flames_87
Years ago

umpire in charge at marion 25/8/06

that man was NOT what the game needs. i dont know his name, but in the game i played in, Under 20's, div 2, he was an absolute joke. the junior refs were doing better than that bloke. how on earth are the junior refs meant to take that man seriously when giving them instructions, when they would feel they are doing a better job than him!? i dont think he actually realised it was a Under 20's game - he started off calling some of the weakest, softest fouls i have ever seen in 13 years of basketball - under 20's - men - grown men - they can take a little slap, bump, in fact, most of his calls, there was no contact. as the game progressed, he then opted to make 'no-calls' until the final siren. way to be consistent mate...not, and way to make the players enjoy the game...not, and way to make the supporters enjoy the game...not. thats just what the sport needs. i am well aware all umpires make mistakes - he was an experienced umpire, the umpire in charge, and yes, its understandable if he was to make 2 or 3 or 4 bad calls, or no-calls during a game, but not 30 or 40 or 50 like what was the case in tonights game. all players were getting amazingly frustrated with the lack of consistency from him, fortunately, they didnt start taking thier frustration out on the opposition. surely the umpire in charge at each venue should be of high quality! and who knows, maybe this guy just had a shocking night, but boy, it was almost beyond a joke how poor he was.

Topic #8386 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

HAHAHA... you claim U20s are grown men yet you come on here, THE INTERNET, crying your little heart out that you got screwed over by the reffing.

"they can take a little slap, bump"
No, no you can't. One week people come on here and bitch and whinge that ref's aren't abiding by the rulebook and calling contact a foul, next thing you know we get people complaining that the game is too soft.

Move on champ, you're game is over with.

Also just checked sportingpulse and it's actually Div 3 U20s not Div 2.

Reply #93611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cry baby!

Reply #93612 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

ref bashing again, just remember with out them u cant have the game,

also refs as a whole for any sport from grassroots to senior ranks are down by 27% according to ausports , and in many cases sports are at a critical level and in sevre cases causing games to be cancelled and seasons ended,

when surveyed the refs that had quit or retired came back with a stagering result, 78% left because of personal attacks, abuse towards them and physical threats.

if you want to look this up for your self request a copy of the information from ausports.gov.au,

so grow up or u too might find your team without a ref and therefore without a game

Reply #93622 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

oh and before someone suggest it NO im not a basketball ref

Reply #93623 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Wow, who would have guessed this would be yet another ref bashing thread....

It's about time the players. coaches and spectators offered constructive criticism, and gee, maybe even praise for our refs, instead of the bleating, bitching and outright damnation that comes from this site.

As thomo pointed out, refs are an endangered species, and we have even seen players bitching because they got reffed by a solo, or had a game called off due to lack of refs.

Yet matters arent helped by issues such as the Mid Nortth Football League, who last weekend an UNDER 12 (!!!) player allegedly punched an umpire, was charged with making contact and got 3 weeks. In fact there were 3 players from the same team who got suspended for various things out of that game

What image are we portraying to out younger players when we make refs fair targets?? Even Bogut made a comment this week about one of the Boomers games "at times it felt like we were playing 5 on 8". Enough is enough!

Reply #93625 | Report this post

Misty  
Years ago

Mike Gibson is the UIC out at Marion and is an outstanding referee. If he called the game soft it was probably what was needed, to keep it under control.
I'm probably correct in assuming you were either on the losing side or you were fouled out. Words of wisdom junior: Suck it up, life goes on and if you don't like it, don't play.
Also, let 24 hours pass after the game in question before posting.

Reply #93627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty rich coming from you Misty!

Reply #93631 | Report this post

ZZZZZZZZZ  
Years ago

yeah saying that the game doesn't need someone like him. Calling weak, soft calls.

Ok then i suppose the Div 2 mens game he did Tuesday nite (South V North) was out of his league then then.

Good thread mate.

Keep up the good work Mike.

Flames 87 next time your out at marion give Marion a call and c if u can ref a game and us all how to ref.

Reply #93637 | Report this post

nutter  
Years ago

Here ya go Yogee,
last night i played in an 18 2's game at westminster, the refs were great, despite the bitching from players from both teams they continued to ref consistantly and well! But the thing i liked the most was the fact that if a player genuinly questioned a call the refs would explain exactly why the call wasn't made.
Thanks guys for a great game (despite the result)

Reply #93642 | Report this post

nfl  
Years ago

Haha, 30, 40 or even 50 bad calls, i guess thats why you were down 21 - 2 at quarter time.

Reply #93643 | Report this post

Elbows  
Years ago

This whole referee thing has gone too far. As Thomo pointed out, a large no. of refs are quitting because of abusive players and or spectators. NO REF EQUALS NO GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!! So if you beleive you have a legitimate issue with a ref, make a complaint to the bloke in charge of the refs (Isaac knows his name), and stop attacking the refs on game night when everybodies emotions are out of control.

Reply #93656 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

i know its a dif sport but i train refs in indoor cricket, and to give you and idea new refs are down by 70% and i tell you it not because of the money i think we are one of the better renumerated sports in regards to refs,

its down purely because of abuse and not wanting to put up with the constant bitching and moaning from players and parents

Reply #93680 | Report this post

BC  
Years ago

Elbows read the bylaws and you'll find your wrong. No ref's equal coaches do it in juniors.

Reply #93705 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

"called all the soft slap stuff early, then made no calls for the rest of the game"

If this is the case, great game Mike. Dictacted the way the game was going to be played, and obviously the players adjusted, therefore you were not required to intervene in the game later on.

Flames - I guess you came on here to give the UIC a serve, but all you have really done is written him a great critique.

Reply #93777 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:35 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754