall, but he makes it really hard to enjoy watching him play basketball.

Reply #925199 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

SGA meanwhile, gets to the line reliably, but there never seems to be much drama in it. He's quite methodical. Just goes to work.

Reply #925202 | Report this post

Knockdown3  
Last year

I think part of the reason why Doncic didn't get the calls he wanted is because he plays for the foul too much.
Interesting to see the fiba refs not succumb to the 'superstar' status and the expectations that come with that on their part.

Reply #925208 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

Italy closed on Latvia near the end when they appeared to be coasting, but Grazulis hit a final three to finish with 28 (12/13 FG). No Fontecchio for Italy.

Lithuania in control of the other game behind JV's 24 and 12. Doncic 29 on 7/21 with 5 TO. Luka played 37 minutes though he's often in cruise mode, so maybe the injury risk isn't too elevated?

Reply #925232 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Slovenia had a very average tournament except against Australia. Their win over the Boomers was the outlier. Got gifted an easy pool, got the important win over Australia but otherwise very unimpressive- worked hard to beat minnows Venezeula and Cape Verde. Lost by double digits to Canada and Lithuania. Got smashed by Germany.

Reply #925236 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Slovenia beat australia with Luka D in big foul trouble, the more I think about boomers performance the more depressing it is. Hopefully a few changes for Olympics.

Reply #925250 | Report this post

Yup  
Last year

Nicely Put LV

That being said I think the boomers are in trouble moving forward and Germany is about to enter an era of contention

Side note - the results have been all over the place, there's prolly ten countries who can beat each other, the teams that win are those that get hot from 3

Reply #925252 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

I think a few tweaks make a lot of difference though.

The talent is there, the balance just wasn't and that had a ripple effect of consequences. That’s why I compared the Boomers to the 36ers which people laughed at even though it was clearly a good comparison of what happens when talent superiority doesn’t work out.

A fit and healthy side with Landale back makes a big difference, it collapses the D, gives more fluidity to Boomers offence, more space, more scoring options. In defence they wouldn’t have to overcommit and overswitch - they could play honest defence without having critical mismatches and not play behind/reactive all the time.

Shooting is obviously an issue going forward. I don’t think there will be a resolution for Paris. Clearly they’re not comfortable using Goulding and prefer to use their athletic wings instead.

Reply #925253 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

I'm sure that the BA review will sort it all out ... NOT!

Regardless of what they find out, Goorjian’s job is safe for another year, Matt Scriven has said publicly. While that doesn’t explicitly say that BA won’t include the coaching performance in the review, perhaps BA is signalling that even if the finger gets pointed at Goorjian, they cannot afford to replace him in time for Tokyo.

I’ll be very pissed off if the players and referees cop all the blame.

Reply #925255 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Serbia by 8 at 1/4 time, playing very well, Canada look good, Serbia just better

Reply #925264 | Report this post

Yup  
Last year

Ket - none of that solves any problems, Dyson will have another NBA year, and will start to have an impact, Dyson will take more backup pg minutes and Exum will play more 2. Neither of those guys are shooters, adding Landale and Simmons makes us more talented and a better version of what we already are, a team that struggles to score because teams pack the paint due to the lack of shooting.

You can come up with as many solutions and lineups as you like, they all lack shooting, Goulding clearly isn't up to it at this level, I’ve said it many times, CG struggles against long wings which is all of FIBA.

The Bronze medal game was all Patty, without him we wouldn’t have been close.

This team lives and dies off Patty Mills, and the rest of the world has caught up and Patty probably isn’t enough on his own anymore

Just watching this Serbia game with Bogdonavich, we have no one like that.

We don’t have the shooters to compete with these moneyball Euro teams...

Reply #925266 | Report this post

To be honest, Goulding gets good reviews because he barely got any playing time in this World Cup. His playing time in international competitions continued to decline.
I think Goulding and Delly's time ended at the 2019 World Cup.

Reply #925283 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

Maybe not worth a new thread, but the classification games today are:

Italy-Slovenia for 7th; 18:15 Adelaide time
Latvia-Lithuania for 5th; 22:00 Adelaide time

Not sure if any of those placings are critical for Olympic qualifying?

Italy-Slovenia is an interesting match-up to see if Doncic is finally rested or how he recovers after three straight defeats.

Reply #925358 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

Slovenia cruising and Doncic being fairly Doncicy.

Reply #925423 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Germany and Serbia have qualified.

Those 4 Euro teams playing tonight will play the Olympic qualifying tournaments and have already qualified for those I think.

Reply #925424 | Report this post

Yup  
Last year

Yeah I can't see Goulding making the Olympic team, better off taking a big or proctor, especially with another NBA year under Daniels belt...

Reply #925425 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Latvia demolishing big brother.

Reply #925429 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:57 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754