Round Orange Ball
Years ago

State of SA coaching

I have been reading the posts regarding the players at the last U18 nationals with interest. Especially the Mens team.

All posts have been about the players, who should have been in the team and who did not play to their potential.

All 10 men this year are good players and each deserved their place in the team.

So, what went wrong and why?

After going to the last 4 nationals watching this team and others coming up through U16 in Tasmania, 2 trips to Perth, then here in Adelaide, I have noticed a continuing decline in on court performance of both players and coaches.

This is not the fault of the players, but the coaching staff and their selection.

SA coaches have a habit of being negative and abusive to players to the point of having those players focusing on themselves before each game and not focusing on the team and what the team has to achieve in the game.

They are and where this year, looking at themselves, thinking if they stuff up, they will be on the bench.

Before each game, each player came into the stadium with long faces, very few of them sat, or talked to each other and none of them felt they where part of a team, just an indivdual who has to perform of they will be on the bench. Obviously they played as individuals and results show this.

The only thing that will lift SA at national level is for coaches to change their approach.

If one looked at the teams that where at the top of the competition, the coaching staff where freindly between themselves and the team and because of this the team acted and played as a team and their on court peforamce showed.

Unfortunately, this negative coaching approach is from the top down and a number of clubs have the same attitude. Until this changes, SA will always be in the middle of the field.

The best coach that I have observed at nationals is Marissa Fillipou who deserved the honor bestowed upon her this year. She is firm, clear, angry when she needs to be, but has compation and is very encouraging as well.

Just my thoughs on SA junior basketball!

Topic #8866 | Report this topic

patto  
Years ago

just a question, did you sit in on player individuals, pre game talks, half time addresses or post game addresses???

Reply #99807 | Report this post

Tyson  
Years ago

Thoughts on this years 16 boys in Ballarat ? NSW coaches, Vic Metro, and Country coaches, Qld coahes and Finally, the SA coaching staff
( Metro ) had a great line up... Thoughts ?

Reply #99836 | Report this post

Round Orange Ball  
Years ago

patto, it does not matter if I was at these briefings or nor, I think it was evident from the stands as well.

Tyson, I was not at Ballarat.

WA Metro, TAS, and NSW Country in all age groups and gender always plays greater than the some of its parts. Both are not a team of stars, but they play as a team and the results speak for themselves.

Only the coaches can make this happen.

The states that foster this type of coaching will be competative and those who do not, like we do, will only be able to win over WA country, NT and ACT.

We have to stop bagging the players and maybe look at the way we coach!!

AFter 3 days of posting and over 400 reads, am I the only one who wants SA to move forward and catch up to the other states?

Look at TAS this year in the U18 Mens. This team is basically made up of the same players 2 years ago in U16 and they finished in the bottom half, this year they finished 4th. Great effort! But if they had our coaches, would they have finished 4th? Who knows, but on paper, our team was made up of better players and we played at home.

Reply #100186 | Report this post

Uncle Rico  
Years ago

Many coaches would argue playing at home is not an advantage R.O.B

Reply #100243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ROB - be more specific.

How should our coaches change?
What are they currently doing wrong?
How do you suggest they should be coaching?

What did the tassie coach do that our coaches didn't?

Don't try to sound all high and mighty by suggesting your the only one who wants SA to move forward, all you've done so far is bag our hard-working volunteers.

Reply #100245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tyson, I was not at Ballarat.

WA Metro, TAS, and NSW Country in all age groups and gender always plays greater than the some of its parts.

R.O.B. - how can you make the 1st statement, and then the second?
If you WERE at Ballarat, you would have noticed that NSW Country boys were the biggest disappointments of the tournament. Had top 3 talent, finished about 7th I think. The SA Metro U16 girls did brilliantly and over-achieved massively I'd say - a huge credit should go to their coaching staff and the girls.

Reply #100250 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:47 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754