Paul
Years ago

Funny Worlds on TV - Time to Act!

Hello everyone. My name is Paul Kennedy. I am a correspondent for FIBA.

The reason I post on the forum is to update you on negotiations concerned with the broadcast of the 2006 World Championships.

FIBA continue to negotiate with pay-television providers, and while progress is pleasing, it is far from certain that the tournament will be shown.

No free-to-air television stations are still in talks with FIBA. SBS, the most likely broadcaster, have decided not to screen the world championships.

It is time for the basketball fans to act, or will may not be able to see the pinnacle of our sport on television in Australia.

The first, and most obvious steps are to contact SBS, this can be done by mail, email or phone at the following;

email: [email protected]
phone:(free)1800 500 727

mail:

Director of Television
Special Broadcasting Service
Locked Bag 028
Crows Nest NSW 2065

I strongly suggest, at the very least, that you phone and email.

" Ask why they are not screening the championships.
" Point out that there are over 3.3 million Australians with ancestry from the 20 of the 23 countries (excluding Australia) competing in Japan, and these are the people the publicly funded broadcaster is designed to service.
" This includes over 800,000 with Italian ancestry; over 750,000 with German; 600,000 Chinese; 450,000 Greek; 150,000 Lebanese and 100,000 Serbians.
" Ask that your displeasure with their decision be passed on to the relevant person, Matt Campbell (not the Hawk), Director of Television and Online Content.

The next step is equally important. Email the Minister for Communications, Helen Coonan, asking her to examine why SBS is not screening the Championships.
The SBS Charter states that;

'The principal function of SBS is to provide multilingual and multicultural radio and television services that inform, educate and entertain all Australians and, in doing so, reflect Australia's multicultural society.' adding that it should 'contribute to the overall diversity of Australian television and radio services.'

In ignoring the World Championship of a sport played in 214 countries, that potentially interests over 3.3 million Australians of multicultural ancestry, SBS is breaching its' own charter, in spirit at the very least.

Point out the same facts as per the email/phone call to SBS, and mention the number of people you know who would be interested in watching this world event.

Helen Coonan's' contact details are;

email: [email protected]

phone: (02) 6277 7480

mail:
Office of the Minister for Communications,
Information Technology and the Arts
Parliament House
CANBERRA ACT 2600

It is vital that every basketball fan takes the time to contact the Minister and SBS. Even just an email to each will make a difference.

Just as important, is to get the people close to you to do the same. Family, friends, basketball teammates. If we make the effort and succeed, it means we and the rest of Australia gets the opportunity to watch great basketball in an extremely friendly timeslot.

Aim to get 3 other people to contact the Minister and SBS.

Time for basketball fans to make their voice heard - GOOD LUCK!

Topic #7402 | Report this topic

Sixers33  
Years ago

u and Hurley are my heroes

Reply #83244 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Keep it polite and professional.

Reply #83255 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

I sent a few e-mails of to different people to inquire about the possibility of the Men's World Championships being on Australian Television

I sent one to SBS television, the Minister For communications (Helen Coonan's') and Basketball Australia

Basketball Australia - [email protected]

Minister for communications (Helen Coonan's') - [email protected]

SBS television - [email protected]

Keep pestering the appropriate people and hopefully we can get something the WC on Australian Television, I am not holding my breath but hopefully something can get done.

Absolutely agree with Isaac sentiments about keeping it polite and professional, we want them to basically do us a favour and they don't need a tirade of abuse.

Reply #83262 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

Another address to email is [email protected] .

He is the head of television at SBS as I mentioned, and direct emails to him may have a greater effect.

Reply #83280 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

Hello everyone,

I have contacted basketball forums, basketball clubs and associations, ethnic clubs from many of the communities I mentioned in my first post, and hundreds of individuals with an interest in basketball.

While some indicated no interest in working to get the World Championships on free to air television, the overwhelming majority have.

As such, the response has been almost overwhelming, and the prospect of SBS broadcasting the tournament is back on the map.

However, one weekends worth of emails will make little difference. It is vitally important that if you have not contacted SBS and the Minister for Communications, that you take the 5 minutes required to do so.

If you have done this, thankyou, but please forward the relevant email adresses to family and friends who enjoy watching basketball, and implore them to voice their support for the cause.

The number of groups/ people I have contacted has the potential to generate thousands of emails - but this is what it will take to achieve the end result.

SBS have expressed a wish that all emails are sent to [email protected], please respect this, we do not wish to make any enemies on this matter. Also remember to free call SBS on 1800 500 727.

Once again, thankyou, but please make that extra effort that will see basketball return to free to air television.

Paul Kennedy.

Reply #83512 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:49 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754