Walks and Talks
Years ago

NEXT SEASON

So who are the favourites for the summer season next year!

Topic #681 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doesnt the summer season start this year?

And youd think the top teams would be Forrestville, North, Norwood, and Southern.

Reply #6783 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Summer season in what?

And besides, Winter hasn't even finished yet!!

Reply #6784 | Report this post

Tigerfan  
Years ago

Can't wait for next season. Southern will have a big year. Hear are my predictions.

Under 10 Girls Southern, Sturt
Under 10 Boys Southern, Sturt,
Under 12 Girls Sturt, Southern, Centrals
Under 12 Boys Sturt, Woodville, Forestville, Southern
Under 14 Girls Southern, Sturt, Centrals and North
Under 14 Boys Sturt, Norwood, West
Under 16 Girls Norwood, North, West and Southern
Under 16 Boys North, Sturt, Southern and Eastern
Under 18 Girls Forestville, Southern, West and North
Under 18 Boys Southern, Forestville, Woodville

20's , not sure because it depends what clubs recruit through seniors.

Am I right? Anyone have any other add ins?

Reply #6790 | Report this post

Tigerfan  
Years ago

Also watch for Centrals in other grades. That drive to Starplex will no longer be the 'gimme' win we usually expect.

Reply #6791 | Report this post

Walks and Talks  
Years ago

Hey anonymous whats the deal buddy. The summer season finishes next year and i want to now who are the favourites.
Tigerfan you sound pretty close with most the grades but i sure hope your not serioius about the Central trips.

Reply #6796 | Report this post

Hoopin  
Years ago

WOW after Southerns recent winter season results you must be recruiting pretty heavily in juniors to have so many contenders.

Reply #6799 | Report this post

Hoopin  
Years ago

Southern supporters are very loyal and the type you would like to have on tour side, but honestly they are a little too optimistic sometimes.

Reply #6800 | Report this post

Curious  
Years ago

I think that Tigerfan is about right. 18,16,10 Boys will be very tough and in the girls 10s,12s and 14s will be tough. 16 and 18 will be around the mark. 16s maybe 3/4 and 18s 3/4. 12 boys 3/4 14 boys 5/6.Only time will tell.And by the way hoopin, you knob, the winter season is not next year, is it? It all starts again with some new coaching lineups and stronger coaching in some of the weaker areas, just watch things improve.

Reply #6815 | Report this post

Hoopin  
Years ago

No need to get personal Curious just telling ya how i see it. By the way the thread was asking about the summer season which is this year and while it isn't the same season player movement is rare and squads from two years ago won't change heaps.

Reply #6817 | Report this post

Walks and Talks  
Years ago

Yeah Michael Touhey is a great coach. (Mod: Don't be an idiot. Comment removed.)
Sorry but if this is what Norlunga want they can have him

Reply #6824 | Report this post

Chocolate Thunder  
Years ago

In U20.2 Woodville have it in the bag the word on the grape vine that they are gonna be a top side and I think South and North will be a good sides again

Reply #6831 | Report this post

Curious  
Years ago

Well i would like to respond to that the fact that Southern and Noarlunga merged 1 year ago means that squads will be significantly different.So there is a lot of movement and a lot of new kids. Southern have recruited well in the off season. This does not mean kids from other clubs, it means local and new kids. Look out!Walk and Talk, dont bag Michael, I dont blame him for leaving Woodville. Maybe he just wanted a change?

Reply #6872 | Report this post

The Big Aristotle  
Years ago

Curious,

You make some good points. And I agree that Southern will be improved. But yuo havn't taken into consideration the imporvements of other clubs. Most clubs would consider that their teams have improved since two years ago. My suggestion is to not put an unnecessary burdon on your kids to win, but rather concern yourself with their improvement and the winning will take care of itself

Reply #6899 | Report this post

Curious  
Years ago

There is no unnecessary burdon put on these kids. I was responding to the fact that hoopin says because of how it was 2 years ago it will happen again. Well Southern was noy formed then so it will be a fair difference from then to now. It's all well and good for people from other clubs to say that they will improve but as i stated, Southern will do it by recruiting juniors of the area, not by recruiting a majority of their better players from other clubs.

