375 ML
Years ago

Are BASA slowly killing the Sixers?

Are BASA slowly killing the Sixers?

I heard a rumour that a very influential player on the 36ers team is not happy at the way the board have been treating him and could very easily ask for a release to play over seas or for a rival club.

Two former greats (one man and one women) of the club are rumoured to be taking legal actions over the way they have been dealt with by the club and are seriously not happy about the way they left the organization.

I don't think it is wise to name any names on a public forum but I just wanted to start this threat so it is public knowladge that everything is not going great guns at the 36ers and BASA.

If the trends continue how long until the club has no players and are virtually a basket case. How long until the Adelaide 36ers turn into the Fitzroy lions and self-destruct?

Tell me to mind my own business or shut the hell up but being a season ticket holder and one for the last 15 years I don't know how long this will continue if the club keeps treating there own this way.

Topic #5337 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

None of this is particularly new and I don't think that anyone is under the impression that the scenario with BASA is rosy. But I have heard nothing but good things so far about the new CEO and I figure he should be given a chance to see what he can do.

Reply #60746 | Report this post

375 ML  
Years ago

Fair enough, point taken

But I was not having a go at the new CEO

Reply #60750 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Don't get me wrong, I think you're right to be concerned and there have been enough 'horror stories' going around recently, but they've made a change at the top and hopefully we'll see some good signs over the coming months.

Reply #60751 | Report this post

Music Man  
Years ago

Must say that the new CEO has done nothing but impress since his arrival.

The 2 that you speak of i doubt that they would have left under his watch IMO.

If you speak to people around the sixers they ALL speak highly of Milke Dawes and hold high hopes for the future of all basketball in SA.

(Mod: Maybe one day people will speak as highly of your typing... Har har!)

Reply #60752 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Music Man,

Just keeping sweet with the new boss r u?

Smart move to praise the man who cuts the cheques!

Reply #60754 | Report this post

375 ML  
Years ago

What had me concerned was the respect not being shown to the player and his potential leaving that may come out of this. He could have umpteen offers if he let it know he was interested in leaving.

Reply #60755 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

This has nothing to do with anything, but I am so putting up my hand to come up with the new Basketball South Australia slogan, ie:

"Basketball South Australia: Totally BS, A!"

Reply #60758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"is not happy at the way the board have been treating him and could very easily ask for a release"....how come the Board is involved in his treatment? ....not enough pats on the arse or what? not sure why Board members should be so close to players to affect them anyways..player concentrates on playing...Board member maybe concentrate on the business side

Reply #60760 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

hmmm well said anonymous # 60760

and Bo you deserve a litle basketball for that :)

Reply #60762 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

agreed 60760 if a players worried bout praise from the board then there something wrong, the two areas shouldnt mix players and coaches should be left to playing and board members to board

Reply #60783 | Report this post

375 ML  
Years ago

How do you know there is not more to it, like if the player is not disappointed about the board member knowing how much he gets paid and is saying that they are getting to much?

This may have nothing to with praise or backslapping from the board member but more to the gossip of inside information.

And if this "player" left then all hell would break lose

Reply #60816 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

What the hell are you on about?

Isn't it the boards job to know what players are being paid what and indeed approve players payments?

I would say that most employers know what their employees are being paid.

Reply #60824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sometimes players ego's (maybe not in this case) need to much attention

too many (again maybe not in this case) cry and threaten to take bat and ball and go home or to throw teddy from the cot

why should we or board members pander to players who never seem to be happy whatever the outcome but are seemingly after having their ego's stroked and their pay packets increased

and maybe the questions could be reversed, are the sixers slowly killing BASA

over inflated coaching salaries
debt with the dome (domestic comp doesn't need such a large stadium)
salary cap breaches and large large fines.

Reply #60829 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

These are all old arguments...check threads before you post.

Coaching salaries too high...they took a cut at the start of the year to help BASA out.

Salary cap fines...years ago

Stadium not big enough?...used to be a sell out almost every game and you could not get a ticket....some would say it was not big enough to start with.

The domes debt....the current issue is a result of decisions made almost 10 years ago.....the new CEO is all about fixing the problems.

Do you even know we had a new CEO?

You are talking crapola!!!!!!!

Reply #60833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ah kent then everyone has to agree with you...got it

Reply #60847 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, I think he's just suggesting that you're dwelling on past issues. Sure, they impact today, but what's done is done. Raising it each time doesn't really accomplish all that much.

Reply #60854 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:17 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754