Anonymous
Years ago

What is the downside to Promotion/Relegation

I've read thousands of post on this forum regarding Junior basketball in S.A.

While there are those who continue to find a way to fix the on going problems the theory of Promotion/Relegation; being that the Summer Season = a Grading period continues to come up.

Yet while it sounds good and has plenty of positives to it, we are still stuck with the same system we've always had.

My question is apart from Member clubs no longer being guaranteed a spot in Division One (if they want it); What is the downside to Promotion/Relegation???

Topic #5392 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I won't be able to compete in div 1 with my current slack attitude to junior development....

Reply #61259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The upside is that I will be able to get a lot average coaches in the older age groups coaching great players. These players will have years of div 1 and elite experiences and development behind them so the other clubs wont get a look in.

The downside to the current situation is we have to work hard to keep our div 2 players around. We have to make sure that these players are well looked after because if they are not they would look elsewhere for a div1 spot.

Reply #61264 | Report this post

Vader  
Years ago

Wrong and wrong again.

Under the current system the same can be said. Good teams in U/14's will be good teams in U/18's becasue there is not reason for lower teams to improve. But wait, the aim for coaches is not to win but to develop players and challenge Melbourne teams. I'm sure not all clubs think that but some do.

Secondly, we should be working hard for all our players no matter the division they are in. And I think that you will find more players come to strong clubs to play div 2 from a div 1 team than leave from a strong clubs div 2 teams to play div 1 in a weaker team.

Reply #61267 | Report this post

Pegs  
Years ago

Upside: We shall not have anymore threads discussing why we aren't doing Promotion / Relegation.

Downside: We shall have threads discussing going back to the existing one team per club system.

Upside: We shall answer a few of the questions of whether it will work.

Downside: BASA will probably stuff it up anyway and we will therefore have more threads on how to fix Promotion / Relegation.

In summary, we shall still have the same amount of armchair critics pointlessly debating the virtues of each system on this forum. Which I suppose is an overall positive because I prefer reading this forum than working... :-)

Reply #61273 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Great thread pegs. Deserves a ball.

Reply #61288 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:05 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754