Reply #6903 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Still, I think 9 out of 10 divison 1 teams in finals is a bit optimistic, isn't it?

Reply #6905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

tigerfan, out of curiosty, who is the u18 girls team? i hear whilst theyve picked up a few great players from u16's, theyve also lost a few key players.

you never know... they may be up there next year! :S

Reply #6906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hehe Hoop Addict - i totally agree!

Reply #6907 | Report this post

The Big Aristotle  
Years ago

Curious,

I think that you might find that putting the two clubs together is not as easy as it might sound. You could say that this year they should have been better because they have the two clubs together. I love that fact that you are passionate and support your club. But Tiger Fan is being a little optomistic. The results that you and they are talking about would be considered optimistic seeing as not one club was able to achieve that last summer season.

Reply #6912 | Report this post

Tigerfan  
Years ago

18 Boys are a gun side next year. 16 Boys were 3rd two years ago and with Leaver coaching will be there again. 14 and 12 Boys will struggle, but maybe 4/5 and Under 1o boys have two super players. On the girls side I beleive that the 10s, 12s and 14s will be there. Top 3 in both. 16s finished 4th two years ago but have gained through the merger a few girls that are ok and a long as Jess Verheij plays in the 18s they will be highly competitive. Only time will tell.

Reply #6940 | Report this post

Hoopin  
Years ago

Surely the Sturt under 18 boys will be up there they will have the same team as last year

Reply #6943 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

i dont know about sturt 18 boys coz i didnt think they were all that last year

Reply #6946 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

I think Sturt 18 boys depend on if Dodman stays or not.

Reply #6956 | Report this post

Tigerfan  
Years ago

I didnt put Sturt in 18 Boys because of Dodman. Top two if he plays.

Reply #6960 | Report this post

Hoopin  
Years ago

Even if he doesn't they will be strong, as will West

Reply #6966 | Report this post

Liam Flynn  
Years ago

Unknown,

YOu said - 'i dont know about sturt 18 boys coz i didnt think they were all that last year' They won all three Grand Finals in U/16s. I'm not sure what else you want them to do.

I think they won't be as dominant as previous years but since the side had 7 bottom ages this year, you would think they would be a top 4 side. They will also be well coached by Paul Rigoni.

Dodman will be playing Summer until he goes away to the AIS in January.

Reply #6973 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

did they win by much?

Reply #6993 | Report this post

Liam Flynn  
Years ago

Don't know the exact margins, but I think the point is they have displayed consistancy to compete at a high level. I know Dodman will be a big loss for them after Xmas, but I think there is still plenty of quality and experience there for them to be a top 4 team. I guess time will tell.

Reply #6998 | Report this post

?????  
Years ago

Forestville u/18 boys div 1 will win everything this time. Summer, State champs and Winter. Arguably they have some of the best players going around at the moment.

Reply #7016 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

WHY WHO HAVE THEY GOT

Reply #7019 | Report this post

Paul Arnott  
Years ago

Tracey McGrady, Koby Bryant, Jason Kidd and Wilt Chamberlain (he's slower than he used to be, but still has mad game).

And possibly Karl Malone, depending on whether we can fit him under the cap.

Reply #7022 | Report this post

Paul Arnott  
Years ago

On second thoughts, ignore my last post. Apparently, the team hasn't been selected yet.

Perhaps we should wait until after then before we make such grandiose statements (or even better, just let the kids play).

Reply #7023 | Report this post

Wilts dead.

Reply #7024 | Report this post

Paul Arnott  
Years ago

I know. I forgot the smiley :)

Reply #7025 | Report this post

Maybe Kareem will play though

Reply #7026 | Report this post

Paul Arnott  
Years ago

We spoke to Kareem, but he's too busy concentrating on his movie career:

Reply #7027 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

MJ's 4th coming?

Reply #7034 | Report this post

Paul Arnott  
Years ago

We spoke to MJ, but he would only sign if we could fit one of his mates in too. Unfortunately, we couldn't.

