Anon
Years ago

Funny Pasadena Shut down

The stadium has been closed due to the current unsafe condition of the playing courts until further notice

Topic #7536 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have a fun weekend re-organising the schedules, Arnie. I feel for ya!

Reply #84643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well they have two weeks to get to it, with all teams away.
Its probably a good time for it!!!

Reply #84645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can Pasadena be unsafe compared to Hillcrest etc??

Reply #84646 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

This is correct. I have been notified that an independent authority had reviewed the courts and the interim controller has decided that they present liability issues as they stand.

Pasadena is one of, if not the, most profitable venues for BSA, so hopefully this encourages them to take care of the issue.

The stadium is closed to district games, trainings, and any other programs until further notice.

Stay tuned and hopefully any rescheduling can be posted on the forum.

Reply #84647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isnt it kind of ironic that one of the newest stadiums in the State has floorboard issues that are deemed dangerous when some of the older stadiums like Hillcrest and M Vale have had these issues ignored for years?

Reply #84656 | Report this post

Glen  
Years ago

My bet is its not due to deadspots but more the nails that are known to come up from the floors. I've never heard of this at any other stadium.

Reply #84657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More so that it is possilbe for somebody to fall through one of the boards as they have moved so much that they are cracking and breaking.

Reply #84662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldn't it be more likely the "gaffer tape" covering some major holes in the floor on all 3 courts!!

Let's face it, it's been pretty dodgy for years. I assume it was a cheaper, lower quality wood than was used at some of the older stadiums, that's why Pasadena is in trouble and not the Hillcrests etc.

It certainly isn't something that can be sorted in a couple of weeks - the whole floor would have to be relaid for mine.
Then again, it's not getting any worse, at least not quickly...

Reply #84663 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

I like to think that without me there, it hasn't been able to survive!

Reply #84669 | Report this post

Awesome Man!  
Years ago

Exactly what I was thinking Matty!!

Reply #84670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can the games be played at St Clair in the mean time? And M Vale doesn't have "floor boards", they have planks of wood don't they?

Reply #84682 | Report this post

nudnik  
Years ago

WTF? what's a floor board if it's not a plank of wood ??!!

Reply #84697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isnt it true that it only cost $500,000 to build Pasadena. If that the truth then there is their first mistake!!!!

Reply #84699 | Report this post

Flip  
Years ago

Pt Adelaide was an Advantage for West, They should know all the dead spots, since our club spent a lot of money on our floor boards.

Reply #84700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pasadena is a $3M complex of which BASA put in a little less than Half. It will cost about $400K to redo the floors.

Reply #84707 | Report this post

unley high and underdale gym sound good to me

Reply #84710 | Report this post

hope some resolve becomes of all this - there is no way such a new stadium should have floors the way they are - only 5 odd years old

yet if they signed off that it was ok ??? yet there should be some sort of warranty

commonsense says - paying that much money on a decent project - the floors should have lasted a lot longer and of better quality

Reply #84712 | Report this post

Kafman  
Years ago

I remember playing a cold state champs only about 2 years after pasadina was built and hail was coming in through the roof.

Oh yeah, we Bearcats know the Port Adelaide dead spots like the back of our hand.

Reply #84714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unley High has no space for district basketball as there life be in it program is huge. They would not have time to fit us in. The only time sturt get is training sunday morning.

Reply #84718 | Report this post

flinders uni gym ???

only 1 court in 1 gym - the other gym ???

Reply #84721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how long will it be shut down for any ideas? the courts where preety dodge i mean court two and three seem to be held together by duck tape. and the roof does leak a bit in the rain.

Reply #84722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely Morphett Vale is next? That place is worse than Pasadena.

Reply #84724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anywhere between 12 weeks and 12 months

Reply #84725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have played and fallen through the floor on court one getting my ankle stuck.
I have umpired for a few years now, and many times during the week there has a least been 3 incidents when the nails have been taped and forced down after popping up.

The re-inforcements underneath the floors differ to other courts, like Wayville. Instead of having a brick-like effect underneath, it has a stair-like effect, therefore casuing the large gaps underneath the floor and no proper hold.
They laid the floor without adequate gaps, not allowing for expansion during the hotter months.

All the problems that have occured show that indeed the money spent on Pasadena was half the amount spent on Wayville.

Hopefully it will all be rectified second time round when someone, either the Government either the Education Department or the an independent authority or Basketball SA owns up to this problem and accurate and a substantial amount is spent on the stadium so problems do not arise in the future.

Reply #84728 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Some of the guys that put the floor down at Pasadena also did the floor at the Dome. They knew looking at the plans & the materials provided that there were going to be problems. The whole floor is built to lower specs than the Dome. The budget for timber for the floor at the Dome was greater than the budget for Pasadena, even though the Dome was built much earlier.

