DB5
Years ago

Boomers Squad For World Champ's.

Mark Worthington, CJ Bruton and D.Kickert have been added to the Boomer's squad of 12 that lost to NZ.

Australia Post Boomers squad:
Chris Anstey, David Barlow, Andrew Bogut, Aaron Bruce, CJ Bruton, Wade Helliwell, Russell Hinder, Luke Kendall, Daniel Kickert, Sam Mackinnon, Aleks Maric, Steve Markovic, Brad Newley, Jason Smith, Mark Worthington.

Does this help us more at the point people?
CJ is an obvious step up from what we started in the NZ series, however he stunk it up on the big stage in the Finals last season... Would D-Mac have been a better choice or even D-Mac and CJ?

Topic #8061 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I would drop Maric and Kendall and add Bruton and Kickert. Maybe drop Markovic for D-Mac as well.

I can appreciate the blooding of youth, but it's fair to ease that in rather than throwing in Maric, Kendall, Markovic, Bruce, Barlow and Newley all at once with Bogut who's young enough as it is.

Reply #90040 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

You may need to Take Anstey out of that group, according to his Website

That will be a big blow. We've been expecting to have Nielsen, Andersen, Anstey & Bogut leading us up front, and now we're basically just left with Bogut as our sole international level big.

Reply #90041 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Anstey's injury lends credence to the fact that Brian works his vetyerans too hard. I watched a story on the boomers in camp a couple of weeks ago on weekend tv. It surprised me how much fitness work they seemed to do. I would have thought if you pick the best players in Australia they are all professional and would be fit enough for an International campaign, learning sets, handling injuries and maintaining fitness would surely be the key areas. Why flog a Bogut, Smith or Anstey who have just had massive seasons.
I don't nknow about you but I would rather watch Maher, Cat, Rillie, Harvey at the worlds over Worthington, Barlow & Kendall.

Reply #90050 | Report this post

hurley509  
Years ago

Anstey, is all but out of the world championships campaign..... it just gets harder and harder!

Reply #90074 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Agree 100% Nutwork, you would think that after that NZ series, Boy Goorj would have worked out where we fell down... No pass first point guard, better perimeter defence, and better outside shooting, and addressed these needs!

D Mac, Mee (if naturalised already) insert option here, and Harvey( if healthy...) are options, I am sure you guys can think of others....
If only Phil had as many chances as the golden boy Goorj!
By the way, where has Kickert been playing? stats anyone?

Reply #90084 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Has just completed his stint at St Mary's College with some reasonably impressive stats

He's on the NBA radar, but is probably not quite ready yet. He's likely to be headed to Europe for the next few years I'd think.

Reply #90092 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Kickert, 6'10"/240lb forward. Averaged 16.6 and 6.6 (shooting 50%+) for Saint Mary's in 04/05.

Read somewere that he had scored the most points of any Australian at a US college.

2004-05: Garnered First Team All-West Coast Conference honors for the second straight year...was named the WCC Player of the Year by CollegeInsider...garnered First Team All-District 9 honors by the United States Basketball Writers Association...was an NABC District 14 Second Team selection...currently ranks fifth in the SMC record books in scoring with 1,390 points...became the eighth player in school history to score more than 500 points in a season...his 548 points this season ranks third in SMC's single season scoring...was named to the WCC All-Tournament Team after averaging 22.0 points and 4.5 rebounds against Santa Clara and Gonzaga...hit a career-high seven 3-pointers against Gonzaga in the WCC Championship game...was named the CollegeInsider Player of the Year in the WCC...

Reply #90093 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Thanks guys, appreciated...
Anyone seen him play, or footage?

And is Darnell naturalized yet?

Reply #90098 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Ive seen Kickert play . Quality guy.
I'd love to see him play a role on an NBA team one day . I think if he can keep his name in the mix over the next couple of years he could be a chance.
I'd rate him a better prospect than Newley by far.

Reply #90110 | Report this post

hurley509  
Years ago

Can the boomers succeed with Kickert in and Anstey gone tho?.... lets here your opinions.....

all i can say is Anstey didnt get alot of time on the court vs NZ (accept for the first game). I just hope the boomers can find a way though all this, I also hope anstey gets better b4 the worlds.

Reply #90112 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Better than Newley Skyhook?
Really? That is a good sign for the Boomers...
I think we may struggle without Anstey, is there any chance of Neilsen playing? Will BA pay the insurance this time instead of spending money on overpriced ex coaches...Dunlap?
Where is David Anderson?

Reply #90116 | Report this post

hurley509  
Years ago

Does anyone know how good Nate Jawai is? apparently hes been put in the squad for the worlds to cover anstey.

Reply #90123 | Report this post

I suckedAdick  
Years ago

I recoon alan iversons foreskin would score more than mark worthington and kickert!

Reply #131242 | Report this post

I got anal  
Years ago

I recon!

Reply #131243 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:33 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754