Isaac
Years ago

Funny Just in: Ch 9 to show one NBL game per week

The NBL are expected to make an announcement today.

One game a week will be shown on free-to-air television on Channel Nine, starting October 15. It will be part of a highlights show, rather than a full game.

11:30AM Sunday will be the time slot it seems, and the first game will be Dragons vs Hawks.

The show will be hosted by Stephanie Brantz, formerly a sports host from SBS.

A quick Google shows that Brantz is also a Sydney model.

There's more about the Ch 9 deal here.

Many will remember the days of basketball on TV on weekend mornings as the height of hoops popularity in Australia - basketball cards, clothing, etc. Here's hope that this show is the start of something.

Topic #8835 | Report this topic

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

(Mod: Had already linked the article above just before you posted this. Where possible, instead of pasting the full article, provide a key quote or snippet and then paste the link for more info - avoids any copyright issues.)

Reply #99419 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I can see one reason to tune in and it ain't basketball......

Reply #99423 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Finally the basketball has come back to FTA, DJ can you smell what Eddy is cooking?

Reply #99424 | Report this post

Bob Knight  
Years ago

Awesome, bring back Dennis Committee

Reply #99425 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Sweet. Very good news...

Reply #99426 | Report this post

John Lawrence  
Years ago

Finally. A TV station saw the light. Great news for the NBL.

Reply #99429 | Report this post

Brilliant!

Reply #99430 | Report this post

box me out  
Years ago

Finally a step forward in Australian Basketball!

Reply #99433 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

That's big news! Hopefully it is a success.

Reply #99434 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

now it's just up to us to watch the show I guess and prove to channel 9 that they made the right decision. Hopefully higher rating will equal more coverage in the future

Reply #99436 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

another thought.. Isaac, any ideas to advertise the program on your site?

Reply #99438 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

Great! I cannot wait to see Sydney play Melb, Sydney play Bris, Sydney play Perth-- get my drift. Let's hope it provides a good spread

Reply #99443 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

Hangin Round...best not to complain too much in the early going about game selection. It's on free to air TV. That's a good thing.

Reply #99450 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Halleluia, GO CHANNEL 9, thank you, ive been waiting for FTA NBL for ages, ill be happy with what ever they show, but i hope they do mix up what teams they show, and we see some 36ers games!!

Reply #99451 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

lockstock - yes, a representative of the NBL posted on OzHoops saying exactly that - it is critical that everyone encourages their friends and family to watch the show - good audience figures for this and for the Fox games are crucial for future support.

Reply #99461 | Report this post

Mufflover  
Years ago

The hope for me is that now nine has lost the football that we'll see a commitment even more to Basketball going into next year if this is successful and see some live games saturday nights or even sunday afternoons. (ie whenever they are scheduled on the weekend).

Reply #99462 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I dont suppose that little NineMSN Poll from a couple of weeks back had any influence? What was it in the end? 85% NBL 15% A-League?

Could it have been an hour of Soccer every Sunday if that poll was reversed?

Reply #99465 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

If I can be blunt - Foxtel has the rights to the Australian Domestic Cricket Season (ie SA v NSW)...is this a filler on Saturdays because they don't have any Summer sports contracts anymore? Do Ch9 still have domesric cricket rights or are they exclusively Fox?

Even if it is I'm not complaining and hope that it turns into something big.

Reply #99468 | Report this post

Years ago

Hope it's good ... and TR has a point LOL

Reply #99472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

exclusively fox, hence fox3 was formed to show the entire a-league and cricket seasons

Reply #99474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great news... now make sure everyone tunes in so the ratings sore.

Or if your not home, leave you TV on :)

How do they work out ratings anyway? :S

Reply #99482 | Report this post

Rueben  
Years ago

Certain randomly selected people have 'a box', which is a essentially a computer that records what channel is on, and what channel (if any) you are recording. Every time you turn the TV on, 'the box' on top of your TV flashes, and you need to use a special remote to tell it who is watching. Every person in the house has a number (ie, Mum 1, dad 2, sister 3 etc) so when you watch tv you need to hit 1,3 for example. Everytime you change the channel or every half hour (which ever happens first), you need to confirm who is watching TV.

Everynight the figures are sent to the company that calculates the ratings.

Hope this helps. (we used to have a box on our TV).

Reply #99483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no more footy show. new show called 'the basketball show'???

Reply #99484 | Report this post

Great work by Eddie and the NBL. Make sure people watch it as I'm sure if nine put in the hard yards we may get more games highlights.

Maybe one day Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday live or delayed for games. I dont even care if they are not live. I just want to see them on FTA

Reply #99488 | Report this post

skyhook  
Years ago

"Who wants to be a basketball millionaire" -- the other Eddie (Groves)

Reply #99492 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

I agree Hangin Around,its great news bout FTA but i hope the games are spread around the league.
Dont like the idea of highlights! how bout show the game in full?
I think it was channel ten that showed highlights of a single game about ten years ago,it was so badly produced all you would see was sydney highlights even if they got smashed!

Reply #99510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I cant believe that is how they take ratings!?

How inconsistent!

I am a TV addict, and i have NEVER heard of anyone ive ever met having one of those boxes... shows how "off" the numbers can be :S

Reply #99552 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

great start,

fta is simply the answer, we have all been screaming for it now lets make sure we watch it regardless of how its run

from small things big things grow

Reply #99553 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

In regard to ratings statistics, the ratings people also walk around the cities talking to people and doing surveys.
Questions like:
What channel do you watch the most?
Favourite shows?
Favourite sports? etc etc.

Reply #99577 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

bahahahahahaha

Reply #99668 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:39 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754