Isaac
Years ago

Funny Sixers beat Tigers for tenth straight at home

The Adelaide 36ERS last night ended the visiting Melbourne Tigers seven-game streak and notched up their tenth in a row at home to strengthen their second spot on the NBL ladder, winning 109-92. Brett Maher was at his best, scoring an equal team-high 24 points at 53% and adding 7 rebounds and game-high 9 assists. Import Willie Farley added 20 points of his own and 8 assists while Dusty Rychart had 24 points.

For Melbourne, Dave Thomas was in top form, scoring 28 and adding 7 boards.

The Sixers led at every break to run out 17 point victors. The positive sign for the home fans was undoubtedly the third quarter, a period in which teams have tended to exploit Adelaide's slow starts after the half-time break. Maher and Rychart poured in 21 points between them during the term, and Oscar Forman made two from outside the arc as Adelaide outscored Melbourne 30-19 and went into the last twelve minutes with an 85-73 advantage.

In front of a quality crowd of 5,487 at the Distinctive Homes Dome, Adelaide built a slight lead at the opening, courtesy of Rychart and Jacob Holmes who shot well early.

Key Tiger Chris Anstey saw extensive time on the court but was rarely a focus for the visiting side, pushed into taking almost half of his field goals from the three-point line, and only converting three shots from the paint all night.

Farley and Maher combined for six steals against Melbourne who coughed up 21 turnovers to the Sixers 10 and helped decide the game.

Adelaide incurred a technical foul in the second quarter and Melbourne converted both free throws to push a small lead, but the 36ERS were not deterred. Farley's steal and successful fast break almost on the half-time buzzer gave Adelaide a 55-54 scoreline.

In the crucial third period, it was basket for basket until Farley and Maher each scored and gave Adelaide a handy double-figure lead.

Melbourne had the firepower to break their way back into the game, and had reeled in part of the deficit with star Anstey on the bench and still to rejoin the game. But more magic from Maher and Farley, including a trademark last-term three from the import, and 5 points in the quarter from Mark Nash sealed the win.

Adelaide secure second spot with a 14-4 record, while the Tigers are firm in third on 13-5. Adelaide next face the Bullets in Brisbane on November 30, while Melbourne host Perth later in the round.

Adelaide 36ERS 109 (Rychart 24, Maher 24, Farley 20, Holmes 11, Nash 10)
Melbourne Tigers 92 (Thomas 28, Hoare 15, Anstey 13)

Topic #5281 | Report this topic

yogee  
Years ago

Who was the tech on, and was it for verbalising the refs?

Reply #60231 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

Play of the game was a close call between Farley's dunk that was challenged by DT and the Adelaide fan who came up with the game's biggest steal...that of the Tigers fan's broom.

Biggest cheer of the game was for the steal of the broom so my vote's for that one.

Crowd was so loud when it happened that even the Tigers' players were looking around the crowd to see what was going on during the time out.

Awesome stuff!

Reply #60233 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Good to be back at the Dome for the game, the broom antics was quality.

Why was the broom there? :-)

Reply #60237 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

The vics for some strange reason thought they were going to sweep the series, even tho we won the first game. Not very smart those vics. Good on the 2 girls up in the back row dancing along with the sixers girls too!!

Reply #60240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

While the atmosphere definately add to the excitement of the game I personally have to question the club about the use of the "you suck" chanting the P.A. and music man encouraged every time they and the crowd disliked a call.

Considering the current climate and the Association's efforts to improve player and spectator behaviour towards referees and the clear struggles of retaining referees at all levels, I feel this kind of behaviour only makes things worse. How many young kids would want to become an NBL referee after hearing something like that?

Reply #60246 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Aww come on it's all in good fun, personally it was great to hear the crowd get involved in it so much, would you prefer they resort to the old chant (Umpires a wanker....)?

Anon - You Suck! :-) (Just Joking)

Reply #60251 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think the "you suck" chant is quality crowd involvement. It's a good tune and if the crowd choose to get involved with the accompanying chant, so be it.

Reply #60272 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

I have to agree with anonymous "you suck" had a few of the kids in the area i sit in (east) asking their parents what everyone was saying. I dont like it much - i'd prefer to let the crowd make their own calls up for the umpiring or opposition.
I'm surprised the NBL hasnt questioned it yet .

Great atmosphere at the game - as good as any final i've been to in past years.

Reply #60276 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

I'm somewhat surprised by that skyhook, not that 'I'm down' with the kids these days but I though WWE was bigger than ever at the moment in Aus?

Perhaps these kids you are mentioning are younger than the wwe generation coming through?

Reply #60278 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

It's nice that the 36ers is a night out that the whole family can enjoy, but at the same time I think the crowd has been sanitized to the point where the atmosphere is not nearly as good at the 36ers as it was 10 years ago. The crowd doesn't get involved as one in the same way they used to, so we shouldn't be too critical of probably the idea that works the best in getting more crowd involved in one voice. And before you ask, yes I am a Mum.

Reply #60288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not of a referee tho obviously Jasmine.

Reply #60308 | Report this post

Jo  
Years ago

My 10 yo daughter and her two step sisters who yelling DEFENCE etc. Cheering really loudly as thats what we are there for. As soon as she said "please miss" to the melbourne players shooting the guy next to her elbowed her and told her not to say that. Who gives him the right to say something to my daughter in a public place. If you dont want noise go to a library!!

Reply #60310 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

Anon..how nice your heart bleeds for the poor refs.

Besides, Phil Haines is with out question one of the worst officals in the NBL and it yet again proved it on Saturday night.

Reply #60312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luckily for Phil your opinion means absolutely nothing Jasmine.

I could list all the accomplishments Phil has as a referee but I'm sure no facts I inform you of would change your already biased opinion.

Reply #60313 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

LOL. That hurts. You Phil Haine's Uncle for something. Go away.

Reply #60318 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

1) the atmosphere was brilliant on Sat..best for some time

2) whatever(you suck) gets the crowd to join in is good value

3)anyone who tells someone to be quiet at a sports event should be immediatley pointed to and laughed at..and maybe chanted (you suck)

4) sixers to pour salt on the bullet wounds and take tonite by 1 point in double overtime and while bullets are at a time out hehehehe

5)banner for friday...
a big $ sign, rogers face and the bottom hal;f of a ladder.

Reply #60522 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Get Skip to get a t-shirt with "I'm Paul Rogers" written on it, and chase Booga around the court while he's holdiing a giant money bag...

Reply #60525 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:45 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754