Anonymous
Years ago

Winter Season

ok well since the GF's are all over and done with i thought id find out what the hell is going on with the winter season!! for starters why are we playing next week since its a long weekend and why are we playing on a saturday (don't know if this is the case with everyone but it is with my div), and also whats happening with the lenth of the season like i know they wanted to align our season with the easten states but has that been scrached since the summer season finshed early??

Topic #6438 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

As you seem to have no idea what's been going on I'll try and answer your questions ...

"for starters why are we playing next week since its a long weekend"

Because there are only so many weekends in a year and games need to be played.

"and why are we playing on a saturday (don't know if this is the case with everyone but it is with my div)"

All games are being played on their normal day/nights. As this coming weekend there is also a country carnival then there will be no Under 12 or Under 14 games (I'm 99% sure that includes div 1's).

"and also whats happening with the lenth of the season"

The length of the season will be 22 rounds for almost all grades. A few grades will be restricted to playing each team twice and therefore only 18 games.

"like i know they wanted to align our season with the easten states but has that been scrached since the summer season finshed early??"

The planned changes had nothing to do with aligning our season with the eastern states. In fact we are more closely aligned to the majority right now. The planned changes were an attempt to bring more people to the Junior Competition by aligning the seasons to fit into one calender year.

I hope this answers your questions.

Reply #72309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A little off topic but just a heads up for Paul Arnott. If you are working for BASA give the Forestville Eagles top a rest. It will just leave you open for accusations of bias although I'm sure there's not. Not having a go, just been around too long and know what will happen.

Reply #72597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ive herd that some divs are playing on a saturday insted of a friday for the next 6 weeks!! can anyone conferm that??

Reply #72606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tip for you anon, never believe a word that person tells you again.

Reply #72613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon (#72597) - just a heads up for you mate, Arnie doesn't start at BASA (BSA) for a little while yet. He is still working for F/ville. Not having a go, just been around long enough to know how many ill-informed, nosy, naysayers there are out there.

Reply #72617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

acctuly 72613 this info was received from my club but i was more wondering why this is the case

Reply #72673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aaahhh yes, a typical F'ville response (72617). F'ville are a bit like the French...convinced of their own greatness and see no reason to back it up!

Reply #72677 | Report this post

Trash  
Years ago

Forestville were terrible when I was a junior, it's only in the last 2-3 years they've become "great". They only became great through great people doing great things. They were the constant easy beats and considering their pool of players comes from same region as Sturt, they have achieved success beyond anyone's wildest dreams.

I'd say Sturt are more like the French, or maybe even Americans...

Reply #72679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt like the French, well they can actually back it up a bit. Like the Americans, well not quite that ignorant.

Sturt are more like the Evil Emprire in Star Wars. Want to dominate but are too busy running around fighting little battles.

Reply #72686 | Report this post

Vadersmate  
Years ago

I would describe Sturt more like a country based club. Why? Has any body done a count af their current counrty based players on their juniors list?

I thought "district club" was kind of meaning players from around your general district.

How many more local kids can this club cast aside to give our poor country cousins a go.

There is always a right way and wrong way to do things.

Success..... but at what price in under 12's & 14's

Reply #77315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And I would describe Vadersmate as a winging parent who doesn't think that thier kid should need to compete for a position in a team.

I guess you consider you kid has been cast aside.

Otherwise you might need to admit that they are just not good enough!

Reply #77317 | Report this post

Kal  
Years ago

"Poor Country Cousins" please. What a redneck comment. The Country kids need to be focused and passionate about Basketball to succeed. Midweek training are individual and self motivated, no-one there to make you work at all let alone train with intensity. Limited help from BASA, a SASI scholarship? Maybe if you have a SAC coach close, but if you don't forget it, not even if you make All Star 5 at TI Camps. Sometimes its like the SAC State teams don't exist, no BASA subsidy at Natinals even though all the kids in the team play District. There a 3 SA players in the Emus, 2 are Country players. 3 SA girls at the AIS started their Basketball in the country. Anyway, what difference does it make Country or Metro its a hang up SA Basketball needs to get over. I'm happy for my child to be a Country Kid they train and play because they are passionate and have a desire to succeed not because some coach is yelling at them but because they want to. They learn to look for their faults and weakness then correct them. Its pathetic reasoning to imply that they are in a District team simply because they are Country.

Reply #77428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love the way people seem to think that the job of the clubs is to look after only those kids only in their close proximity.

We must be needing to say to people outside of the metro area. 'Sorry but we will be needing to discriminate against you becasue of where you live.'

I guess you could say that becasue of the service Sturt provide is considered to be at a higher level than some other clubs. More country players might be thinking of asking Sturt if they can play for them.

Reply #77436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One thing I have noticed since starting to read this forum a few months ago is that for such a successful club, Sturt seem to get a lot of negative comments apparently from within (a la Vadersmate)

Reply #77449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess when people have to actually EARN their spot, when they thing it's their RIGHT to that spot, they can come on here and anonymously complain when they don't make or hold on to that position.

Sturt have their unhappy campers, just like everyone else.

Reply #77454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so what you are saying----that STURT are normal like the rest of the clubs..LOL

Reply #77486 | Report this post

Vadersmate  
Years ago

Thanks for all the kind thoughts and well wishes, I really appreciate it.

