Bigcountry
Years ago

Better Basa league

i here lot talk about the problem facing B/Ball in Adelaide i would the hear some real ideas on making all clubs / league better

Topic #5688 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

What?

Reply #64309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They way your construct your sentances, one would think you are one of the navey seals!!

Reply #64320 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

yes lets blame the poorly constructed sentances on the seals,

hang on you spelt navy wrong bahahahahahahahahahhahahahha

fix your own short commings before taking a swipe at someone else retard

Reply #64325 | Report this post

Bigcountry  
Years ago

i do apoligise about the spelling but its good to see some one else fall on their arse, so any thoughts on how to improve BASA and get this league to become a stonger league to play in and more competitive at the nationals and beat the likes of ballart and bendigo

Reply #64329 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think you need to be more specific - juniors? ABL? Any particular areas you'd want improved?

Reply #64332 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

If you are talking ABL then the local scene should revert back to the old school ways when there was state league and then ABL out of that.

The SEABL teams regularly featured in the top four of the comp and also gave juniors exposure to life as a pro with road trips interstate etc.

Two imports per SEABL team also ment that almost every state league team had an import playing which also helped junior development.

Reply #64334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It needs to expand and include country regional associations because there are some really big ones within close proximity. Maybe split into North and South like the Vics. Increase your service population and maybe generate more income. Not have more games in December.

Reply #64335 | Report this post

Bigcountry  
Years ago

kent are you saying you would like to see something like the Buffaloes and they could join the south conference

Reply #64337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SEABL

Woodville
Norwood
Murray Bridge

WNBL
Noarlunga
North
West

ask them why they all pulled out - costs were prohibitive.

Norwood lasted one season, Murray Bridge 2

Basketball SA or BASA bylaws allows only one import in BankSA league - this meant that teams like Woodville/Murray Bridge etc had to lease an import from another team. or you are paying an import for just SEABL.

Plus in the days of old the imports weren't paid anywhere near what they are paid now. Clubs could pay imports as little as the newstart allowance. Now they have to be paid a set wage. That cost alone will mean that it won't return to that format.

No Club in SA could afford the cost.

In the early 90s or late 80s in South Australia you had

WNBL
Noarlunga
West
North

NBL
36ers

SEABL
Mt Gambier
Woodville
Buffalos

WBC (women's basketball conference)
Forestville
Woodville
South
Sturt

that is 11 teams involved in interstate comps.

We now have only 3
WNBL
Fellas
NBL
Sixers
SEABL
Mt Gambier

do you own maths I'm sure all the Clubs have - that is why there is currently a salary cap

Reply #64340 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

I think some clubs are just worried about staying a float, and wouldn't even entertain the idea of changing the current system.

Also we all put these new ideas or improvements on the forum, but deep down we all know nothing will ever change. Sorry to be negative, but being a more of realist.

Reply #64341 | Report this post

Bigcountry  
Years ago

so why is it some clubs do it better than others and also if its a finacial problem why can country clubs i.e mt gambier, ballart, bendigo, tasmania etc who are all in the same boat able to generate competitive sides with some real quality players from around australia. Im trying to understand why the adelaide comp is falling behind.

From reading this forum there seems to be some switched on people im just interested to hear what your thoughts are

Reply #64345 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Because they local competitions and the money they generate from these stay in the local association. They are not paying off the Dome. They also have good sponsors.

I disagree that we are falling behind because SA teams have performed quite well over at the last National Champs.

Reply #64353 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I would love to see a Buffalos style programme back in effect.

Murray Bridge were getting almost 1000 paying people through the door at home games.

This plus bar takings and food etc meant that the team was holding its own financially as far as i am aware.

BASA is tipping money into the academy and i can not see why that cash coupled with a stand alone team with its potential own fans running out of say Wayville would be a great option.

Academy style set up with 2 imports. IE under 22 years if age to make the team.

Reply #64357 | Report this post

annoymous  
Years ago

If basa is tipping money into the mens academy.
Why havent they done anything about the girls program we all pay the some money through the door.
Give a chance to the girls as the men,becauce there a lot talented girls out there.

START A ACADEMY FOR THE GIRLS ?

Reply #64375 | Report this post

Bigcountry  
Years ago

Kent that sounds like a great idea that would generate a real buzz in Adelaide to watch the young fellas go against some big name teams plus expose them to some real intense opposition even without the imports can you imagine the interest with the Academy taking on the AIS in Adelaide and please dont forget all teams in the south conference have to fly into mt gambier to play why not catch a better plane to play in adelaide then to the mount for a double header.

i like the way your thinking Kent

Reply #64376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kent Murray Bridge folded their SEABL team because of their shaking financial situation

bums on seat in this case did not = profitable team

I would stand corrected but I think the financial strain of SEABL etc lead to Murray Bridge dropping out of District and the Eastern Hills almagation taking place.

If it was such a succes how did they run in to money problems?

By my reckoning a team here would have to pay one import $30,000 miniumum for a season then there is airfaire and accom. make that 2 imports for SEABL and the club is up for $60,000 without paying there current players. I can't see to many 'name' players in the league accepting $20.00 per game or say $1,000 per season when someone else is getting $30,000. so there for you have to pay the other players more $. Say round figures $100,000 per club for just the men say $150,000 for men and women combined.

Now the players don't pay to get in. If you regularly got 500 people to each game/venue each week at $5 per game that is only going to return you $27,500 for the season over 11 weeks. You are going to play at least 11 away from home in a 22 week season.

Then add air fare for a min of 10 players a coach, assist coach and a manager at say an average of $200 per ticket (and that is real low) round trip. that is $28,600 in airfare for 11 away games. then multiply it by 2 because it involves both men and women's teams.
$57,200

Then there is accom six rooms at $100 per night = $600 by ll away games you have $6,600. x 2 $13,200

Do the clubs pay for court hire when hosting ABL games? if so add that to the list then there are the small payments to the court announcer, doorkeeper, floor wipers

so erring on the financial side of caution over a 22 game season

You would have the following calculations include both male and women teams

Players Payments $150,000
Accom $ 13,200
Airfare $ 57,200
Misc $ 3,000
Court Hire $ 3,000
TOTAL $226,400

Door takings 1000 @ $10.00 per game
11 home games gives you a revenue of $110,000 for the season a shortfall of $126,400

the Dome, Wayville, Morphettvale would hold 1,000 and probably Mt Barker, Starplex and Pasadena but Pt Adelaide, Hillcrest and Mars would struggle.

great concept but I can't see how any club can afford it sponsorship is hard to find and finding in excess of $100,000 in sponsorship just for your senior teams would be hard year in and year out

Reply #64388 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Take the womens side out of it as not even WNBL teams make a profit so a CBA version would not either.

You would only be paying the 2 imports and coach in this model as it would be scene as a development squad type of thing with the players in the team playing for exposure and experience.

Reply #64392 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:02 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754