Anonymous
Years ago

Players Happy or Not?

Just reading some of the other threads, I get the impression that while the supporters love Smyth, maybe the players (and even staff etc) not so much, hence the reason why maybe Forman and Holmes left?? And the "inside" person leaking information about Wheeler and Copeland, going against or behind Smyth's back?

Am I totally way off?? Because I think it's such a shame to lose Forman and Holmes and Rychart. And to think that these three players left cause they were unhappy makes harder to accept.

Just interested to see what are all your thoughts?

Topic #6826 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forman gets a bigger for lucrative contract that would make anyone in his postion want to accept it. He also gets more court time and be a 'star' with more responsibility

Holmes left due to cash

Ingles didn't come because Smyth can't develop and the Sixers isn't what the young players want to play for

Rychart left because they wouldn't offer enough money or years

overall better deals, Sixers lack of money and bad negotiating in the answers and staff would either like or hate smyth and i think there is both in BSA

Reply #76400 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

I dont think it has anythink to do with it they all wanted to stay but left for more cash in the end. Ingles always wanted to play for the sixers but then decided to go where he would get more cash also substitute development in where cash is if you think thats the real reason..

Reply #76420 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I've spelt it out for you already: Oscar didn't leave for the money, to be a star or whatever, he left because he needs to get out of his comfort zone and try a coach who is more oriented towards individual development if he is to try and accelerate his game. Lemanis has that reputation, and the Breakers also have Dorge to help.

That's not to say that he didn't like playing under Smyth - he had the opportunity to play under Goorjian and Joyce in a few games and camps with the Boomers remember, but he still has an appreciation of Smyth's clean and simple style. I can't put words into his mouth, but I suspect that if he could, he'd train under a Goorjian-type coach and play under someone like Smyth - e.g., during the week pushed really hard, and then during games just left to play the game.

Dusty and Jacob were simply offered better deals.

The "inside" person who leaked Wheeler's deal isn't an "inside" person - that's a completely separate issue.

Of course, having said that, it's undeniable that there is a reasonable selection of the community (who don't rely just on public reports for their assessment of Smyth) who aren't fans of his.

Reply #76432 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

Adding to Isaac's comments about the Wheeler leak... Isn't it even slightly possible that someone saw Phil Smyth talking with Brett Wheeler at the pub, or wherever they talked, and told a friend and it went from there???

Conspiracy theories are great, but sometimes there isn't an "inside person", just someone being in the right place at the right time, seeing or hearing something.

If you want conspiracies and secrets, go join ASIO.

Reply #76434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or perhaps we could ask the Southern Tigers Women coach!

Reply #76446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

igotmadskills u tool.

Ingles didnt leave for cash.

He will be developed and coached under price and ninnis and he was garunteed a position in the 8.

Unlike adelaide who offered him a spot in the 13!

Reply #76453 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

I thought it was pretty obvious BEFORE the Sixers talked to anyone that they would chase Wheeler.

There arnt that many Aussie bigs, and someone like Wheeler not that many clubs would go after (been out of action for a year, injury prone, nearing retirement etc etc).

Reply #76502 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:30 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754