brad
Years ago

BEST 36er

hey i was having a discussion the other day with a few mates about the greatest sixer of all time,

names like ali,Green,Ninnis,Blakemore and smyth were thrown around.

who do you guys think and why?

Peace Brad

Topic #7908 | Report this topic

davo  
Years ago

definately Blakemore. good call.

Reply #88518 | Report this post

Mark Bradtke

Reply #88519 | Report this post

brad  
Years ago

ye i rekon Blakemore aswell he built like bricks

Reply #88521 | Report this post

Rueben  
Years ago

Jerry Durnard

Reply #88526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mark Davis

Reply #88527 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

brad, I think the Blakemore comment by davo was something called sarcasm...(if it wasn't it should be!!!)

Personally I think naming Blakemore along with names like Ali, Smyth and Ninnis is a little disturbing.

If you mentioned names like McCurdy, English, Scalzi, O'Donnell, Svaldenis and Brown with Blakemore I think would of been more appropriate.

Anyway, to answer your question you can't go past the following names (no particular order, and yes I've probably missed a heap of names):

Maher, Davis, Green, Mee, Cat, Pearce, Bradtke.

Reply #88528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maher or Davis - simple.

Reply #88529 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

TR

You rank Brad Davis as one of the all time greats?

Reply #88531 | Report this post

davo  
Years ago

Congrats to TR for recognising sarcasm in my post!

for me, the best 5 players i have seen (in person) in a sixers uniform have been:
Davis, Maher, Rose, Mee, Cat

Reply #88532 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Maher and Davis, daylight, others.

You can recognise talent in other players, but for a combination of club loyalty, talent, performance, and so on, those two are a level above.

Reply #88535 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Paul 'Big Sexy' Rees.

Reply #88536 | Report this post

Charlie  
Years ago

maher and davis are top. followed by al green. after that there is a distinct gap. naming bradke is a bit rich. we may as well name leaping leroy due to him playing at west adelaide!

Reply #88538 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

the ice man, maher , davis, dwayne nelson, ali, to many glorious players to play for us,

but i agree maher and davis light years ahead

but the shelf below hold some absalute stars on it

Reply #88539 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Maher, Davis then a lot of daylight.....
who said Dennard...what the?

Reply #88540 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

My top five is an obvious one

1. Maher
2. Davis
3. Mee
4. Green
5. Pearce

It's a hard question really, because Rose should be on the list because he was sensational as a Sixer, but he only played 2 seasons.

Bradtke should be in the list, but it's hard to ignore that his best years were not in a Sixers uniform, although he was very, very good his last 2 seasons with us.

Cat should be there, but I can't put him ahead of Green and Pearce.

Farley is a consideration, because few Sixers have ever had a season as good as his 2002 performance, but he hasn't played at that very high level since.

Smyth was on the downward slope of his career when he joined the Sixers. He played well and Dunlap underused him in 1994, but he can't make the Sixers Top 10 even. He would be the number 1 Cannon of all time, wouldn't he?

So many great players have worn a Sixers jersey over the years.

Reply #88542 | Report this post

Randy Watson  
Years ago

I think when he's finished Maher will be seen as the best 36er of all time.

The other 4 in the starting 5 are Pearce, Davis, Mee, Catalini.

Bench from Smyth, Rose, Jones, Green and Farley.

We wouldn't get many boards but we'd shoot the lights out!

Reply #88544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you've picked the chairman of the boards!

Reply #88546 | Report this post

the key  
Years ago

Reply #88549 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Kent, Brad Davis WAS THE GREATEST fullstop.....the only person able to shut him down was Phil.

Can some book brad onto the same holiday that Sixers33 went on???

Reply #88552 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

^ damn, should of been "someone"

Reply #88553 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

As much as I did really love Blakemore (he was my favourite player 12 years ago) I think Maher has now pipped Davis. Would this be his 12th season as captain? Has been consistently brilliant forever and has captained 3 championships.

However, will Maher ever get a head statue at the dome?

Reply #88554 | Report this post

brad  
Years ago

Tr has 2 much tym on his hands it seems, he is so board he bags all the time, im aloud my opinion mate so if need be,ill book you a hiliday so you can find some mates and something to do eith your time

Reply #88555 | Report this post

brad  
Years ago

Tr has 2 much tym on his hands it seems, he is so board he bags all the time, im aloud my opinion mate so if need be,ill book you a holliday so you can find some mates and something to do with your time

Reply #88556 | Report this post

Career Moves  
Years ago

Brad,

I would rather stick a fork in my eye than read your posts.
U hert mye hed.

Reply #88559 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

You make me laugh brad, you really do. I'll second Career Moves with the fork.