Reply #7035 | Report this post

Paul Arnott  
Years ago

Reply #7036 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

why does mj retire and come back. if he is playing this season which team will hee playing for.

Reply #7091 | Report this post

Forestville U18 Div 1 have been chasing him to compliment there stacked lineup. T-Mac wont be happy though.

Reply #7092 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

I heard that after the Olympics that LeBron and Carmelo are pretty cheap...reckon they'd fit under the salary cap?

Reply #7245 | Report this post

Mum  
Years ago

i didnt really think lebron and caemelo preformed well at the olympics

Reply #7253 | Report this post

Paul Arnott  
Years ago

We have left room in our budget for securing the services of Anthony. James would need to spend the next few months on our home shooting program to come under consideration (though would probably be exempt from undertaking our home dunking program).

Reply #7266 | Report this post

Bear15  
Years ago

Who will Forestville u18 have next year that will be able to match up on Chris Molitor and Jordan Long. I would have thought West will be a real chance.

Reply #7394 | Report this post

Ballman  
Years ago

Tigerfan you are dreaming if you think tigers came 3rd in under 16 two years ago. They will be okay in u 18 next year but they only have Phil Brown and Ben Scott and that wont be enuff to win many games

Reply #7396 | Report this post

someguy  
Years ago

who will norwood have next season in under 18 boys?

Reply #7406 | Report this post

Tigerfan  
Years ago

Ballman.

I was talking about 16 girls! The Under 18 boys have picked up two big guys from suns and also South's best player who play State I think. So they will have more than just Phil and Ben.

Reply #7420 | Report this post

Ballman  
Years ago

Fair call tigerfan. Who do you think will challenge the tigers in the u 18 boys then. Will there be anyone who can play on the new big guy from Vic?

Reply #7454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #7457 | Report this post

Tigerfan  
Years ago

The 18 boys will be challenged by Forestville, Sturt, West, Woodville. Will north be there? I think it overall will be a tight comp. We will see who can coach and who can not.

Reply #7529 | Report this post

someguy  
Years ago

what about norwood under 18 boys next season? who have they got?

Reply #7536 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Basically 7 of this years U16s + Zac Fisher.

Reply #7539 | Report this post

Ballman  
Years ago

Do you think Norwood will be around the mark next year Hoopman? They would seem to be very short.

Reply #7540 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Shouldn't really be THAT short - they'll be alright. Probably compete more than that group did in U16s 2 years ago but not quite up there with the big boys.

Reply #7541 | Report this post

gun playa  
Years ago

whos zac fisher?

Reply #7542 | Report this post

shmee  
Years ago

zac fisher is a gun netballer thats who. carved up in open boys netball. anyway, back on the bball side of things, hes like the only remaining second year in the norwood team. Even lil lucas may get a run up in ones as a first year!

Reply #8116 | Report this post

charlie walsh  
Years ago

I question that Shmee. I think the gap in 18s is very minimal between 1st and 2nd yrs. Zac can post, shoot fade away etc. infact I think Nrwod will be very strong come this season and as for lil lucas well that kid is smart!

Reply #8125 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

No u18 names in the general forum.
Norwood will be very competitive, I'm sure PB will see to that!

Reply #8129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lucas is too small for u18s

Reply #8216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

question for paul arnott- who will be the best in u18 boys div 1 and will west benefit from picking up a second year guard from north and gaining a new coach. although their old coach was also a great one. molitor and long...

Reply #8217 | Report this post

Paul Arnott  
Years ago

As per Libertine's post, I'm not a fan of discussing under 18 players on this forum. Although I've coached all these players before (and they are all good players), it's not appropriate for me to comment.

Reply #8219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

fair enuff. should be a good competition by the sounds of things. few too many players inclined to talking more than they play though.

Reply #8221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you reckon {mod: removed} will get sasi again? or is he not good enough or too small

Reply #8222 | Report this post

Paul Arnott  
Years ago

See my last post.

Reply #8223 | Report this post

shmee  
Years ago

he is definitely good enough...

Reply #9241 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:01 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754