skip
Years ago

Rob Rose V Lanard Copeland

Cairns have just announced that they have signed Rob Rose to a 3 month deal to cover Gary Boodnikoff while he is out with an ankle injury.

It got me thinking (and this may have been brought up before) Who would you rather have in the sixers lineup? Rose or Copeland.

Both are legends of the game.

Both are in their forties.

Both have played over 450 games.

Rob however seemed to have a far more consistent season last year compared to Lanard who spent a lot of time on the bench.
Was it just a matter of price with Lanard?
You wouldnt think that Rose would have a high price if he is willing to take just 3 month deals.

I personally would have loved to have seen Rose back here for a swan song but still look forward to seeing what Copeland can bring.

Topic #7889 | Report this topic

XY  
Years ago

Rose had more output last season in an underperforming team where he saw lot of minutes, where the club had no other real talent.

Lanard had less output last season playing fewer minutes on an equally underperforming club that had tons of talent.

I can't find their stats per minute from last season, but it would not surprise me if Lanard was more productive for minutes played.

I think Lanard would likely be the more useful when it comes to explosive impact player off the bench. Rose would have been handy as a back up pg.

Have to see how Copes performs to call this one.

Reply #88248 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea thats a tough question, ive always been a Rob Rose fan, but Lanard Copeland is also a heck of a player, and i think they both seem to be at the same stage of there career, so i guess its a case of seeing how they perform this season. One also may be asking a higher price than the other, which also would be a factor. At this stage i'll back Smyths judgement and say Copeland.

Reply #88252 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Whoops, I must have taken a while typing this. Im sure that The journo hadnt posted the Rose story when I began typing. Sorry Mate!

At least if (heaven forbid) Copeland were to break down, we know at this stage Rose would be free to bring on board :-)

Reply #88255 | Report this post

bush telegraph  
Years ago

both are legends

copeland is a better fit for adelaide

still - it's all about the chemistry

Reply #88256 | Report this post

skyhook  
Years ago

I think Rose is too selfish to play on the team we have. Copeland wont be as demanding on the coaching staff for playing time . Rose has been quoted as saying he hates being a role player and demands more mins.

Both great players - but i think IF you had to choose the better of the two Lanard is the right choice.

Reply #88285 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

No worries skip, if I had to choose, I'd go for Rose.

Rose does have that flexibility of playing inside or outside whereas Copeland would rarely play the 4 spot.

Isn't it funny that we are talking about this, they are both no. 21 too! (Iknow that means nothing but still a little quirky a side.)

That's Mee, Cattalini and Rose now in Cairns, with Rillie and Newley in Townsville and Bradtke, Rychart in Brisbane, is this the Queensland 36ers?

Reply #88286 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I agree with Skyhook - I think Copeland is better geared to play a back-up role as will be required with this years team.

Reply #88288 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Question people: If Rose is on a 3 month contract, is there any rule that stops us picking him up later in the season if he has played on another team this year. Don't remember it happening before that's all.

Reply #88305 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

Didn't Adelaide get Rychart after he played the first 10 games with the Victoria Giants?

Reply #88330 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I think they did Journo, now that you say it... that was due to Vic going under though...correct?

Reply #88332 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, it was because they cut him.

Reply #88334 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Well said Skyhook - IMO the Smyth style of play relies on having team chemistry and a group that play for each other before themselves - happy to make an extra pass than take an open shot, get on the floor after a loose ball etc etc. Rose just hasnt demonstrated this side of his game over the recent season rather looking to make as much personal impact in the time he has been on the court.

Reply #88336 | Report this post

Fiji  
Years ago

Not just the last season Statman...EVER is the word you were looking for.

Great individual player that Rose has been (pun very much intended), it's always been about me with him.

Copeland a better fit, better leader, better teacher and better bloke.

I really think he will add to our group.

Reply #88342 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Good point Fiji - I actually missed the "s" off seasons in my post.

When Rose came into the league and for many years he was a flat out star so him being selfish was often OK as he was teh go to man. As age has caught up with him he should have taken a backwards step and looked to be a teacher and help those around him be better players by setting an example and doing the little things that often go unnoticed on the stat sheet - but are still invaluable to making a group of players a better TEAM

Reply #88353 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

Id go lanard over rose simply because he did sit out most of last year so he will be fresh & free from niggliung injuries etc. From what ive heard hes rearing to go also so that always helps, attitute is such a big thing in any sport and the more you want it the harder you are going to work to get it.

Lets all get to the games and see how we go.

Reply #88365 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

I'm not convinced Lanard is any more of a team player than Rose is.

Potentially, there is no reason why Copeland couldn't give us exactly what Forman did last season, or even more. But unfortunately I don't think he has the attitude to play such a role and sit back and wait for the open shots. He has too much confidence in his own ability, which isn't always a bad thing, but it is if the body is no longer able to live up to that.

Reply #88375 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

I think Rose knows that he is not THE MAN anymore.

You can tell by how Newley blossomed and with Rillie and Abney as the main scorers last season, Rose did have a restricted role, he even started coming off the bench and still produced some quality minutes in my opinion.

Sure Copeland didnt play as much but shouldn't that go against him, we know that ROse can play out a season, whereas Copeland is a worry. (Along with Wheeler but that is totally a different issue)

Would have Rose's name come up in discussion when the Copeland dealings started?

Reply #88378 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I seem to recall several weeks ago Rose being interviewed on Hoops FM (early May I think) and saying he had not been approached by Adelaide at any point.
So his name may have come up in discussion but It would seem he was never approached to see if he had any interest.

Reply #88382 | Report this post

Sawmeinhalf  
Years ago

Just to throw a spanner into the works, on a player by player selection I would rather have Rucker over both Copeland and Rose. However, I'm not sure that Rucker would have accepted a role off the bench on our team and possibly not add the chemistry of Copes, but he played some pretty good games last year and isn't bad at running teams from the point.

I just tried to look Rucker's stats up on NBL.com, but he's disappeared from the list, as has Rose, but Copes is still in there. Anyone know what Rucker is up to this season? I would have thought he'd have a few more years left in him.

Reply #88406 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Rucker is considered by some to be a bit of a cancer for a team, although he still has the ability - statistically the 11th best player in the NBL last year.

Rucker, at this stage, is still a free agent I believe. Possible spot for him at West Sydney but I don't know if there's a major role left for him in the league.

Reply #88413 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

He has sorta already become a little forgotten. I was disapointed he was out injured when the Bullets came to town last year. Always enjoyed his game.
I am quite surprised he hasnt been picked up somewhere yet.

Reply #88422 | Report this post

brad  
Years ago

good call bush tellagraph i think the chemistry is the main thing, if its not there we can have all the talent in the world,but we ain't winning

Reply #88427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't even contemplate why this is a topic. Copeland or Rose? retire it's over!!!!!!!

Reply #88458 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

I'm confident that Copes will be a great fit. FFS, he was suffocated by the "Dad & Drewey" system & still withstood the pain.
Last year he wasn't given any freedom. I'm sure that he'll love being here.

Reply #88651 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:02 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754