Punter
Years ago

DIV 5

With the standard of some Div 5 team dropping to low level social at best do you think BASA should consider scrapping Div 5?

Topic #583 | Report this topic

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

I have seen a few Div 5 games at Pasadena and a few other venues and I believe we should scrap it. District basketball is meant to be a higher level of competition.....

Reply #5487 | Report this post

Doc James  
Years ago

These players maintain a link with the club and often can become junior coaches in the future. I think that it would be a shame to lose them from our clubs.

Maybe we just need to make the competition a little less strict in it's makeup and a little more like what it really is. High level social with better organisation.

Reply #5488 | Report this post

leave it whilst teams want to nominate and play - i would suggest u21 Div 2 women become more involved at this level - these people like basketball and will only nominate elsewhere and fill a court socially at a BASA venue.

Should they be fully timed? - why not run it like less competitive junior Divisions - stop the clock for time outs and last 3 min only.

eliminate the 2 scoretable people from each team as well - some teams struggle.

There seems to be no shortage of nominations - so leave it.

Reply #5489 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

i dont know

Reply #5551 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Very informative 'unknown' your input is valued :)

I think div 5s is glorified social.

In recent years, social numbers have dropped (to my knowledge anyhow, correct me if I'm wrong) and this is partially due to people who play lower level district.

I believe they should make a rule that below reserves (IE - 3s down) you can only play 1 grade per week, not 2 (a benchie div 3 can play div 4, etc). This would probably kill off some div 4 & 5 teams, but may introduce more social teams for those still wanting a game.

I really don't see the point in a div 5 competition. Just my thoughts.

Reply #5563 | Report this post

SK  
Years ago

Having been involved in social basketball and district basketball for a number of years, I think the div 5 comp should be kept up, the reason social numbers have dropped is the cost involved in wanting to have a bit of fun, nominations, and a per game fee, uniforms, forfeit fines, scorer fines, for crap courts and crap umpiring.

Div 5 should be kept up so that when clubs get new players or finishing u21s wanting to play and contribute finacially to the system they don't get turned away without the opportunity to show their stuff at a district level.

If you watch any of the div 5 games you'll find the teams change dramatically each year as players come and go.

Reply #5569 | Report this post

Punter  
Years ago

I think "I should Know..." idea of playing like Div 2 Juniors could be the way to go for Div 5. That way BASA still would get there cut and the clubs would keep the team and money flow from them.
From what I have seen there are a number of Div 5 sides that are pretty much the same players for the last couple seasons.

Reply #5574 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

is money for the clubs, and players retain that link with the club.

Reply #5619 | Report this post

I should know..  
Years ago

Social ambience can attract a feral mode from some players.

Attached to the district competition one feels a little more "formal" with their basketball.

SK is correct with players and teams.

Teams such as Torrens Valley and the Unis do need to farm players out to several grades to keep numbers correct.

We should not be too terminal on the struggling clubs.

Social has it's place - but it is probably not structured enough for Div 5 players.

If we scrap Div 5 - might as well get rid of Div 5 u16s as well - NO WAY.

Leave it - look at any big sporting code - amateur footy - to about Div 10 - English soccer - to Div ???

Reply #5651 | Report this post

this is crap every1,
think about the players not yourself for a change geezz
they tried so hard to get in a higher div but wat do u do u bag them and say we should scrap div 5 thats just bulls**t just be nice to them, yes , they arnt as talanted as the dreamteam,luthiwannia, boomers but let them keep playing dont scrap there div

Reply #5864 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:01 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754