Low Post
Years ago

City South - Why Bother?

What is the rationale behind creating a junior competition between two clubs, only open to division 3 and lower, scheduled on a Sunday afternoon?

No one I have spoken to is in support of the concept, certainly the idea has not been explained to me by my club (I have asked only to be stonewalled with 'your kid could always play some place else'). Indeed, the cynic could imagine that the idea is to p*ss these players and their famiies off altogether!

We are extremely fortunate to have the number of kids participating in junior basketball and the problem of finding good coaches is acknowledged. I don't see that City South is the answer in the present format.

What do you think?

Topic #5270 | Report this topic

On the Outer  
Years ago

Low Post,

While I agree that the games don't equal the benifit of a training session my question to you would be; would you be willing to train Sunday morning then play Sunday afternoon?

I'm sure both clubs have explained previously that Sunday afternoon is not their preference but as BASA run the venues they are using not them they are forced to use the courts when they are available.

On the topic of Domestic Competitions in general they are definately the way to go. Sturt and to a lesser extent Forestville have grown their numbers through the Sturt Blue Devils and Forestville Falcons. Those are the players the Domestic Leagues are set up for. They will continue to feed into the Junior District Programs of the two clubs and make them even stronger and deeper then they are already.

I know it may not seem like a good structure at the moment (and I agree currently there are many issues) long term Domestic Competitions will definately benifit any club which gets involved.

Reply #60140 | Report this post

Scott Butler  
Years ago

Go to citysouth.basketball.net.au and there is a full explanation of the rationale behind the comp.

Like everything new it has its good and bad points. The kids I have been involved with (having taken trainings and games on and off for the past 1 and a bit years) like the extra game instead of training but some parents I have spoken to prefer the extra training.

Some people like the last Sunday afternoon time as they can do family stuff early in the morning and lunchtime (some can even go to Church!). Others like to get it out the way and have the rest of the day free.

As it grows and expands I guess there will be more flexibility in game times and training times.

The two clubs are working together to better service a traditionally poorly serviced area, the lower divisions, by reducing cost and travel time and hopefully improving the fun factor through more game play.

I don't know if you are from Fville or Sturt but I am happy to discuss anything basketball with anyone most times I am in a stadium. Paul A and Paul M are both very approachable as is Darryl Simmons at Sturt.

Low Post, it sounds like you don't like it and that's fine, but many others have told us it is a huge step forward and do like it very much.

Reply #60143 | Report this post

nutter  
Years ago

from what ive herd and seen this sounds like a good idea, and is good for the clubs involved.
just out of curiosity is this comp run by basa if so why is there no "city-north" for north, norwood and centrals or "city west" woodville and west????

Reply #60149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its not run by Basa.

Reply #60150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a good idea but no-one involved is updated regualarly enough. The changes to the programm are changed on the website but the people in charge aren't told about it.

Reply #60172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i play it, we (u16) V u20 ridiculous and i'm a first year!

Hardly anyone from the opposition turn up i think there will be a petition against it.

Stupid City-South

Reply #60175 | Report this post

bagwan  
Years ago

it has its place - i would like 3 months on - 3 months off though

why south adelaide do not hop on board is beyond me

Reply #60180 | Report this post

eagle  
Years ago

My child played city/south last year. I did not find it improved the teams skills at all. At first it was very disorganised and the team fee had to be adjusted. The problem for us was that we did not want to let the team down by not turning up. OK in winter but in summer when there were social activites it became tedious and the teams were playing with 5 players or ring ins eg sisters who were not in the same age group.Plus parents stayed for the whole hour whereas if it was a training session on most occasions they go off to shop or garden etc.I agree, maybe have winter games, summer training.

Reply #60200 | Report this post

Wateva  
Years ago

Appart from giving kids extra on court time. With it's current structure it is pointless to have kidds play. There isn't enough teams involved to make the competition competetive. It's just a waste of time and money on a sunday. I mean seriously what is the point if playing U16div4s against U18div2/3s.

Reply #60255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"bagwan" south adelaide does not want to hop on board for precisely the above posts.
There is too much feed back via many sources (not just on hoops) that people are generally unhappy with what "city south" has to offer.
When we get some positive feedback from the grass roots (players & parents) & not from the people running it we are not going to touch it for our members.

Reply #60302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it's pathetic

get rid of it

don't go against this post because City-South is stupid, i play it

WASTE OF TIME!

Reply #60336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was the decision for South to forego City-South made by their coaching director? Who is it now that Robbo's moved on?

Reply #60339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ha! Ha!