Reply #88564 | Report this post

darb  
Years ago

This might be a shorter list if only people who WOULDN'T rather experience the fork than read a post by Brad spoke up .. ;-)

Reply #88565 | Report this post

brad  
Years ago

so funny-why do you guys pick on me?seriously whats your problem,is it because you cant back up your words in reali life or what,sitting behind a computer and saying shit is easy.Back it up

Reply #88570 | Report this post

Kobe8  
Years ago

Brett Maher. Sure he thinks im a dwarf, and look like Anthony Callea, but captained 3 titles and a career played solo as a 36er, not to mention all the clutch shots that have killed opposition teams over the years. A pleasure to watch...and cop shit from ;)

Reply #88574 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Diddams brad, dry your eyes princess and toughen up. It's tongue in cheek stuff. If people really wanted to seriously 'pick on you' they'd be a lot harsher (refer to the SCHENSCHER thread).

Ever thought that people give you a so called hard time because you fire up with stupid responses and you open the door to be slayed.

What's to 'back up'??? Oh you should be careful about stating that people can't back up their words in real life. You just never know who your talking to, passing in the street or what people do in their professional life.

Reply #88575 | Report this post

brad  
Years ago

(Mod: Brad, please go away.)

Reply #88577 | Report this post

brad  
Years ago

(Mod: Brad, please go away.)

Reply #88578 | Report this post

ag  
Years ago

I'm late but...

WTF - Blakemore?

1. Maher
2. Davis
3. Mee
4. Green
5. Pearce

Reply #88579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

brad your a joke.

I'll take guys who can talk it up for $100 please Ken.

Reply #88581 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I really don't care what the Woodville Under 18's think brad, and you are greatly mistaken if you think I give a damn if you can fight.

What I find disturbing is that you seem to think it's good being a low level thug and challenging people to a fight (refer the SA winning thread).

Ok, believe that 10 fold thing if you wish. I'm not going to take you away from your fairy tales.

Reply #88582 | Report this post

TK  
Years ago

I would like to contribute and say that with regards to the original question that Phil Smyth has got to win hands down as NO OTHER 36er was considered the second (or was it third) BEST PG in the world at a time during his playing days.

Reply #88585 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

funny thing is brad re-typed his post twice to correct the spelling mistakes in the first one, only to spell the corrected paragraph even worse,

tym hiliday holliday

gold

Reply #88586 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

About that last chance on Brad, Isaac.....?

Reply #88588 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

TK, was that as a Sixer or a Cannon Phil was considered so highly ranked?

Brad, these posts have become a battle of wits and intellgence and it's clear you are unarmed.....

Reply #88589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This Brad stuff is gold! So funny to read, how one individual could and should be picked on so much. Brad's reactions are worse than Zidane's. The skin head anyday thing is priceless. Hey Zidane is a skin head...he also became a loser

Reply #88591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

rofl at brad

Reply #88592 | Report this post

SJB  
Years ago

Brad, you absolute clown.

As for the best 36er, you mentioned names like Ali, Green, Ninnis, Blakemore and Smyth. The only one that comes close is Green. Ali was a great role player and maybe just behind Mee as the 36ers' best defensive player of all-time, but certainly not the gratest Sixer. Smyth was one of the greats of Aus bball but he came to Adelaide at the age of 35, spent 2 years here, one of which he came off the bench. Ninnis was exciting but serviceable rather than great, having one standout season ('93), while Blakemore... jeez, what were you and your mates smoking?

For mine:
1. Maher
2. Davis
3. Mee
4. Green
5. Bradtke
6. Rose
7. Cattalini
8. Farley
9. Pearce
=10. Dan Clausen/Dave Winslow

Apologies KB, Rees, McKay, Hays.

Reply #88594 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

JoJo English, Willie Simmons, Paul Maley, Leon Trimmingham, Matt Garrison, David Stiff. All coached by Mike Dunlap

Reply #88596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SJB,
You obviously are someone on the money especially with your 1st comment about Brad!
I would change a couple of things:
Swap Davis with Maher as 1 and 2; Davis's 1st few years were so unbelievably dominant they had to be seen to be believed, but if Maher can keep up his current form for another 2 years I think their is reason to swap them back.
Put Bradkte from 5 to maybe 10 or lower; the only very good year he had was his last and his only standout game was his very last. Went on to become Australia's most dominant big man ever in the NBL ever but unfortunately wasn't with us!
Bump the Cat and Pearce up a couple and put Farley around 10 and I'm with you.
People forget McKays longevity (3rd all-time in games played maybe) and Olympic appearance which I think may scrape him in.
So, without sitting on the fence:
1) Davis
2) Maher (daylight next)
3) Mee
4) Green
5) Cattalini
6) Rose
7) Pearce
8) Jones (my personal favourite but an absolute winner nonetheless)
9) McKay
10)Farley

Honourable mentions: Bradkte, Brooks, Ali, Hays, Ninnis.

