DJ
Years ago

Uses for the Dome

Came across this on Google Video - Korfball - 1999 Adelaide, World Championships

Didnt actually know this had been held at the Dome, got me thinking what other things has the Dome been used for? I seem to recall a dance of some sort back in 1999 or 2000 that did a good old job on the floor.

Topic #8137 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Apparently there was some sort of gymnastic thing there a while back. You can still see a beam from the trapeze in the rafters unless someone completely made that story up to humour me!

Reply #90824 | Report this post

roadrunner  
Years ago

I have seen a circus there, and I saw the Australian Volleyball team play a match there.

Reply #90825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wheelchair basketball championships

Reply #90828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Russian Olympic gymnastics team used the then Powerhouse as their training base in the lead up to the Sydney 2000 Olympics.
And yes Isaac, I believe the beam thing to be a unrelated and therefore a bullshit story.

Reply #90829 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

In the States most of the courts are joint use with ice hockey. The court is laid on the ice rink. As the Snow Dome is in decline it could work.

Reply #90832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and those courts are built with that in mind, the dome isn't

Reply #90833 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

State roller skating championships (dance and figure) have been held there.

Also several church functions (i think Greek Orthodox churches have used it regularly)

Reply #90834 | Report this post

fess  
Years ago

sesame street live was held their about 2 years ago coz it was double booked at the ent centre

Reply #90840 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

The Dome could be, and is being used as a retirement village

Reply #90841 | Report this post

AussieMj  
Years ago

Funnee!!! Lol Good 1 MW.The camp over in Pt Lincoln is not only a money spinner for the 6ers but also giving the old timers plenty of fish oil for their aching joints?

Reply #90843 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I reckon it would make a good venue for Wrestling.
A lot closer up to the action than you would get at the ent cent.

Reply #90844 | Report this post

Sixers33  
Years ago

i saw this and posted it many months ago

Reply #90848 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Skip - would be perfect for wrestling, although entrance ramp would have to be quite small, but good for the crowd - Looking forward to Saturday at RodLaverArena ;-)

Reply #90850 | Report this post

eatshit  
Years ago

massive LAN parties

Reply #90854 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

NERDS!

Reply #90871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From memory the beam is there from when the Russian Circus was here. The scoreboard was going to be in the way of the hirewire/trapeze so they actually had it moved up there whilst the circus was on.

Reply #90872 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

I have seen the Dome used as a place of worship.

Many times I have seen coaches there praying for a call......

Reply #90873 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

well done sixers33...

Reply #90878 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

Nice Korfball video DJ,first time ive seen the seats between the players race tucked away.

I can recall seeing a poster for a Tom Jones concert at the clipsal powerhouse,not sure if it went ahead though?!

Reply #90888 | Report this post

The Awnser  
Years ago

why not use it for raves? Massive parties such as enchanted!

Reply #90918 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Lease it to Steve Irwin and he can use it to bred rats for his snakes.

Reply #90921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"why not use it for raves? Massive parties such as enchanted!"

Um ... how about NO, Brad.

Reply #90938 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think it's a good idea if you can protect the court.

Reply #90939 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Most teams are playing out of Entertainment centres or multi-purpose venues where the court isnt a perminent fixture (Tigers and Razorbacks probably the only other 2 playing on permanent courts).

Is the Dome floor re-moveable? I wouldnt think so, but would it take that much to modify it so that it was? Maybe something for Mr BrisVegas to ponder.

Reply #90946 | Report this post

eatshit  
Years ago

tennis? and then LAN parties.......

Reply #90977 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

LAN parties could be huge at the Dome. Some of you might laugh, but professional gaming is on the up - a Halo clan got a US$1m contract recently, another guy is getting $250k, there are broadcasts dedicated to live games. I'd rather watch a professional team playing a FPS than sit through some of the crud on TV these days.

Pet shows, computer fairs, gem shows, fashion shows, mock sea battles.

But restrictions may still stop things like this. Rats! ;)

Reply #90980 | Report this post

eatshit  
Years ago

good work Isaac - i was actually attempting to be serious. The LAN parties held locally over the last few years - especially at the Rubikon? room @ the entertainment centre have been quote "awesome". Sure its a little Nerdy, but with a setup of plasma screens, and team allotments, and plenty of fibre optic - it'd be sweet.

ps. Mock sea battles - in the style of "Its a Knockout - with Mike Whitney" pure gold.

Reply #90986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flower Shows!

No, wait, that's what they have Pt Adelaide for.

Reply #90988 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

eatshit - nerds still have money... put on some large-scale LAN parties with consoles and projectors and it'd be an easy way to book the place out a few extra days per year - run an all-nighter now and then even.

Funny you should mention It's a Knockout -- I have this grand vision of creating a business venture (or a chain) that sees people getting together on Friday nights, paying $10 (cheaper than ten pin bowling?) and running around like bastards in It's a Knockout or BB Friday Night Live-style games. Crazy competitions, tournaments, etc. Like skirmish, but more ridiculous. More frog suits, more detergent (bet someone quotes Red Dwarf in response to this...).

Reply #90989 | Report this post

Kryten  
Years ago

" Oh, screw down my diodes and call me Frank! "

Reply #90999 | Report this post

eatshit  
Years ago

Isaac, perhaps teams from abl?, for off season antics? 6-8 guys per team, a quick 4-6 week competition - post season. round robin, events such as dodgeball, gauntlet, All Over. Lots of padding, and floor mats, BBQ afterwards........
perhaps its just an insurance nightmare.

Reply #91000 | Report this post

South Rd Sucks  
Years ago

Why would you want a BBQ after when you eatshit?

Reply #91002 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Kryten, I was thinking of:

Caligula: Very well. Rasputin, bring in the bucket of soapy frogs and remove his trousers.

Reply #91013 | Report this post

Fred  
Years ago

the beam was there for lighting etc for Tom Jones concert when dome fist opened,now thats factual

Reply #91025 | Report this post

cHicKa  
Years ago

Mayb we could lyk throw a MAS partai there or sumthink. Whoz up for sum partAI lurVeing

Reply #91079 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

Isaac - come on - IP ban on chicka!!!

Reply #91080 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:13 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754