While they are checking the floor out they should probably keep an eye on the lights ...

Everyone tread lightly at Port Adelaide, Hillcrest & Morphett Vale - we can't afford for one of them to be closed at the moment!

Reply #84732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The money is there and waiting to be spent. 6 weeks at the most it will be shut. It is in BASA best interest in re opening as soon as possible because of the money they will loose. 12 months? I don't think so.

Reply #84733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I got a bad feeling this will drag on for far longer than everyone thinks.

Reply #84749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac, wheres that photo you have of the partially constructed Death Star.....thought it might be appropriate in this instance.....or even better do you have one of the Death Star exploding......just looking at the lighter side of the issue course

Reply #84752 | Report this post

Vader  
Years ago

It has been suggested that our Death Star will be not opperating for the next 16 weeks. But it may be until Christmas if there are an legal problems. After that we will continue our hunt for the rebel alliance and get back to dominating the galaxy.

I hope that the ewoks are not planning on assisting a rebel lead assault on our security station in the mean time.

Reply #84762 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I thought that stormtroopers wore white, not light blue ...

Reply #84763 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

White was their away uniform.

Reply #84764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unley will soon have five courts. Soon to be one of the biggest Stadiums in South Australia and BSA has nothing to do with it.

Reply #84767 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

This reminds me of a game at Forestville when Bradtke was playing for North.
He hit the deck very hard and appeared motion less for a few seconds.

He motioned towards the bench for help trying to raise an arm.

The enitire crowd gasped at the thought that Bradtke had freakishly paralised himself in the fall.

Turned out that his singlet was caught on nails coming out of the court.

He laid motionless on the floor unable to move until someone cut his singlet free of the nails.

Reply #84768 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

How old are you Kent ? Jeez that would have to have been "light years" ago !!

Reply #84770 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Kent was birthed, not from a womb, but from a basketball. He is one with the game itself.

Reply #84771 | Report this post

Vader  
Years ago

My home and away uniform is black. You will change to suit me. (Old jedi mind trick)

Reply #84772 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

I was there too Kent!

I remember personally taking a charge at Morphett Vale and hearing a tear as I slide backwards on my arse.

I stood up expecting a massive hole in my shorts, but fortunately just the outer layer of mesh, not the inner!

Reply #84773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watch out Vader, "Luke Skywalker" Daws and his sidekicks "Han Solo" Arnott, "Chewbacca" O'Brien and their Rebel Alliance will beat you in the end.

I'm sure of it, I've seen the movies!

Reply #84775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I remember a Norwood U16 player about 5 years ago or so getting attacked by a floorboard at MARS, ripped his shorts all the way down one side.

Reply #84776 | Report this post

Vader  
Years ago

The 'rebel alliance' only won because it was in the movies. In real life the shades of Blacka dn White are all grey. Who is really good and who is really evil? I guess it is all a metter of perspective.

Reply #84777 | Report this post

Darth Maul  
Years ago

Don't worry Vades, I've got ya back!

Reply #84778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This just goes to show, good will overcome evil.... ALWAYS!!!

Reply #84779 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Yoda is about controling inner space whilst Vader is about controling outer space.

Reply #84780 | Report this post

Career Moves...  
Years ago

Reply #84783 | Report this post

Career Moves...  
Years ago

Time to get off the couch boys and girls, go get some fresh air.

Reply #84784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Live long and prosper!!

What??? Wrong movie??? Damn.......

Reply #84786 | Report this post

woodville balla  
Years ago

wat about the new stadium beoing built at st. aloyuisus...* (spell chek) cnt they play district games ther....?? heard thers gona be 2 couts, glass backboards. sounds like a gd place 2 play bball. nice and central as well

Reply #84791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

st aloysius will not be finished until mid 2007

and yes it will be good

Reply #84794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

give the school time to realize they can do well financially by hosting a district club and the club can benefit from a 1,000 plus girls school at their front door

Reply #84795 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

I think Westminster will be used a lot.

Reply #84797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

St peters, that school as one of the best courts in SA but they would charge heaps so i guess not.

Reply #84804 | Report this post

Take Luck  
Years ago

underdale couldnt be used, we can barely use it for training, and then not to mention the courts and rims. great for training but not for games

Reply #84806 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Woodville Balla

Why are you worried about the spelling of 'st aloysius' when every other word that was written was incorrectly spelt?

Reply #84817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just saw the draw changes,

it seems sturt will be using westminster and blackwood as there stadiums

Reply #84822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

aahhhh tatoine even!

Reply #84842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PASADENDA FOR EVAS

Reply #85032 | Report this post

Yoda  
Years ago

Pasadena Stadium work needed on floor.

Makes surface unstable running it is!

Counter lawyer attack for party who be injured quite the possibility!

Reply #85268 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:00 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754