Skyhook
Years ago

Sean Marks or Anstey ?

NZ's first NBA import Sean Marks has been signed to a one year contract with the Phoenix Suns.
NBA.com
http://www.nba.com/news/312185.html

Its his 7th/8th season in the NBA . He's now 31 yrs old and has played for 4 teams.

How is it then that Anstey cant get an NBA contract ? Surely at 7'1 with range Anstey must get a call up.
Who's the better player ?

Topic #8077 | Report this topic

lockstock  
Years ago

Anstey has the game of a 3 man in the NBA and does not have near the talent nor athleticism to go with those players in the L. He doesn't have a good enough back to the basket game and arguably isn't tough enough to play against the big men either.

Reply #90233 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Speaking of Anstey, he has just been ruled out of the World Champs.

It was believed the medial strain was slight and would sideline him for about three weeks, but more knee damage has been revealed.

Reply #90240 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

I wonder with Anstey now out for the worlds will Basketball Australia now fork out the cash for Nielsen's insurance??

Reply #90244 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

BA are basically being held to ransom by Nielsen's club. I read a detailed post about the situation on the OzHoops boards - basically his club are demanding he be insured for far more than his contract value than his common for this scenario (maybe something to do with Goorjian's trainings!?) and they're also demanding that he be insured through a specific broker.

That makes me uneasy about the idea of us caving to those demands. Kickert might be a decent enough addition to offset his absence.

I'd wonder if it'd be worth throwing Schenscher in there late in the lead-up to offset the loss of Anstey and Anderson?

Reply #90246 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

I was under the impression that the Bulls have told Schenscher that he isnt to play in the worlds and hit the weights if he wants a chance at getting another contract - ala Anstey bulls days.

Reply #90251 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

That's what I heard DJ, and apparently that is what Luke was thinking also. I think with Bogut in there there is not much more needed at the 5 spot. The dude should be playing close to 40 mins a game and in some games 40 might not be enough.. Get Sav in to play the 4, and give Cat a go too!

Reply #90290 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

*although that may present some matchup problems as they are both arguably 3 men, but IMO have the rebounding ability to play the 4 with a big man like Bogut in the middle.

Reply #90291 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I agree lockstock, if we have Bogut in the middle, Cat and Saville should be good enough to pull down boards....

Reply #90313 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Dare I say Hinder did some good stuff in the Melbourne game - Surely at least one of Hinder, Helliwell, Crosswhite will be there if Anstey is out.

As far as Sav or Cat - I'd take Cat anyday, I just think he is more versatile more of a 3-4 man, where as Sav in my opinion is more of just a 3 man. Of course NBL level is a lot different to international.

Reply #90338 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Why is Cat not in the Australian line up? Ill tell ya why. Brian Goorijian. How can He still be coaching when he takes us to ninth in athens and a loss against New Zealand. Phil Smyth takes the youngest Australian team to New Zealand and loses and gets kicked out of the coaching staff. Now there is no Cat or maher and yet we have Anstey, Bogut and Schenscher and yet we still can't beat New Zealand.

Reply #91606 | Report this post

Years ago

I'm suprised Anstey was ever in the NBA to be honest. To be drafted as high as he was as well was phenominal. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he wasn't even a starter for the SE Melbourne Magic at the time (1996 season). I think they had John Dorge starting in the middle. If Anstey had the skills he has now and was 21 years old, then we'd be talking NBA potential. But as he is now, I think he's missed his shot.

I really fail to see how Australia can do so badly with the talent we have and three legit 7-foot centres as well. But that's another story entirely...

Reply #91856 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:45 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754