Joe M
Years ago

Funny Joe Ingles signs two-year deal with Dragons

Article

The South Dragons have signed their first player, 6'8 two-guard Joe Ingles from South Australia.

Ingles, a left-hander and arguably the most sought-after Australian under twenty, has been compared with NBA legend Toni Kukoc by Boomers coach Brian Goorjian.

"We understand Joe's had contract offers from six NBL clubs and has attracted interest from a few more, so from that standpoint we're excited to secure his services," said Dragons co-owner Mark Cowan.

Topic #6590 | Report this topic

jumpin  
Years ago

Wow! its amazing what a growth spurt and some focused training can do for a player! Best of luck Joey

Reply #74138 | Report this post

Years ago

Talk about the perfect move for a new team! Joe will most likely become the face of the franchise for the next 15 years at least. A shame the Sixers missed out on him, if they were ever really in the running. Anyway, best of luck there Joe!

Reply #74141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congratulaions Joe,
This is definately going to be the start of a very succesful career!
I wish you all the best

Reply #74143 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

We've often struggled to recruit quality players from other teams over the years, but the one thing we've always been able to rely on is to sign the good local South Aussies coming through. Now it seems we can't even do that.

The 36ers organisation needs some tips on recruiting, and fast.

Reply #74145 | Report this post

sawmeinhalf  
Years ago

Another one bites the dust.

So disappointing from a Sixers point of view. Exciting from a Dragons point of view.

So why won't these local youngsters sign with then Sixers? Do they get drilled into them from their agents that Phil isn't any good at developing young talent?

Reply #74161 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

I don't necessarily believe it is that these young players are choosing not to play for the 36ers.

I think it is more a case of the coaches not wanting them...or alternatively not seeing a role for them that is attractive to the players.

Reply #74162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the coaches want them, its the fact that everyone in australia knows that the sixers program doesnt develop players, so for a youngster loking to achieve greater things, development is a huge issue and therefore they avoid the adelaide program!

Reply #74172 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

For fu$k sake, it this another nail in the coffin... I have had a gutful of the weak arse recruiting policy of the 36ers.

I'm probably betting that the 36ers never even gave him a phone call.

Sitting here in Canberra I wish the Cannons where around.... give me something to support, but unluckily I'm an Adelaide boy....

It hurt's me, but seriously I sick and tired of the political bullshit and crap that we have to put up with.... GO DRAGONS!!!!!

Anyone got any odds on the 6ers wearing a wooden spoon next year.

Reply #74182 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

On the positive note, go get them Joe and best of luck with the Dragons. Good to see another SA boy mixing it up.

How's Lake G looking this time of year??

Reply #74183 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

sounds like hes got alot of potential.

Reply #74186 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

TR, the Sixers made an offer at least.

Here's a photo of Egan used by Foxsports. Check it out and then scroll up to Jingles - Ear Ball Trend?!

Reply #74195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey will tear it up. Awesome player.. He can't stand anyone being better than him, thats y he has worked his way up from juniours to state and aba and dominated in all of them. And before you know it he'll be dominating NBL. Dont know what the sixers were thinking

Reply #74196 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

i dont think the 6ers will wooden spoon, so long as NZ are still in the league....

Reply #74199 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

NZ could field something like this next year:

Damien Ryan/Paul Henare
Aaron Olson/local rookie
Brian Wethers/Ben Thompson
Rich Melzer/Mika Vukona
Ben Pepper/Tim Behrendorff

The bench is a bit light, but the starters are all capable of 20 on any given night.

Reply #74201 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

Enough is enough, if your goings to slag off the Sixer or the program about not having the perception of developing player at least gets your facts correct.

Joe Ingles didn't go ignore the Sixer offer to play with the club because the perception about how the rookies are developed any differently but more to do with how much court time he would receive.

How can the South Dragons have a respectable development reputation? Mark Price has never coached in Australia before so no body know if he will be a major developer of young talent. Rookies don't get court time in the Sixer program that quite obvious but if deserver them they will and in the past have. Jacob Holmes in his second year was rewarded, Oscar in his third with court time but Brad Hill wasn't and I guess until he shows he deserves to take Brett Maher or Willy Farley's minuets it will stay the same. It might have a lot to do with what happens at training and if they deserve it or not as apposed to how Phil or Steve develops a player.