Reply #60347 | Report this post

odiodinn  
Years ago

I aplaud the efforts taken to setup and run this competition, as a step in the right direction. District basketball (at least at the junior level) is falling apart at the seems, especially in the lower divisions. with fee's and costs increasing out of control, one of the few sports weher you have to pay to watch your own children play, or worse still pay, then score and not get to watch them play.
Coaches are becoming scarcer, and there is always the issue of finding enough umpires.
BASA willy-nilly changing game times to suit the NBL audience stats, or flower shows, scheduling double headers etc to fit games into the season.
and the latest GEM lets cut 5 rounds out of a season thats already started.
This sort of stuffing around is more likley to be tolerated by the div1/2 teams & players as they have realistic aspirations of achieving something in the sport, state/national olympic or NBL selection. the lower divisions play for a different reason, personal achievement, social activity etc. as such they (and I refer to the whole family) are fed up with the constant stream of inconvience, and last minutes changs that is basketball is SA.
Anyway as I said I see theese competetion as the future and may well offer what basa doesnt, afforadble reliable, consistant basketball, for the none-elite athlete,(which for thoses wanting to smell the roses is the overwhelming majority).
Anyway thats my rant,
I hope to se similar comps in othe other areas soon.
(and no I'm not associated with sturt, or the south comp, or any of those teams)

Reply #60880 | Report this post

woftam  
Years ago

south did not get involved because their rationale was that the kids that did not make sturt div 1 or 2 teams would go over to them. How stupid are they. The reverse is happening - their div 1 or 2 kids go to forestville or sturt to play in div 2 or 3 teams - just to try to get some good coaching. We were one of many to leave the ferrals, we want more than our kids to be taught how to play a zone.

Reply #60912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You must have had a bad experience woftam, not all the coaches are like that.
I recently did ask a South coach why they aren't going in City South and he replied that the second training is too valuable for players under division two as they are the ones that need developing. He suggested it be a competition for 2 and 1 teams instead.
City South doesn't make any sense to me. Sturt teams playing Forestville teams and that's it? The Blue Devils and the Falcons already have teams in the Unley SFA competition on Saturday afternoons, why does everyone play again on Sunday?
Fees may be subsidised but doesn't the game fees add on eventually? It actually may cost more to play City South then have a second training. The bright side is at least for most parents the travel time isn't too bad.

Reply #61052 | Report this post

Bobby6killer  
Years ago

"the second training is too valuable for players under division two"

As someone who has coached numerous teams below division two. I could not dissagree with this more!

Lower division trainings are usually larger groups of less disciplined players, with much greater variance in skill level. So to plan and run a training that benifits all and is of suficcient intensity for the WHOLE session is really hard.
And IMO beyond the ability of most lower division coaches, who are usually parents who coach to make up numbers.

Reply #63262 | Report this post

Amazed  
Years ago

Finding decent social basketball for kids is a problem. Starplex only play 2 x 15 minute halves (14 and under) and if they are running behind they end up being cut back further than that. The thought of a City South style competition north of Salisbury sounds appealing. You southerners should be grateful of the opportunities you have. Even if you dont like it.

Reply #70892 | Report this post

xl  
Years ago

try the pines @ parafeild gardens not to bad for social

Reply #70942 | Report this post

Years ago

Apologies Bobby but the coach I talked to was very experienced and capable of running such trainings successfully. I myself have no problem running multiple team trainings however would much prefer just one team to overcome the varying skill levels which you so rightly pointed out.
Maybe investing in a couple of coaches beginner courses for their inexperienced parents may do the clubs some good?

Reply #71549 | Report this post

Vadersmate  
Years ago

My son staretd off in div 2's a few years ago, but as time went by his skills where not up to the standard required. As a result he started plumiting thruogh div 3 & 4's. With homework and school sporting commitments district basketball was (for him & us ) loosing its appeal with 2 or 3 training sessions and 1 game every week coupled with the high cost of being in the competition.

My son now plays City-South and loves it. He does not have to train the house down 2 or 3 sessions a week, nor does he have to sit on the bench and come on for junk time every qtr only to get screamed at that he has not done a play properly. He just goes out and plays his heart out and has fun.I am in no way talking up my kid but the standard is poor at times; however my son has never been the one of the best players in any team he has been in apart from this comp. He trains if he has time, plays and enjoys his basketball again.

One point that was mentioned earlier is the prevelance of teams doing no shows is high. If this can be fixed and prehaps another club came into the comp, I recon this could get bigger & better.

I also have a daughter who is looking forward to having an extra game to practice some basics in next year.

City - South has it's place but is not for everyone.

Reply #77314 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:39 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754