Joe M
Years ago

Welcome back - Sixers basketball

Firstly let me just say that it's bloody good to be back and it's also good to have the Sixers back (and not going anywhere) on the court and ready for a new season of NBL basketball.

The new squad of players recruited to the program looks like they have quite a large amount of talent between them, Nick Horvath will be a huge factor in the paint as well as the freedom that Smith will give him. Brad Hill should take an enormous stride this year and possible be the 6th man of the year. Willy and Brett will just take over when they please.

Round 1 tip's for the Adelaide 36ers tips of in just under 10 days and the Sixer start there 2006/2007 journey on the road to the newly acquired franchise the Singapore slingers before coming home via a second away game in Wollongong. The Sixers first home date is with everyone second team the Sydney kings.

My tip for the season  4th place before making the grand final

League MVP - CJ Burton (Brisbane Bullets)

ROTY  Justin Brown (Perth Wildcats)

Coach of the year  Mark Price

Grand Final  Brisbane Bullets Vs Adelaide 36ers

I hope everyone has there sixers season tickets and is PUMPED for a new season of Sixers basketball.

PS  Skip and the navy seals  I love the episode 1 of sealed that you have placed on 'You tube it'. Last year I was very critical of the navy seals as I did not believe that you were a good representation of the club or the game it self but after seeing that, it is quite evident that all of you guys have an enormous amount of passion for the game and the club so that is a bloody good thing, so keep up the good work.

Joe M.

Topic #8554 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

Good to have you on side Joe :-)

I agree, cant wait for the season to start.
My picks would be
MVP - Anstey
ROTY - Not sure, Brown has had quite some hype tho
Coach - Lemanis
Grand Final - Sixers V Tigers
Spooners - Pigs

Here's to Big Crowds, Big Wins and a HUGE year.

Reply #95633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ROTY will easily be Ingles, easily!

Reply #95645 | Report this post

Farley Boys Rep  
Years ago

Should be a great year for the sixers. Deffinately a different looking side to what we may have seen in previous years with a lot more height. should give us some great versatility both under the bucket and around the perimeter. Hopefully can bring some massive crowds to the Dome and get the foundations rocking. I can give you the hot tip that Myself along with the other 5 Farley boys will be in the stands showing our support as we did all last year. Got a big Challenge lined up for the Navy seals which shall be anounced At our first home game. My tip is sixers to make top 3. This is quite possibly the year for us i believe!

Reply #95649 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

A challenge you say?

Hope you know who you are dealing with :-)

Cant wait!

Reply #95650 | Report this post

box me out  
Years ago

just a stab in the dark

ROTY: Ingles
Coach: Lemanis
MVP: Saville Or The cat
Grand Final: Brisbane V Melbourne
Spooners: Would have to be the Pigs

Reply #95710 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ingles
Joyce
Groves
Melbourne vs Brisbane
Pigs or Slingers

Reply #95713 | Report this post

I am curious to know why you would rate Joyce for Coach of the Year?
I guess it depends if he stays in the game long enough???

I think Gorg is a chance this year.

I agree Ingles is a big chance

Melbourne v Sydney
Pigs for the spoon

Reply #95718 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

My thinking is as follows: I reckon Wright and Westover are stacked to the point where anything less than top two for either is failure. Goorj has a load of Boomers and I reckon the Kings will be 4-5th. Smyth has done well (Copes, Horvath, AJ) but I think the 36ers will finish too middle-of-the-pack.

I'm a bit of a pessimist, but I wonder if Lemanis will struggle to get the Breakers above sixth. Woco and McLeod are going to be bottom of the table. Fisher isn't known as much of a coach and I don't think the Cats will finish above 5th.

Who's left? Unsure about the Crocs. I reckon the Taipans are stacked again, so I don't think Black necessarily deserves it. And that leaves Joyce - looks like a good honest roster with minimal tinkering. Not all rave about BJ's coaching, but if he can make a good run with that roster, I would support COTY going his way.

Maybe they should allow teams to spend over the cap, but rosters over the cap render their coach ineligible and players over the $175k max can't win MVP - I'd support that!

Reply #95721 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

MVP - Horvath
ROY - Ingles
GF - Melbourne v Sydney
Coach - Smyth
Spoon - Pigs
Scoring Champ - Groves

Reply #95735 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

Mark Price will probably win COY despite his team just scraping into the 8. That, or Joey Wright will get it for actually getting his team to perform to potential for once.

Reply #95739 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

MVP: Horvath
ROTY: Ingles (Can't believe we missed out on him)
Spoon: Pigs or maybe Slingers
Coach: Westover of Lemanis
GF: Sixers v Tigers
Champs: Sixers

Thanks for the encouragement Joe, much appreciated. We are also setting up a blog, which will have pics, our take on anything NBL, Sixers + updates on what is happening.

Seal'd Section Blog

Reply #95759 | Report this post

box me out  
Years ago

i don't mean to be a silly goose, but can someone link me as to why we missed out on Ingles..?
I say link because i assume this topic has been said many times. Even better just a short explanation.

was it smyth again? Cheers.

Reply #95870 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bit of a mixture. He was looking at the Crocs and training up in Townsville but ended up at South - common element there is obviously Scott Ninnis, so I think you can assume that the two get along and that Ingles would trust Ninnis.

I think nearly every team (?) put an offer to him, and he ranked the 36ers offer at the bottom or close to it. I don't think that was ever stated officially, but my source was reliable on that.

I don't believe he was offered a spot in the 10-man rotation or better (rather, a place in a 13-man squad), nor was the offer (from what I heard) at all competitive in a financial sense.

You can assume that other clubs made better offers financially and in terms of playing time and so on.

At some point, the club were under the impression that a verbal agreement was made between themselves and Ingles, but one version of events suggested to me that it was a misunderstanding. Giving the club benefit of the doubt, you'd say that Ingles reneged once he realised there were clubs out there who had more faith in his ability, more relaxed funding and more opportunities on their roster.

Reply #95873 | Report this post

box me out  
Years ago

Fantastic, thanks Isaac.

Reply #95881 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:30 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754