Why should a coach reward a young player with court time who doesn't show he deserves something more than another player? Why discriminate against Brett Maher and Willy Farley and limit there court time if Brad Hill or any other player isn't showing at training that they are deserving of taking minutes from them? If Joe was good enough he would ultimately made Phil give him minuets in his first year by preforming on the training track but he has taken the easy option and gone to a team that had guaranteed him court time against earning it.

Allegedly he was ready to sign with Townsville before Stacker was terminated that at least would have given credibility to the development thing but no he selected the Dragons because they would have said that he would be given X amount of court time.

Reply #74207 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Ok, I'll agree that my comment was harsh, but one has to wonder why players don't want to come to Adelaide to play??

Is it the system??? Is it not wanting to play at home??? Is it opportunity??? Are the other clubs selling themselves better?? Is it the weather??? Is it the Adelaide water???

How do players outside of Adelaide see the organisation?? Limited playing time??? Lack of opportunity??? What is it that makes other teams more appealling than Adelaide.

Reply #74209 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Maybe the nightlife is better in Melbourne than Adelaide....lol

Honestly, i think he probably chose the Dragons over the 36ers coz he has more of a chance playing minutes there

Reply #74218 | Report this post

Moose  
Years ago

Perhaps Scott Ninnis had something to do with him going to the Dragons.
I think you'll find that Joe would've signed with the Crocs if Ninnis had still been there!

Reply #74229 | Report this post

BMG  
Years ago

Promises of minutes and development (Dragons) would come in on top of proof of lack of minutes and no development (36ers).

Reply #74234 | Report this post

BMG  
Years ago

Sorry, forgot to add - Go Joe!

Reply #74235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is nothing wrong with Joe wanting to sign to a side who would give him court time. He has played basketball every day for the last 13 years, why should he have to spend a year on the bench?He has trained extremely hard to get this far and noone has the right to judge his decsion, as none of you know his real descions for signing to Dragons. You should all be congratulationg him,instead of focusing on any negatives.

Reply #74328 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

If someone goes to university for 4 year, obtain his or her degree and gets a job. Do they instantly become a partner of that organization or do I have work their way up from the bottom?

Basketball is no different from employment, everyone has different levels of talent and everyone will be more valuable to that organization, it all depend on what how hard they are will to work.

If a young kid with a degree sits on his arse and doesn't show any potential why the hell should he be rewarded for mediocrity? The same can be said for a rookie basketball player, if he doesn't work hard at training and doesn't install confidence in the coach or player why should they be rewarded with playing time?

Reply #74345 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Playing time would be a significant opportunity to develop in real-world pressure situations. Every single college or AIS-level player, given choices, will consider the playing time they're likely to get in their decision. I guarantee you that those aiding their decision (parents, coaches, etc) will be looking at a projected roster and wanting to know where they will fit in.

The Sixers offered Ingles a spot in the 13. The Dragons have put him in the 10. With teams usually running an 8-9 man rotation, a rookie will get more opportunities in the 10 than in the 13. In the 13, they might not even get taken on road trips! Ingles' decision does not surprise me at all.

Let's take your tertiary graduate example - say you've just come out with your commerce degree and had to choose between two jobs: would you take the one that gave you a dedicated mentor, a chance to help on decent contracts and a noted pathway to work your way up in the company, or would you go with the opportunity that said "you could do some real work, or you could be making coffee and emptying the bins, who knows". No-brainer IMO.

Reply #74347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll say it again...when Smyth finally leaves the Sixers will be a basket case. He will make sure of that.

Reply #74409 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Also signing a two year deal with the Dragons is Michele Timms, getting onboard as the team's development officer.

...she has accepted a two-year deal to liaise with Victorian basketball associations and the South Dragons schools program.

"It's exciting to be part of a start-up franchise that has the vision of the South Dragons," said Timms.

"Although the timing wasn't right to step into a coaching position, I think this role is well suited to my personality and I can't wait to get started straight after the (Commonwealth) Games."

"My goal is still to be an assistant coach for an NBL team and if the opportunity arises down the track I'd put my hand up."
Article on Sportal

Reply #74438 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:12 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754