What makes a good coach a GREAT coach

Ok peoples, i saw this thread on the OZHOOPS web site, and thought it was a intesting topic

For example - why can Brendan Joyce get most other teams rejects to play well and perform (maybe not a good thought for this year)

Why do NZB get rid of a coach and players adn then run comfortably into last palce - I mean why go through the pain to have more pain.

What makes BG have the 'touch' at the moment

Year in year out how does Smyth get a team to perform

Ok those are some questions to ponder before giving your answer, I mean I have mentioned all NBL coaches but could have rattled off some junior coaches who get great results year in year out but I want to knwo your thoughts.

Is it X's and O's, is it communication or is it they just get the players and the rest take care of themselves........

or does it just come down to success....

Topic #5993 | Report this topic

AussieMj  
Years ago

it comes down to....... being kiss on the ____ by a fairy!!!! It's not rocket science. Just common sense and to work with what you have. SIMPLE

Reply #68014 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

W's not L's

Reply #68026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

but if a coach has a ready made team. cant coach to save his life but they win all the time. Does that make him a Great coach

Reply #68083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no just lucky

Reply #68093 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

A great coach is most obviously someone that gets the best outta their players. Smyth is one for this, always gets the best out of his players. There have only been a few that have performed better at different clubs, and most of them were younger when they were here.

Reply #68098 | Report this post

Oldie  
Years ago

I believe it comes down to the coach building the players trust and vice versa. A good coach especially with juniors will let players try different things, although often they will not be good at it, sometimes you may just find something that has been hidden. For example I used to coach an u14 girls team in social basketball, the tallest girl on the team was always playing centre, with the third tallest Forward. I put the shorter of the two at centre, and found her to be better in that position and the taller girl was better as a forward.

Hence, you need to get to know your players. I also believe it is important to have had plenty of prior experiece in the sport you are coaching (not just basketball). Just for the record i brought the girls from last to win the premiership within 2 seasons.

You have to be willing to lose a few games to test out your players strengths and weaknesses. (of course it could be done at training if another group is available)

I dont believe luck has anything to do with it at all!!

Reply #68102 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

What a wounderful story. Brings a tear to my eye...........

Reply #68110 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:38 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754