Jonno
Years ago

My talking hoops recap

Great show by Paul Bell and Kevin Brooks, heres a recap for anyone who is interested.

Kevin Brooks and Paul Bell were hosting the show!!
At first they discussed there favourite playoff moments, mentioning the ones from nba.com, the jordan dynasty featured a lot in these discussions. Along with guys like Magic, Detroit, etc.
Then they had the NBA recap wit Liam, and discussed the heat v detroit, and the upcoming finals series, I think they all tipped the heat to take it out, Shaq and Dwayne Wade being major factors.
Chris rang up and had a chat to the boys, and discussed the nba, Chris has just been to the US and checked out the heat and tips them and rates Wade highly!!
Interviewd Willie Simmons, Who is living in Melbourne doing coaching and playing for monash university div 2 team!! He mentioned he loved playing in Adelaide at the dome, mentioned Norm Taylor and Mark Bradtke as toughest opponents, mentioned mark davis, as best team mate. Told the story of how he came to Australia, his agent in Australia told him he could get a gig down hear, he heard about our great life style and had fun, started with couburg giants, then to Canberra, then to Adelaide in 93, he won 1 championship wit Canberra in 1988, he played wit Belly in State league, loved doing the hook shot and shot blocking!!! Enjoyed playing under Mike Dunlap and Bruce Palmer, as they worked hard and got the best out of him, played with Karl Malone for 2 years at college, senior year went 29-3, n got beat by hakeem in the final!!
Had a trial wit 1990-91 wit the jazz, with Karl.
Belly mentioned, that in 96-97 when Willie was playing wit west Adelaide, Willie and karl kept in touch and Karl was considering a trip to oz for a holiday and was considering having a run with west Adelaide, unfortunately it never happened, how good would of that been!!!
2nd caller Derrick, David Spear, joked about how Willie mentioned Dunlap's coaching n not his, n bought up the dean brogan incident. KB n belly discussed it, and KB didn't condone it but said he can understand what happened.
Smyth interview, Asked Smyth about brogan, and he said he probably just snapped for some reason n probably regrets it, and he thinks people have to realize they cant have it both ways, having access to players doesn't mean public can abuse them. And if it happens, public may have to have less access to players if this stuff is going to continue. People have to put themselves in the athlete's position and realize the double standard.
Discussed the 2nd import, looking at 4 players, didn't confirm or deny, freeman or greer, if none of the 4 come off, they are probably gonna have 2 go to the summer league and scout a import, going through a methodical process, down the list. Last time they went was 5 years ago to pick up Willie farley, said they want a player like KB, joked that if he can shape up he will save the 6ers a lot of hassles, mentioned kb as a possible assistant, who he is going 2 send 2 find the next him, kb said willing 2 comeback if gets all money upfront, lol good laugh!!
Phil likens majstrovich to a younger cattalini and thinks he's a good team guy and good athlete who just needs more confidence, he believes that if they can get the guys they want they will potentially have a better side than last year, and the 2nd import is a important piece, and if they get it all right he thinks they have a very exciting/good feel about it like in some of the championship seasons. KB mentioned that its all about getting the right pieces not just young players, and thinks that getting the veterans is a good move, and they are hoping Leonard can be sort of like a d-mac role, off the bench, but obviously a different player to d-mac, and also loves copelands out going lively personality at training and in games, and thinks even though he is 40, by the end of it, he believes fans will agree he is a good pick up.
And he said players like Derek Rucker were not the right pieces in his opinion, and drew comparisons to the Miami heat recruitment, probably meaning payton and walker.
Mentioned aba, n Maher stacking it, Maher was keen to play so they let him, but recognize the risks and thinks its good for Brett n the comp. thins it'd b good to have the aba back on weds night, like the old Apollo days. And believes there is some great talent, specially out of the academy. Magic Johnson stepping in for kareem stands outs, also mentioned a back door ally of kb and sappas threes as stand out moments of basketball grand finals more than nba.
Belly continued to discuss about aba, agreeing its good on Wednesday at 1 venue, for scouting, social and revenue reasons, and to avoid clashes with footy n get some good crowds.
3rd caller, Fred, (aka Brett Maher) asking how kbs back going?? Going pretty good, playing pick up n going ok. Kbs biggest coaching challenges, not been thrown out of games, molding and managing the players and people, communicating more than the X's n O's of basketball
Steve Carfino interview, thinks the dragons look pretty good with guys like Jacob Holmes, and Singapore have some good solid players, Kb asked him about cairns, with Alan black, Roberts, mee as a Aussie, allowing them to have 2 imports!! Need the players, like aguiy who knows how to win, Darnell, trying to surround him with quality players to make some noise, ala dmac n the tigers, Belly mentioned new Zealand as a team that could b interesting adding oscar n wethers, carfino mentions, lemanis has set a hard work ethic and they improved as the season went last year, and he has now gone out n got guys like oscar 6'9 n can shoot the lights out, mentions around the league, guys trying to improve n make the boomers, and thinks the breakers will be ok, and mentions olson and behrendorf as underated players. Belly asked him about Brisbane, with there acquisitions, such as dusty, steve said it was kind saying they under achieved last season, thinks it was the worst under achieve season ever, and thinks bradtke had a bad season, and with all the names they had feels they should have been a lot better, can't belive joey wright didn't cop more heat, and thinks it's a do or die season for them. Believes Adelaide will make it into the playoffs n are dangerous as they can roll anyone with the way they play, and they had to make some changes and give guys like hill a chance to step it up, and mentions a possible new lease on life for copes and wheeler, and reckons majstrovich was a great pick up, steve always loves seeing, underachievers shine in Adelaide under smyth, kb asked him about how the league is moving forwards, he hopes its moving forward n hopes its around for a long time, n mentioned the soccer v basketball, saying a-leagu is stiff competition, believes as far as talent n players getting jobs overseas, feels basketball is similar in this area, thinks the players and coaches are getting better, and feels the league is improving and just needs to persevere, mentions positives such as nz n sing team, fox trying to take coverage 2 new level to try and right out the side, steves top 4, tigers, Sydney, cairns, bullets.
Brett Maher arrives, mentioned how he got knocked down,
Read out the aba results for the week. (check out the results on this site)
Next caller, Dana, asked Brett about season ticket discount for longtime holders, apparently, wheeler and Copeland for a press conference tommorrow, n these things are being discussed and considered, these things will be made when the new owner comes in.
Maher, Mentions a incident with oscar in the aba and feels, the ref needs to step in early and take control of the game to prevent these things happening.
Sam Woosman interview. Asked how her injuries are, she said shes ok, enjoying playing aba at the moment, after last years injuries, looking forward to the next wnbl season. Found last year harder as she was forced to played a diff role due to injuries, asked about euro aspirations, said she hasn't made a decision but is considering it, met jess foley today, recruited Lauren king, recruiting a big, lost sumerton to italy and willey from last years team. Talked about aba, playing with bearcats, who have had a lot of injuries, and feels they are ok, still keeps in touch with players overseas and misses playing with some of them. Is sure the lightning will b fine re the ownership side of things, aims to play till her late 30's and is taking it as it comes, year to year, depending on her body, can see her self playing for at least 3 or 4 years, feels Sydney will be strong, and wit a dandenong clean out, thinks it will b a even season.
Maher's favorite nba moments, loved magic filling in for kareem, when larry bird shot from the top of the key n got his own board, 1 favourite moment is isiah Thomas rolling his ankle n keep going wit like 25 in 1 quarter, and Jordan!!

