Noti Bagy
Years ago

big step for the NBL into Asia

China knocking on NBL door

Topic #5225 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

IMO, they need to look at allowing an optional third import for each team from an Asian country. It would impede the job prospects of a few young Australian players, but might open up opportunities for others to play abroad.

Reply #59763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the NBL should concentrate on getting more crowds to Australian games and then FTA will follow.

Reply #59764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

we realistically have never had free to air

when they tried it in the early 90s when basketball was bigger than it is now it bombed and they did delayed telecasts

some of you IMO are dreaming

Reply #59765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you are confusing free to air with live to air.
Free to air was on several years before Channel 10's promise of live basketball was tried.

Reply #59767 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

early 80's to mid 90/s fta worked well and was in prime tv slots, one of the problems i see for not having it now is its not consider "main" stream tv sport considering we are in a period of time when v8,afl,cric, rugby,gp,motogp.soccer have taken up the maj of the allocated tv space for sport,

only way to get it back to a state ready for FTA is to seriously have a look at the current structure of how the game is promoted and marketed, not only that there needs to be a greater seperation of nbl pressure (or lack of dep on club) and vice versa they clubs should not have as much say into what happens. there needs to be a happy mix atm the moment its the "power" clubs dictating the terms of fox matches etc. etc..

Reply #59778 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

this is good and bad.
good - they get one of the worlds best players in the allstar game and china will have some interest in seeing their best guard play.
bad - this takes away a spot from a well deserving import and means it isnt an NBL ALLSTAR game.

Reply #59797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm living in Asia now and there was major advertising and coverage of the NBL's games both this year and last. It can only be a good thng for the league to try and expand the market, maybe leading to an aussie team being able to qualify for the Asia Basketball Club Championships?? Basketball is the sleeping giant over here behind Football (sorry, soccer!) I hope to see more NBL games in Asia in the future.

Reply #59838 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:49 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754