the scribbler
Years ago

Funny My ABL Womens All Star Five

Okay, so someone had to do it.

Here's my all star five team for the Womens 2006 ABL season.

Vicki Kelson (South)

Adelaide's Queen of ABL has had another solid season, whilst injury has prevented the heady statistics of previous years she has provided a depleted South side with leadership and panache. Stats wise she is averaging just 12.2 PPG, she averages 9.4 RPG  the best rebounding guard in the comp. Stats do not detect on court presence, something this feisty lady epitomizes. Her leading games this year were against superior teams boasting competent guards: Flames, Eagles and Bearcats.

Narelle Lindsay (Forestville)

Lindsay is the wily old veteran of the Eagles, her time on the pine more than often reaching 40 minutes. Offensively she is problematic  the ability to drive through, around and elude defenders is the bane of many a defender. She has steered her team to finals averaging 15 PPG. Whilst her field day was undoubtedly a 23 point 5 board 6 assist drubbing of the Lions, she has also come up trumps against the more stacked Sabres and more recently posted over 20 points against the defensively orientated Rockets. Her quieter games are usually losses or close wins for the Eagles, so its fair to say she is the barometer of the team, that is  she performs and they win.

Sam Woosnam (West)

Lightning Captain is arguably the best all rounder on the floor. Her best games have been against the top four sides: Sabres, Tigers, Rockets and Eagles, where she has not only scored proficiently but added steals, assists and rebounds to the equation. One of those players that can do it all  guard her too close and she drives, leave your hands down and she shoots, relax on the shot and she will board it. Been patchy only if court time is diminished, and her high turnover rate is also notable, but these are the mark of a player who perhaps is a step ahead of her teammates and sees opportunities that may be beyond them. Or she could just be sloppy. Either way, she has been best in the West.

Jenine Brown (South)

The leagues leading scorer, she has posted double doubles consistently and had an exceptional season. However, despite Kelson feeding her the ball, this formidable combination have been unable to lead South into finals contention. Whilst offensively she was powerful, South's reliance on zone defence in big games prevented her from showcasing defensive nous. Whilst she will go close to taking out the Halls, I think the Panthers erratic season, their inability to find a consistent path to victory, and competing indirectly with Kelson may cost her votes.

Tracey Beatty (Southern)

Beatty has struggled with finding her true game for a long time, but 2006 has seen a maturity develop that in previous years was left wanting. She has become a mother hen in more ways than one this year, taking Southern under her wing and propelling them into the finals. A pure keyway body she creates problems for teams with her presence  her go-go gadget arms regularly collecting blocks and any rebound that falls in her direction. Averaging 16.2ppg and 11.6 RPG, she has boasted double doubles in 14 games this season. Instrumental in tight games against Flames and Rockets, she most recently got Southern over the line in a nail biter against West. Finally comfortable in her own skin, she is my pick for the Halls.

Honorable mentions

Amanda Williams
Is the shining light in a team that is oh so grey.

Erin Lorenzini
Average skills, but this girl is infected with major white line fever. Is extremely efficient and lifts the level of the game by notches, but lacked enough court time to post big numbers.

Nat Hurst
Norwood would not be unhappy with this import- whilst it took a few games to find her mojo, she then posted solid numbers. Provided Norwood with much needed spark.

Not considered due to lack of games: Jenni Screen, Jo Hill

Topic #8141 | Report this topic

Blue Collar  
Years ago

Not a Bowley in sight... you'd better go back to the drawing board scribbler!!!

Reply #90908 | Report this post

anomymous  
Years ago

What about the ever reliable Jodie Barratt - always up there with the best year after year

Reply #90950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Barret is from woodville - why choose her!!!!

Reply #90953 | Report this post

The Early Bird  
Years ago

No Bowleys or Sturt players in general. Think its time to throw away that grudge.

Kelson = Tick
Lindsay = Tick
Woosnam = Tick
Brown = No Comment (throw a coin between these names) M. Bowley
Beaty = Cross H. Bowley

Reply #90959 | Report this post

the scribbler  
Years ago

I didn't mention any Sturt players, by virtue of the fact that it would be bias. And I didn't include any Bowleys because, well, we secretly all think we're better than one another anyway, and we fight enough as it is.

Reply #90985 | Report this post

vanilla Ice  
Years ago

That would explain why the statment

"South's reliance on zone defence in big games prevented her from showcasing defensive nous."

came into play, I am sure after watching the south women for a season they really only played zone against sturt (very little against west and southern) to try to take away the inside advantage of the sabres. however when the sabers started knockin 3's it really didnt matter did it...

Reply #91019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

beaty has been the best centre in the comp by a mile.. Not saying that the bowleys aren't excellent players but tracey really has had a great year.

Reply #91040 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

Would love to have a Bowley or 20 playing in my team but statistically:

Player HSA PPG RPG Asst B/s
Beatty 34.6 14.9 11.0 1.3 2.6
HBowley 25.4 11.7 07.9 1.6 0.5
MBowley 31.4 13.4 11.8 1.3 0.9
BBowley 25.8 11.9 07.3 1.9 1.1
-----------------------------------
Player FG% FT% T/0'S Asst
Beatty 53.7 47.9 02.4 02.8
HBowley 45.3 67.7 02.8 02.6
MBowley 39.5 70.0 02.0 03.0
BBowley 39.7 64.5 02.3 03.1

STATS NOT AFFECTING THE OUTCOME OF THIS POST HAVE BEEN EDITED FOR BREVITY.

Reply #91135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has Vickie kelson won any ABL Titles?

Reply #91212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

beats rocks, graffie has done great things for her. wait till next wnbl season. beats will kill it even more

Reply #91223 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

as far as i know kelson hasnt won any titles. im sure she would trade any of her individual awards for a championship. what an outstanding player she has been, and from what ive heard a great girl too. another great season, although she would be the first to admit that her shooting has let her down, but to her credit has once again topped the lead in steals and has a massive average in total rebounds. this girl can do it all.

Reply #92148 | Report this post

agreed  
Years ago

nice 1 on kelson. i too agree. what a star. wont take out her 5th halls medal, but definately in my all star 5 team.

Reply #92149 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

Reply #92152 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:04 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754