Panther
Years ago

Jamie Holmes

Jamie Holmes of the Mount Gambier Pioneers has had another huge game for his team racking up 44 points and 10 rebounds at over 50%.
Last weekend on their road double he had 46 in the first game and 42 in the second game. He also averaged 18 rebounds across that weekend. That's three games in a row over 40 points!
If the sixers can't find anyone why not look at the "other" Holmes? There should be at least one team in the NBL who should pick Jamie up. Anyone remember what Redhage did last season???
This guy was SEABL MVP only two seasons ago!

Topic #7127 | Report this topic

Freddy  
Years ago

Yeah good point Panther. He can perform there is no doubt about it. Might be a case of "out of sight out of mind" down there in the Mount.

Reply #79924 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Holmes' numbers are great ATM but they need to be read in context.

1) He and Dallas are the only go to guys on the team now (and they are losing plenty)

2) The SEABL is not nearly the comp it was a couple of years ago

There are lots of Imports who dominate ABA leagues who should not get a game in the NBL as an import, maybe once naturalised, but not as an Import.

Reply #79935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What position does he play ? How tall etc ?

Reply #79936 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

"HO", Let's put your comments into context.
1) He and Dallas are the only go to guys on the team now (and they are losing plenty)

Agreed they are losing plenty, due to the fact that Jason Sedlock has been out injured for quite a number of games and also that they really are still a big man down even before he went down with injury. But if you think about that and the fact that you say Jamie and Dallas are the only "go to guys" then wouldn't that then make it harder to score those types of numbers at the percentage's that he's doing it at??? Don't you think teams would be throwing two or three players at him if he has no one to pass to? Don't you think that without another big man on their team that he would find it hard to get the rebounds he gets and that teams can change up defenders to keep fresh legs on him?
I wouldn't say that there are plenty of imports out there that dominate the ABA. Some of those quality imports should get a look in though. From the start I was a massive Redhage advocate and NZ were stupid not to play him more. His true potential was shown when the Fish (or Ingham) gave him a shot over at Perth. Someone like West Sydney for example could pick Jamie up at quite a cheap price and then spend more money recruiting locally.

Reply #80025 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

He plays a Power Forward position and I think he's about 6'9 but don't quote me on that. May want to look up the Mount Gambier Pioneers website.

Reply #80028 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If they weren't looking for C first, he might suit Cairns who have Mee now naturalised.

Does he have an agent shopping him around?

Reply #80030 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Yeah I'm pretty sure he does. He had one last year who had almost stitched up a deal with West Sydney but at the last minute they went with Joel Cornette I think.

Reply #80033 | Report this post

Icehouse sweeper  
Years ago

Firstly shut the hell up Panther!
Secondly I believe a strategy of opposing teams has been to allow Jamie to score but deny the ball to ball handlers and Jefree who has the greater no of turnovers under pressure. Not withstanding that there have been 3 games when the big fella has been double and triple teamed all night like in Bendigo and Geelong where he has still made great numbers.
I'm not sure Jamie has that many years left elite ball but at the moment he is putting up some insane numbers. As for those that suggest SEABL is a lower standard than NBL you'd be naive not to agree but the top teams would be far from wooden spoon material if they did compete IMO.
Now Panther unless you want to get your kix back down here shut up about the list! ;-)

Reply #80096 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Panther,

You might be right, it could be that Holmes and jeffree are doing it tougher but it more likley means they are just getting more of the ball and therefore more shots.

Re Imports: Here's the top ten scorers list from the seabl.

1 Holmes (import)
2 Toenbrook(import)
3 Larmand (import)
4 Gilbert (import)
5 Stewart (aussie restricted)
6 Massingale (import)
7 Gruber (import)
8 Harms (aussie)
9 herbert (aussie)
10 allen (unsure)

so that would be 6 out of the top seven with the other an NBL quality aussie.

Big V

Strong (Import)
Small (Import)
Spears (Import)
Anderson (Aussie)
Corletto (Aussie restricted)
Gainey (Import)
Timmons (Import)
McMillan (Aussie)
Petridis (aussie)
Weaver (Import)

Icehouse Sweeper

If you seriously believe that teams from the top end of the 2006 version of the SEABL would be better than canon fodder in the NBL then you need to get out more. A little myopic I feel.

I don't know a single ABA side, not even the magnificent Bendigo 2005 or Sandringham 2006 (six current or former NBL players) that would win anything but the wooden spoon in the current NBL.

Reply #80107 | Report this post

chris  
Years ago

do u think pioneers would be on the bottom of the seabl ladder if they kept or resigned derrick mcdonald?

Reply #80215 | Report this post

rare23air  
Years ago

From SEABL.com.au

SOUTH MEN PLAYER OF THE MONTH - JAMIE HOLMES (Mt Gambier Pioneers)

With three 40+ point games including a career best 46 points, Jamie Holmes continues his domination in the league and earns his third FUTURO Health Supports & Braces Player of the Month Award in his fourth SEABL season. Jamie received the monthly accolade ahead of CJ Massingale (Knox), Justin Allen (NW Tasmania) and Anthony Stewart (Hobart).

Despite his teams poor 0-6 record, Jamie has been a consistent performer for his team, and in his last three games has recorded his three highest points total in his SEABL career. Jamie opened the month in sensational form with 37pts@58%, 13rebs, 1ass, 1blk, 2stls in the Pioneers 87-96 loss to Knox in round four. He then finished the month with another fantastic solo effort with 44pts@58%, 10rebs, 1ass, in a losing effort against NW Tasmania.

Jamie earned Player of the Week recognition for his sensational efforts on the road in week six. Jamie averaged a magnificent 44pts and 15rebs, both well above his career SEABL average of 27.7ppg and 13.1rpg. In his first game for the weekend, Jamie recorded a career best 46pts@54%, 14rebs, 1ass and 1blk. The following night in Albury/Wodonga, Holmes recorded 42pts@48%, 16rebs, 2blks and 2stls.

Jamie currently leads the league in scoring (33.8ppg), is third in rebounds (13.8) and sixth in field goal percentage (50.0%). If his unstoppable form continues throughout the season he may become the third player to earn two SEABL MVP titles having earned the Most Valuable Player trophy in the Pioneers Championship year of 2003.

Reply #80399 | Report this post

Whistleblower  
Years ago

Catch the latest edition of "Handle" magazine for an article on the big guy.

Reply #81194 | Report this post

Hendrix  
Years ago

Jamie Holmes was the best thing to happen to the Pioneers and the South East...why'd we let him go....?

Reply #116623 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:27 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754