Reply #88597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brad Hill?

Reply #88604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maher now and always!

Given up alot over his career to be loyal and his talent with consistency being local lad (sure there are other locals that played for sixers) but he never got a tap on shoulder or chased other teams/dreams - one team our captain

Reply #88635 | Report this post

TK  
Years ago

Phizzer, Probably when he was a Cannon. These debates are going to always be heated.

Some saying were they played most of the time (club wise)

Some who evaluate the players when they were at their best at any given time

And some use the State of Origin and therefor exclude interstaters and imports.

As I am not from SA what would be your STARTING FIVE SA BORN PLAYERS.

Reply #88639 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Has everybody forgotten Ray Woods? I'm not saying #1 Sixer, but he was MEGA valuable. He defended, shot under pressure & distributed the ball to those that needed it. Complete, yet under-recognised player.

Reply #88649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maher, nuff said!

Reply #88653 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Maher
Smyth

easy

Reply #88656 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

SA born Sixers or just SA born TK?

If just SA born, then Phil Smyth would be in there. Michael Ahmatt, Werner Linde, Mark Bradkte and possibly Brett Maher? Darryl Pearce, Scott Ninnis, Mike McKay, I'm struggling to think of more SA born stars!

Since original post was best Sixer, have to go for loyalty, performance with club etc, Davis and Maher, then daylight. If question was best player to ever play for Sixers, different debate maybe? Possibly an import in that case.

Reply #88661 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Tony Ronaldson is from SA

Reply #88691 | Report this post

Fiji  
Years ago

Problem (with respect) to this post is the age of most of the respondents.

As an "oldie" who has been following from almost day one, as much as I think Maher is brilliant, Davis by a street.

As 88597 said, Davis really all through his career, but particularly in those early years was unbelievable.

Longevity, club loyalty, ability, and sheer dominance of his opponents makes him a shoe in.

Maher definately second, and well with respect to so many other good players who have come and gone, they are just not close to these 2.

Reply #88717 | Report this post

TK  
Years ago

Phizzer SA born who may or may not have played for the 36ers.

Reply #88720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maher or Davis without a doubt.

Reply #88752 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

For out and out talent R Brunson deserves a mention IMO

Reply #88769 | Report this post

HUH?  
Years ago

rick brunson was awesome,last time i checked he was on the toronto list,been to a few clubs though in the NBA

Reply #88924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HUH?

I thought that you liked Chris Blackmore? Or was that your alter-ego!

Reply #88979 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

What about SA-born Chicago Bull, Luke Schenscher??? He'd have to be high up there in the SA-born players, along with local stars like Maher and Smyth.

Reply #89031 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

Damn Kev you beat me to it, I was gonna say future stars such as 'Schenscher' and Newley.

Reply #89039 | Report this post

SJB  
Years ago

My top 10 SA-born players off the top of my head would be the following (and in this order):

1 - P. Smyth
2 - Dr W. Linde
3 - M. Bradtke
4 - B. Maher
5 - L. Schenscher
6 - A. Blicavs
7 - D. Pearce
8 - P. Rogers
9 - R. Hodges
10 - M. McKay

Technically, I should have Tony Ronaldson in there and I would probably have slipped him somewhere below Maher but ahead of Pearce, but he's pretty much considered a Victorian in virtually all basketball circles, having played his junior ball in Melbourne, and most of his senior career.

And besides, including Ronaldson on a technicality (he spent maybe the first 3-4 years of his life in SA) would also have meant dropping McKay out of the top 10, and in reality "Max" has done far more for SA basketball than "Bear", with all due respect.

Reply #89040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And Rogers has done what exactly for SA basketball?

Reply #89043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1. Craig Clatworthy
2. Ricky Noak
3. Mark Sykes

Pretty sure Micheal Ahmatt never played for the 6ers.
Very sure.
Micheal was brought down from the Northern Terrirory to play for South and I think he was born in the top end.

Reply #166357 | Report this post

WTF?  
Years ago

Mark Sykes, Craig Clatworthy and Ricky Noack - Get your hand off it, you could not be that delusional, surely?
Couldn't pick any more softer South players if you tried!............Mmmmmmmm, Hanz Raetz anyone?

Reply #166379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hanz Raetz. ha! You've been around a while.
No, I'm not that delusional. My hand was fully on it. Could anyone seriously think they were the best 6ers? Just trying humour for my first post.
Oh, and where can I find some more JL bagging in here. That stuff is gold.

Reply #166550 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:22 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754