Nutwork
Years ago

NBL CA$H

I have posed this question before but never had an answer, and after seeing DODO has just come on board as a league sponsor, I thought I would pose it again.
I may be naive but after all of these new sponsors our NBL CEO has lined up, where is all the money going?
AXA
PHILIPS
NIKE
DODO
ABC CENTRES
RADIO 2
THERMOSKIN
COAST 2 COAST
MOLTEN
VIRGIN BLUE
FOX
I understand that some of the above sponsors will be putting in goods & services rather than actual money. However we have more sponsors than we have had for several years and I would like to know what the league is doing with the money?
Are the umpires being paid more? Is more money being put into the development of umpires? Is the game being promoted on a national level? Is money going from the NBL to develop junior players or coaches?
It is great that the NBL has managed to secure so many sponsors for the NBL, but has anyone heard of a press release relating to the spending of that money? Just curious.

Topic #6004 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I think a lot is contra (partially Philips, Molten, Virgin Blue, Fox, etc). Plus offsetting Rick Burton's salary and a few of the others.

Other than that, I have no idea. I think the deals would probably be smaller than people might think.

Would love to know the details though!

Reply #68079 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

i would think burton would not be cheap, last ceo or commish would not have been on any where near what hes getting,

still at least theres sponsors on board, all be it that not all info on the dispersion of funds is known

Reply #68082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the amount they are paying might also be much lower, so why we think a company like AXA would put big $ in they may only be testing the bball waters as its so cheap.

Reply #68084 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

I wonder why they don't declare any details. If the AFL has a sponsor come on board (eg. pre-season comp) they always give details (not exact terms & conditions) like the amount paid and term.

Reply #68087 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Also isn't the latest competition illegal?

I reckon that you can not have a competition where you have to sign up to a product to enter....could be wrong.

Reply #68088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

umpires are actually paid less - I believe you will find

they took a hit when the salary cap came in - or if not less they didn't get an increase on par with past seasons.

Reply #68092 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Nutwork, the details could set a precedent and might even be embarrassingly low.

Thomo - $300k is usually assumed for Burton's pay I think.

Reply #68095 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

i think there needs to be a level of transperancy as in CA where you can actually look up and see the pay range of the executive and ceo of the oragnisation, i mean it doesnt show the actually amount but it does state the wage bracket (eg 41-44k and then stated the bonus incentives and the award it comes under so at least with in a 10% margin you know what the administrators of the game are paid, simple things like that your not giving away the actuall pay but you are allowing the people a sense of knowledge of the situation,

another example is a cricket club i played for who paid a executive to run the club each year stated publically the amount that was paid in wages then indicated the pay bracket they were in, so ppl knew roughly what was being paid without actually knowing if that makes sense doing that creates a better level of understanding so the end user (joe blo) can understand

Reply #68105 | Report this post

Oldie  
Years ago

The question is though.... Do you want everyone knowing how much you earn????

Every company gets money from somewhere, hence should in theory should publicise how much every employee is being paid

Reply #68109 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

exact amount shouldnt be public knowledge but they should atleast advise what range there salary is like most major companies do

Reply #68115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kent

Legislation in relation to rules for competitions in SA is (or was) different than every other state in Australia.

If you read the detailed terms and conditions of national competitions, there is almost always the 'SA exception'. For SA consumers can draw a picture of the label instead and send that in.

Other competitions just stated 'not valid in SA' on them, but this got them in trouble for false advertising. You had to get a different label printed for products sold in SA.

It was all such a pain that the SA Gov was going to change the law to the same as the other states. Not sure if this ever happened, and have never bothered checking.

XY.

Reply #68135 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Yeah the rule changed a few years ago.

Umpires are actually getting a py rise out of their latest enterprise bargaining meeting, as well as the NBL committing to a better development system, so I would hazard a guess some sponsor money (probably C2C) would be going in there.

I guess if you had the time to go through the NBL annual report, and that of every sponsor, you might be able to start working out the deal, but who really wants to go to that trouble?

I would be happy for these sponsors to be coming in at bargain basement prices, and then when they see what a great product they have attached to, they will be happy to up the ante.

My 2 cents anyway.

Reply #68147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Nike deal has been claimed previously to be as low as $50K, total. They get named as "The Official..." yet don't have anything to do with merchandise, nor do they have exclusivity on NBL players feet. I'd imagine they do supply shoes either free or discount though to those who want them?

But yeah, $50K, not a lot for one of their most high profile sponsors.

Reply #68263 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

But then bar coverage on the NBL site, where else are these sponsors really mentioned? Only Philips, by naming the regular season, or AXA, by nabbing the grand final series, would really have drawn that much publicity.

e.g., Distinctive Homes, mentioned in match reports and ticket advertising, would get more coverage in the regular media. AFL "official car of the"-type sponsors get FTA coverage which is a massive difference.

That said, $50k is still a bargain. We should pool some funds to request that flares be the "Official Pants of the NBL" and make Jason Smith do public appearances dressed in them...

Reply #68272 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:45 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754