TC
Years ago

Fellas Game

I'll be honest and say I havent seen a lightning/fellas game in a while but because there was a double header at the DHD it made it possible for me to see both games which turned out to be a great thing.

I thought it was a really good game to watch with the lightning (still cant get used to saying fellas) running their offense smoothly while doing a really good job on jackson defensively. Willey and Screen were both excellent but the player who really caught my eye was Erin Phillips, she was superb. Her ability to make the right decisions, ie when to push the ball and when to slow it down, when to penetrate and so on were great. She showed that not only is she a naturally talented player but that she also has the basketball smarts.

Was also really good to see Lauren Jackson out there and the crowd obviously appreciated her being out there by applauding her when she sat for the final time. I have a few questions for the people who regularly attend the wayville home games. Was the crowd size and atmosphere signficantly different? Would have playing at the dome made a difference in the pysche of the team before the game, ie more interest genererated in the game?

Definetly a good game to watch and it was great to get the win!

Topic #5871 | Report this topic

what the  
Years ago

that would have been one of the best wnbl crowds for all games this season.
that many would have never got into wayville

the crowd just needs to fire up a bit more for my liking

Reply #66723 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Would have love to see how many Jackson would have got if she played the whole game. Finals should be a beauty after Sydney smacked Dandenong by 26.

Reply #66763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No joke, Jackson got 28 points in 21 minutes.

Reply #66771 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

How clear is it that she is by far the best female player in the world. She hasn't played for weeks, walks on and plays a few minutes against quality oppositin and blows them away. She always makes it look so effortless as well.

Great to overcome any team with her in it, even though her minutes were limited.

Reply #66776 | Report this post

macca  
Years ago

Now I certainly dont understand the game as well as any of you... but I last night I saw an exceptional team performance. Jenny Screens work for the side when not in possession is exceptional.. an outstanding workrate and fingers crossed she is not the unlucky Fella missing from the Games squad.
I said a week back that Erin had been told that she was going to miss due to inexperience... well I am DAMN sure that decision will be reversed after her last 3 matches and Tully and Richards have certainly not lifted the way Erin has.
An all round exceptional effort last night. Tammy is so cool under pressure and even little Marshy showed some real grit- a great sign for the future.
Second spot is certainly now well within reach.. and hopefully a win straight through... not sure I want to see Porter, Snell, Fallon and Veal back in Adel!
Finally... what a CLASS person and athlete LJ is. So gentle and good with her time after the match. Was stoked to see the appreciation the crowd gave her and her acknowledgment of that.
Hopefully the same support from last night can get along this Wed and Fri back at Wayville.. and lets really encourage the girls on their way to the finals.... cos those girls really do lay it all on the line week in week out and appreciate the support they are given.

Reply #66840 | Report this post

ifeelsore  
Years ago

I agree with ya Macca, Erin certainly has had it over Tully and Sammy but still think Jenny will be the unlucky one to miss out. Do you happen to know when the final team is announced?

Reply #66842 | Report this post

macca  
Years ago

yes it is Feb 10/11. The team then gathers for training March 12th.
Is it Snell, Wilson, Mcleod Tranquilli and Glaubitz that Jen is up against? Hibbert and Wilson would have the edge wouldnt they?
How many places would be available?
11 all up but how mnay of each player type?
Thanks

Reply #66847 | Report this post

ifeelsore  
Years ago

Glaubitz and McLeod not enough international experience, Tranquilli too risky with the major injury she's had. Only leaves Snell, Wilson and Jenny. I would think that Snell (WNBA and Opal experience) and Wilson/Hibbert purely on their form over the past 2 years would have to be pretty confident (not sure if there is room for all 3 though). Still, unfortunately, I think that Jenny will miss out.

Reply #67007 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

WHO CARES, womens basketball BORING

(Mod: If you don't like it, don't read the thread. Say goodbye to the forum because you ain't coming back.)

Reply #67008 | Report this post

ifeelsore  
Years ago

Anon....true basketball players and lovers of the game wouldn't agree. And you know what, people who bag women's basketball.... BORING. Get a life and have something interesting and intelligent to say.

Reply #67009 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

still BORING.....I wonder... why do you feel sore

Reply #67010 | Report this post

ifeelsore  
Years ago

Would it matter if I am male or female. I suppose it wouldn't matter why I am sore if I'm female.

By the way, I bet many of the female players we are referring to could kick your butt in skills (and constructive conversation).

Reply #67012 | Report this post

Macca  
Years ago

Mr Gutless "anon". Can you please tell me why you find Womens basketball "Boring". How often do you go? and if you do go then why?
Can you not seperate the physical differences between men and women and appreciate them equally? Certainly it is your right to not go.. or not enjoy.. but I really wonder about why you would bother reading a series of posts to put such a view across to people who obviously do have a eye and appreication of some of the most outstanding basketball talent in the world.
I must say that anyone that casts such an oppinion does not understand elite sport. You must certainly be a wannabe... someone who obviously has a jealous, negative and uneducated eye. If you are not then please state your qualifications to make such a harsh judgement and the reasoning behind this. As I find "BORING" as exceptionally childish.
The current group of athletes represent a club that for 14 years has made finals, taking 3 championships and has produced outstanding basketball talent. In the current side we have 3 YOUNG players who are amoung the most professional athletes I have ever seen train and perform. Erin, Jenny and Laura are exceptional athletes but also people. They deserve far more respect.

Reply #67015 | Report this post

Macca  
Years ago

and maybe she feels sore because she actually gets out and has a go. And good on everyone that does.

Reply #67016 | Report this post

ifeelsore  
Years ago

Thanks Macca and Isaac. Like you said Isaac, I don't know why people like that even bother reading the posts they aren't interested in.

Reply #67021 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:04 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754