JT
Years ago

Has Erin's WNBA decision cost her an Opals spot?

I was just looking on the Basketball SA web site and noticed that Sam Richards was wearing Erin Phillips' Number 10 Body Suit i think that is in very poor taste consiering Erin Phillips wore that number proud and won a Gold Medal not only a few weeks ago. I think it's a disgrace to Australian basketball. Also does this mean that because she has decided to go to the WNBA that she isn't an Opal?

Topic #6943 | Report this topic

ghost of big kev  
Years ago

no she played last night - richards was in cause erin was sick

there is an ongoing cat and mouse game between opals / coaching re playing overseas whilst jan wants them to stay in oz for an occasional camp

how the oddcamp can compare to the girls getting a full on season of wnba in is beyond me

interestingly enough - jae kingi and renae camino have been signed / drafted to wnba - more opals playing there

i belive there needs to be more negotiation between jan and the players so a comprimise can be reached

jan needs her national preparation and the players need thier careers looked after

i feel a camp or camps in hawaii should be organised - where everyone comes half way

the girls tell thier clubs that they need 4-5 days off and jan gets her camp

how she thinks a season of abl and a couple of camps can be beneficial is ???

playing wnba our girls will study and know the moves of most of the top players

put it this way if newley was offered NBA and goorjan said stay in Oz - who would win???
goorj encourages USA involvement

however - we saw what happened to team USA last olympics - poor preparation led to a poor result

lets all come to the party and work for the betterment of all

the wnba is soaking up our girls at present and we should be proud and behind them - if you saw / knew what odds the girls have from here making it compared to college girls under the nose of usa coaches - it is nothing short of brilliance that our opals are doing well as semi professionals (if that)

Reply #77772 | Report this post

ghost of big kev  
Years ago

i would not be surprised if there is a "make graf opals coach and you can play internationally" push somewhere out there in the basketball world

PS - and I am a jan fan - but i try to keep my head out of the sand!

Reply #77776 | Report this post

missing meerkat  
Years ago

just to make the saga more of a performance - screenie is supposed to be playing in europe - so there is another one off

you can't blame the girls - they get limited chance for decent money - and it is a big world out there

Reply #77783 | Report this post

lil monkey  
Years ago

I think if Erin loses her opals spot, it would be an absolute disgrace on behalf of Jan and Basketball Australia. I agree that we do have other great guards in the country such as sam richards, but clearly Erin is just that one step ahead and will only get better with her WNBA experience and determination. She should be automatic selection for the opals.

Reply #77803 | Report this post

bebe  
Years ago

I know Lauren is supposedly the best player in the world, but Jan can't have 2 sets of rules. if Jackson can play wnba and not ruin her chances for opals selection, the same rule should be applied re other australian wnba players.
after all there are going to be more and more heading for the U.S.A.

Reply #77849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

chill out.

If going to the WNBA is so much better for her game, then it'll be a no-brainer for Jan.

OR

If however she doesn't improve over there, then Jan was right in trying to keep the players at home.

Reply #77852 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

good call anon - i rekon she will be a gun - her and lindsay whalen will be AWESOME - it will be

iverson and bryant

LJ and taylor probably would tell anyone to shove it if they placed too many restrictions on them

erin will play world champs
connecticut will win the wnba title after 2 close calls

it will all pan out - aussies may just beat the yanks as well in brazil

Reply #77856 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:58 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754