Topic #7533 | Report this topic

DJ  
Years ago

Good stuff, thanks Jonno, appreciated!

Reply #84588 | Report this post

Sawmeinhalf  
Years ago

Love your work Jonno. Have been waiting for a wrap-up like this so well done.

I think Belly tipped the Mavs to not be boring.

Reply #84590 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Great work Jonno, missed the show last night due to ball game, this was better than taping it!

Reply #84597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done Jonno - they should employ you as their PR Consultant!

Reply #84598 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Nice work Jonno.

Interesting that Maher mentioned the refs on Saturday night. After a North player was knocked to the ground by Oscar, Maher said to the refs "it's your fault that happened" - implying that they were letting the game get out of hand. Maher got hit by illegal screens a couple of times around then also.

Reply #84602 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Its interesting, everyone here, inlcuding myself is tipping the heat to win this series. In america though its a different story - the majority of ESPN and some of NBA.com's regular "people" are tipping the mavs. Do they know something we dont know? or is everyone just jumping on the shaq/wade bandwagon.

Reply #84603 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I don't think Shaq and D Wade were as impressive during the regular season as the Mavs, even the Pistons and the Spurs. But as everyone knows, Shaq has come to play these playoffs and brought his A game and energy. I think the series will come down to how much the big fella can keep out of foul trouble, as well as Wade.

Reply #84614 | Report this post

Bonz  
Years ago

Thanks for your hard work Jonno!

Reply #84623 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I think it will go to seven games with the shaq daddy dominating the finals as he always does, and D.Wayde getting to the hoop any way he pleases. Diggler will average 30-35 for the series but the bench ie Stackhouse need to step it up if they are going to win.I am tipping the Heat in Seven unless Stack can actually shine on a big stage and score heavily to eliminate GP and Walker's bench contribution.
Should be a high scoring series though......

Reply #84624 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

thanks Jonno..appreciate the update and effort

Reply #84632 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Cheers Jonno. Fantastic Write up.

Reply #84633 | Report this post

D Brent  
Years ago

boo hoo.. maher got hit by a couple of illegal screens, poor brett. its all good though when his team mates set them - car wash man.

Reply #84637 | Report this post

Sawmeinhalf  
Years ago

You know Jonno, based on the unanimous applaus from Hoopsters you couldn't possibly let us down by not providing these wrap-ups every week.

Reply #84638 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Hey guys, thanks for your approval, no worries for doing it, i enjoyed it actually, as i find you concnetrate and get more of the show if taking notes, i will try and do it every week, since people seemed to have appreciated it!!
And i reccomend tuning into the show first hand if possible, as Paul Bell and his co-hosts always do a great job!!! Thank you to them for there efforts!!

Reply #84641 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I always try to tune in and listen myself. I actually managed to get my cpu to record the streaming a few weeks ago. But I had to manually do it. Anyone know of any programs where you can set a timer to record it?

Reply #84644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

d brent - good bye finals!!

Reply #84652 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Who is going to stop Nowitzki?

Reply #84658 | Report this post

Sam  
Years ago

Skip, i dont know how to but if someone does it would be great if someone could post the stream line on here the next day so those of us that miss it can listen, any ideas how to issac?

Reply #84659 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

There's something out there that can do it, but it costs. Can't remember the name, but you could find it with a search. Once you've recorded the audio file, you just need to host it somewhere.

Reply #84660 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I can record the Audio file if I am home to start it. Thats what i did a few weeks ago when they had D-Mac on but you couldnt understand a word he said.

I want to be able to set it up so it just starts recording at 6:30 when Im not there.

When I next record it I will put it up for people to download if they like.

Reply #84661 | Report this post

D Brent  
Years ago

how do you how well my social team is going anon?? i will have you know we are sitting firmly in the top four at the moment...thanks for showing some interest though.

Reply #84766 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:01 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754