Ayatollah
Years ago

Church Ball 06

Any one know how things ended up in A Grade Church?

Topic #8500 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spicer Uniting are, and always will be, the greatest church team of all time :)

Reply #94887 | Report this post

Steve B  
Years ago

How strong is the league - it used to be pretty good 5 years ago

Reply #94893 | Report this post

Ayatollah  
Years ago

What ever happened to Spicer?

I play in a lower league - it is not bad for an amatuer basketball competetion - needs more teams though

Reply #94895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Church of Christ is a better comp.

Reply #94896 | Report this post

Ayatollah  
Years ago

What is Church of Christ - who plays there?

Reply #94897 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

HA.. Church of Christ is shocking. Used to be good, but I would be surprised if it was still going next season. I believe they're having a meeting to discuss just that.

Reply #94900 | Report this post

Ayatollah  
Years ago

I'm guessing that is a different League from SA Church basketball?

By the looks of the ladders in Church league halfway through the year, it looked like there are only 3 good teams in the A grade

Reply #94903 | Report this post

Matt W  
Years ago

yeah the A grade isnt too bad, i play for modbury, we went undefeated thru C grade and sit mid pack in a/b grade now...

isnt anything special

Reply #94904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Finals start this week don't they? Do they split your grade? did you make A or B grade?

Which teams are good?

Reply #94905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the only good teams this year were Hope Valley , Price Alfred and Beaumont - the rest were also rans

Reply #94922 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Spicer went downhill as soon as Slambour stopped playing for them!!

Reply #94924 | Report this post

njh  
Years ago

Finished with a championship with my brother in about 2000/2001 i think it was.

Dont think there has been a Mens team since.

Reply #94928 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

See that game billo? Damn Slambour killed us in the GF. They came from 4th to win the thing. We were so surprised we beat Rehn and Co, thought we had it.

In fact, it was a guy on our team who got Nick out the North U20's tryouts and the rest, they say, is history....

Reply #94931 | Report this post

njh  
Years ago

You played Phizzer?

Those were the days, good old Saturday afternoon Church ball :)

Reply #94934 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

I miss it so much..... Started at the Dome, played at Mars, season at Pasadena, that was 1999-2003.

Reply #94935 | Report this post

njh  
Years ago

I'll never forget when they got Ninnis one year, and Maher another year... to come to our church and hand out trophies on awards night.

Still got the photos :)

Id say Ninnis was probably that last big NBL name that came from Church ball.

Reply #94936 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Watching Matt Howarth throw alley-oop passes to Gary Gliddon in their hey day, wish I had photos.....

Reply #94937 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Last big name produced being Ninnis? Fair comment. Scott was a Marion Church of Christ/Norwood Salvation Army player who certainly did go on to bigger and better things. There haven't been any of his ilk of late, unless you count star referee Phil Haines who began plying his trade in the SA Church Saturday arvo competition (and he was a fair damn player to boot!).

The Salvation Army comp is still going strong on Monday nights at the Dome and is a good comp. The SA Church comp is still doing well on Saturday arvos whilst my mail is that the SA Church of Christ comp is still OK but has been struggling for numbers in recent years.

Reply #94940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

where can i find the ladders for church ball ? any one know?

Reply #94944 | Report this post

onlooker  
Years ago

The Church competition should be scrapped and merged with all other basketball comps around the state. Come on people,let sget serious about our sport and stop diluting it!

No one wants to get tech'ed for saying Jesus do they?

Reply #94953 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

Hi, I have seen Church ball mentioned on here a few time before and was woundering how it all works? Is it an alla ages in one team comp where you enter ppl from ur church? are trainings or selections held? is it very competetive etc.????

Reply #94957 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Phizzer, I think I might have seen that game, sounds like a game I would have watched!!

I remember back in 98 my mighty Aldgate Baptist knocked off the 3 pronged Hambour attack in the Eastern div 1 final, over the next few season the Slambour, Sheep, Bananas Bentick 1,2,3 punch was too much to handle though!!

Reply #94963 | Report this post

Graeme LeBroy  
Years ago

Ah Slambour and the Spicer crew, pity we couldn't beat them Phizzer. I know the win against Somerton was ace and unexpectant, but we should have had that GF. Slambour was NOTHING and I got one of the best cheap shots in ever (even though it wasn't really in the spirit of Church Basketball) as shown by his video taped footage of the match.
You sunk my battleship Phizzer!

Reply #94970 | Report this post

njh  
Years ago

haha nice one billo... you have a good memory!

As for "Graeme LeBroy".... i think i know who you are and dont i play with you now? haha

Reply #94973 | Report this post

Gazolio  
Years ago

Phizzer,

Is that you Si?
Saying sweet things about me and Howie....how nice! :)
Wish I had photos to....no more than a distant memory now!!

Reply #94974 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Awe, this is like a big happy reunion. Let's all have a group hug.

And Graeme, you sunk MY battleship.

Reply #94995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The ladder in A Grade ended up Hope Valley top, PAC A 2nd, Beamount A 3rd, PAC B 4th, Saints A 5th, Saints B 6th, Modbury A 7th, Clovercrest 8th

It is divided into A and B final so Hope Valley and PAC A play to go thru to the final - Beaumont A and PAC B to gothru against the loser of Hope Valley and PAC A.

Beaumont will win - PAC A and Hope Valley are pretty close but those Hope Valley kids can shot like nothing else but I think PAC A will win.

Reply #94996 | Report this post

Graeme LeBroy  
Years ago

Ah yes Phizzer! I agree, I can feel the Clovie love on the forum. Those were the days tho, throwing lobs, cashing shots, and never too fussed if we won or not until the playoffs.

Did the cheapshot give away the identitiy NJH? And yes you did answer it correctly... YOU are playing with ME ;-)

And whoever said that Church Ball should be scrapped, obviously never played it at the level that we did Phizzer, Gazolio, Moses and NJH!

Reply #95113 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Good times, good times. I can't believe you guys aren't still playing. Don't blame it on your age though - blame it on the boogie.

Reply #95125 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

I can't believe you're not still playing Moses, you gave us all sorts of trouble at Mars.

Gazolio, great seeing you on here mate.

NJH, I remember you before you became your alter-ego, Slambour.

And Graeme, looking after my car?

Reply #95153 | Report this post

Graeme LeBroy  
Years ago

Yes Phizzer the car is being looked after the best I can. Running a lot better and faster than myself that is for sure!
We might have to hook up the old squad back together when we are all back together, might have to be in an over 35s league by then though. I might lay off the referees by that age ;-)

You sunk my battleship! and dont forget to make the noise!

Reply #95199 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Yo ball!

I'm back in Adelaide on Dec 2, got a game then?

Reply #95206 | Report this post

Graeme LeBroy  
Years ago

Hope so! Billy is going to start a summer team up as we have had this winter off.
Then there will be plenty of sunk battleships, Yo Balls, and Hightops!

Reply #95209 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

I'm only back for a week, not a season. Is there a game on Dec 2?

Reply #95212 | Report this post

Graeme LeBroy  
Years ago

No idea mate, should have a game then. Hit me up when you are keen for a run. Maybe all the old dogs would be keen for a trot on the hardwood.

Reply #95252 | Report this post

Tomdogga  
Years ago

Watch out for Bretto's Team this year
whatever league they're in they'll dominate with their J-Will inspired passing skills

Reply #95318 | Report this post

Tomdogga  
Years ago

JROBBA

Reply #95319 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:36 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754