steve
Years ago

Locked: vert leap! help

hi, im 17, im 5'10' and can grab the rim, i have a 26' vert leap but want to improve it, fast and easy any ideas please!?

Topic #5399 | Report this topic

VC fan  
Years ago

hey when you say a 26' vert leap, does that mean standing on the spot and jumping off 2 feet of does it mean using a runnup and jumping off of 1??

Reply #61306 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Something smells FISHY methinks !!

Reply #61310 | Report this post

Here's a good site full of jumping programs:

http://highflyerz5.bravehost.com/VerticalLeap.html

The Air Alert ones are good, I hear. Some of them are really bad though, and I wouldn't trust them. (Like the 50 inch vert program)

Reply #61340 | Report this post

mini  
Years ago

ELG - if ur using them they must work muhahahaha

Reply #61345 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

i did the air alert 2 program for 10 weeks with 2 mates and we got about an inch if we were lucky. Don't waste your time with that. I suggest plyometrics as the best way to improve your jump - ask a certified personal trainer about it. Also, get into the squats, calf raises, sit ups and other gluteus weights in the gym.

Reply #61393 | Report this post

Dogmeister  
Years ago

Unless you are at least 18 and already have a ecent build I think doing vertical leap programs is a waste of time, unless your ultimate goal in basketball is just to dunk. You will get the most benefit out of a vertical jump program when (i) you have stopped growing (plus it becomes safer) and (ii) you have decent musculature on your legs. Not only does this make the high impact exercise in most vertical leap programs safer but it also will ensure you achieve better results.

In saying the above I think junior players would be much better off investing their time and energy just shooting the lights out on the practice court. On a few occassions I have been very impressed by someone's athleticism throwing down a dunk in the warm up thanks to their hard work doing a vertical leap program. But if you really want to be impressive and really want to have an impact on the game get in the gym and shoot - with a coach, a teammate or by yourself. Thats what the best players in this country do, and if you want to get somewhere in basketball its probably the best path to go down. I'm not saying don't work on your athleticism (it sure does help with footspeed - being quick offensively,shutting guys down defensively and rebounding) but the best players putting up big numbers are the ones who became freak shooters by being gym rats. So if you want to make a state team, the AIS or national team thats what you need to do (unless you are blessed genetically with an abundance of height and / or athleticism already).

Reply #61403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if thats ben yeomans, you cant grab the ring

Reply #61406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if thats ben yeomans ur not 5'10

Reply #61420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ben yeomans couldn't even get the net, 5'10 u have to be kidding

Reply #61433 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

dogmeister, you said to wait till you have deacent musculature in ur legs but from what ive seen the best jumpers have skinny legs, look at the guys from the mixtape tour (excluding main event who cant jump high anyway) they all have skinny legs but massive hops

Reply #61445 | Report this post

Dogmeister  
Years ago

Yes sure those guys can jump out of the sky - but for the most part they can thank their natural athleticism for that (ie most of them didn't get those hops from doing vertical leap programs). What I meant was that most plyometrics jump programs are designed to benefit the most advanced athletes and there is a high risk of injury to underdeveloped adolescents who try this stuff. So if you do want to do it I would consult an expert to look at your program and current physical condition and get them to advise you on it.

Reply #61452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Air alert is the best program toughest to do but best benefit. Did it but did nt get immediate results right away coz of the busy schedule i had. Now i can block on boards dunk both hands and from whatever angle. Another advise when ur done make sure u always reviisit the program coz u may lose ur leaping abilities like i did coz of no practice

Reply #61569 | Report this post

rimza  
Years ago

man i doubt u got tha leap !!!! im 7ft 1in so just try and dunk on me when i got tha hops 2

Reply #61597 | Report this post

GB  
Years ago

if you are 17 dont go too hard you dont want to jeopardise your growth spurt

Reply #61612 | Report this post

hayley  
Years ago

hell ben can touch the ring, where did u hear such shit, i dunno hu u r but knowing wot uve sed bout him ur just jealous, u obvioulsy suk heaps

Reply #80894 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #80897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can lend you 40c.

Reply #80905 | Report this post

Thread locked

This thread has been locked and replies are not permitted.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:01 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754