A redneck? Thanks Kal. I will remind you of that comment the next time you need "A HAND". Still don't know me, look through your mobile, Im in there, my tag name gives it away.

Anyway,
I think you can look to some other clubs in close proximity to Pasadena that had very poor junior programs, some as early as 4 years ago and see who is now playing in their jnr ranks, a whole lot of former Pasadena kids. Some of these clubs are now doing quite well, without the mandatory 3-4 country kids in their Div 1's. Oh and before anyone starts, these clubs are close enough to be "local" to Pasadena.

Some of these former Pasadena kids have been cast aside for a country kid that lasts a quater of a season with a particular team, then predictably moves on.

They are mostley not seen by their team mates to be making the same commitment to training and other team activities as the city kids.

If you want to play with a district club, train as a district player with your team. If you cant commit like a district player, dont become a district player. Simple really.

There are some country kids that make it to as many trainings as their city cousins, no problem with that. More power to them, they are the ones that take the opportunity given to them and reward themselves and their team mates with the dedication and hard work that they display. They deserve to play at the highest level poss, everyone does. But just because you may have an ounce more talent than the next person does not give you the right to miss MOST, not some , MOST trainings, then get a walk up start on the starting five come game time.

And as for country kids "thinking" of asking for a game at Pasadena, garantee almost all of the country kids playing out there have never asked, most have been told.

Sturt have changed. They have ALWAYS been sucsessful, but NEVER so dispised.

Any comments?

Reply #77996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am all for country kids getting a fair go in the Adelaide metro comp; however if the country kids are not attending training on a regular basis there are a number of things that go against them:

1) They obviously dont have a chance to get to know their team mates and gel as a unit.

2) It is harder for them to do set pieces as they dont get a chance to practise with the group.

3) They are not under the close scrutiny of their coaches for the 2-3 training sessions that they miss on a regular basis. This is a huge factor.

It is far easier for a city kid to make a couple of mistakes and then have the coaching staff focus on his or her every move. I have seen this happen on 2 occassions with our "former" club. The city kid that attends all training sessions starts to tick off the coach and gets a rough deal. A country kid could make the same mistakes on a regular basis but because the coach only see's the kid for the most part on game day the country kid is cut some slack.

Achieving your highest poss level in basketball should not be about the suburb or country town that you live in. It should be about who is prepared to work the hardest to achieve their goal.

Sorry but just because a country kid has to sit in a car for 5-6 hours to attend a game does not mean to me that they are working harder than a city kid.

If longer travel time means you get cut a fair amount of slack and get a walk up start over some other kid with simular skill levels, then the thinking on country kids is wrong.

I think the prevelence of country kids in the district comp at the moment (especially from some clubs mentioned earlier)is more due to the fact that some of the junior coaches would rather go for a quick fix for their problems rather than develop a kid over a couple of seasons. There is no doubt some of these country kids are talented. But you can go to any school yard in Adelaide and find a talented kid who has not had proper coaching, put them in a district team and they might even do quite well; but would you be prepared for that talented kid to miss most trainings just because they have the natural skills. See how long other parents and team members would put up with that.

Honestly tell me that a kid from Mt Gambier, Pt Lincoln or Naracorte is more of a longer term option in your club than some local kid who lives close by and wants to play for his or her local club.

I don't think so.

Reply #78166 | Report this post

Kal  
Years ago

Vadersmate, I have no idea who you are. I may have your mobile don't know. Sorry if I offended you but your comment about "Poor Country Cousins" was uncalled for. Treat everyone as an individual, it works much better. In the long run it doesn't matter metro or country from U20 its State and you don't get into this team without putting in the effort. We have enough problems competing against Vic & NSW as it is, we don't need hassles within the State as well. By U18's if you haven't put in the work and developed your game then its shows even natural talent isnt enough at District let alone Nationals. My child has been at the same club for 6 years. Doesn't do mid week trainings but learns the plays and individually trains (with intensity) 3 times a week minimum for 1 to 2 hours, as well as football practice, purely for fitness. All because they are passionate about basketball, they have never been forced to train everything they do socially and even homework is worked around availability of stadiums, games and trainings. Sorry again, it was not my intention to offend you but your comments offended me and I'm tired of hearing about the STATE team and the Country Team its actually SA Metro and SA Country.

Reply #78567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Honestly tell me that a kid from Mt Gambier, Pt Lincoln or Naracorte is more of a longer term option in your club than some local kid who lives close by and wants to play for his or her local club.

I don't think so. "

Don't you mean - and wants to play for his or her local club.....as long as it's in div 1.

Or add further - he/she shouldn't have to earn a spot in div 1 as they are a local and should be given favouritism over country people instead of competing for positions based on merit.

Reply #78604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jordan Dodman is from a place called Quorn. He is a long term Sturt club player now playing senior ball.

Angela Marino is from Whyalla and a long term Sturt club player.

Kate Joley is from Southern Yorke Peninsula and is a current ABA player at Sturt after playing through juniors.

Vadersmate. Your nothing but an ignorant parent who is not mates with Vader.

PS Sturt loves that you hate them. Especially considering you are unwilling to compete for a spot.

Reply #78615 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

You Bitch!

Reply #78621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I smell the blood of paul m!!

Reply #78687 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:01 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754