Anonymous
Years ago

For those less fortunate

With winter upon us and extremely cold nights, high electricity and petrol prices there a people out there who are suffering.

Be it the homeless or ordinary families hit by a rise in their mortgage then $1.40 a litre petrol prices.

As a basketball community why can't we give a can of food or a blanket or something to some of the deserving charities, Salvo's, Wesley Mission, Hutt Street Centre (who feed the homeless) are just a few I could name.

It would be great if our clubs could organise for even just their seniors to bring a can of food to their next training session. Or advertise it for an ABA game everyone bring along a can or jar of non perishable food. I'm positive the local charities would be willing to come along from each club and pick up the produce.

Topic #7521 | Report this topic

John Lawrence  
Years ago

totally agree. how about it you basketball fans... how about next week's (June 17 & 18) ABA round, we make it a charity round... where we put in a donation of some non-perishable food for a worthwhile charity. I would be happy to help where possible, even though I am far from rich myself. Let's fill the stands everywhere, and help somebody who isn't as lucky as we are.

Reply #84494 | Report this post

Lee Lin Chin  
Years ago

I agree. Bring a can and have a cook off at the dome.

Then again who will feed us? The working poor who earn "too much" and cannot get any Govt. assistance. Next time you go somewhere and they ask if you have a govt. concession or similar, say "No. I'm the working poor who actually has to pay full price everywhere".

Next time you rock up to a game darlings, ask for concession on the basis of a discriminated minrotiy group

Reply #84496 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Oh K

Reply #84504 | Report this post

Sixers33  
Years ago

stop calling us darlings

Reply #84516 | Report this post

Vicky P  
Years ago

I think southern used to do a bring a can of food as the entry fee a few years back not sure if they still do.

Reply #84548 | Report this post

brad  
Years ago

na seriosu guys help the poor, i only need 5 bucks for some port.ahahah

Reply #84565 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:13 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754