Anonymous
Years ago

Announcer on Fox Coverage of Sixers Game

Ok..due to hearing that the sixers game on the weekend was supposedly "sold out" I opted to stay home and watch the game instead of going (which I definately would have done if I had known how many seats were available). anyway, when I was watching, I was amazed at how the announcer (is it Steve Cattalini - correct me if I am wrong!) talked about the umpiring of sixers games in Adelaide and how our home crowd were "the best at getting our time calls!" This was in direct reference to all those offensive fouls that were called against the Kings for their screens. What does everyone think of these kind of comments that get make us look like we have the umpires on strings? I know we are a vocal crowd but thats just part of being supportive isn;t it? I've only been to one interstate game and I thought the crowd were just as if not more vocal then we are!

Topic #5419 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steve is a bias Commentator, but that is the best Fox has to offer so we will have to do with that.

Reply #61577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steve Carfino is a JOKE. If Fox had any competition in showing NBL games eg FTA...he would be dropped like a hot potato. Hall of Famer....maybe he could play but his calling of games is biased, boring, etc etc

Reply #61580 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

as much as i think carfino is biased, he is right. we jump on the smallest thing and make the refs think they are wrong if they dont make a call. one thing you forgot to mention was that he thinks that we are a great, educated crowd and he loves the atmosphere we provide. went to the game and and then watch the replay of the game the next morning, and while those calls were there, the crowd made sure that they were called.

Reply #61605 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

as much as i think carfino is biased, he is right. we jump on the smallest thing and make the refs think they are wrong if they dont make a call. one thing you forgot to mention was that he thinks that we are a great, educated crowd and he loves the atmosphere we provide. went to the game and and then watch the replay of the game the next morning, and while those calls were there, the crowd made sure that they were called.

Reply #61606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My point is though is that he is saying it as if we are the only crowd in Australia where that happens which is rubbish! Go to a footy game and 20,000 people boo at the umpires when a call doesn't go their way! I don't disagree that we are a vocal crowd especially when things don't get called but we are also part of what spectating is supposed to be about and to be criticised (well maybe not so much criticised but just spoken about) is not fair for Adelaide's reputation or for the sixers squad. It makes it look like the 36'ers only win at home because of the crowd's manipulation over the ump! Points win games, support win games, but crowds calling the fouls don't!

Reply #61625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

twenty four is right...

Carfino is a little weird, nuts, crazy. You will know what i mean when you see Plays Of The Week

you can see it on www.foxsports.com.au on the video player (in the menu on the right) for free

Reply #61765 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Twenty Four ,

What are you on about ?
"went to the game and and then watch the replay of the game the next morning, and while those calls were there, the crowd made sure that they were called. "

The crowd was right, thats why the call was made .IT WAS A FOUL/TRAVEL whatever, what do you expect?

Adelaide fans actually know the rules of the game, as a vast % are directly involved with the District clubs in this state, why wouldnt they have expectations that umpires know make the right call ?

You arent suggesting that Adelaide fans intimidate seasoned NBL referees are you ?

Ps You might want to change your name to Mrs Carfino for future posts.

Reply #61770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

actually skyhook

i watched the foxtel coverage

and carfino did say that he felt that adelaide fans 'rode' the umpires and made sure the call was made

he made the point that maher was bumped by worthington in the back court no call - crowd noise - worthington bumps maher on half court line - more crowd noise - worthington bumps maher a third time the call is made.

carfino said whether you agree with him or not, that the adelaide crowd gets calls for their home team.

he didn't say the crowd didn't know what they were doing or were uneducated all though he did say at one stage when farley whacked some guy accross the head he could not understand why people were complaining when it was clearly a foul.

there are however, fans, who believe their teams NEVER fouls and the other team fouls MORE Than they are ever called for.

who would want to referee at any level :)

Reply #61802 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:54 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754