Roger DeRous
Years ago

The 2006 Conroy's Double Smoked Bacon Basketball S

Further nominations are being requested for The 2006 Conroy's Double Smoked Bacon Basketball South Australia Show Pony Awards.

Matt Ryan is tipped as favourite for the prestigious award this year, registering odds of 3:1 with TAB sportsbet. The award was won by Mr Ryan in 2002, 2004 and 2005. Other nominations include winner 2003 and runner up 2005, Luke Smith, currently holding odds of 4:1, and Geoff "Mumbles - Where are the girls on Hanson Road?" Stanley at 20:1.

Nominations for the Rising Stars Show Pony Award include Brett Johns, Antrigg Jackman (self nominated) and Joshua Willis-Ingerbritzen.

All nominations can be posted on Hoops by 6th November 2006. A special ceremony will be held at 7pm on November 19 at Marion with special guest speaker John Lawrence.

Self nominations are allowed.

Regards,

Rog.

Topic #8976 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

are conroys still givin a years suply of bacon 2 the winners?ne eggs 2 go with that?

Reply #101242 | Report this post

BJ RULZ  
Years ago

hi roger, long time no see, can you nominate family members?

Reply #101243 | Report this post

Roger DeRous  
Years ago

Hey BJ,

Yeah family nominations are fine, only if you don't be silly about it. This is a very prestigious award, and all nominations require a reason as to why you think they deserve the award.

In reply to anonymous, Conroy's are still providing their years supply of bacon, and this year the Rising Star gets a Christmas ham just in time for Chrissie. Lets just hope there are no recalls.

Regards,

Rog.

Reply #101245 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

Can John Lawrence, nominate, compere and present the award to homself.
Some of the names already mentioned would be in line for the FOS award, surely?

Reply #101260 | Report this post

The supper Ref himself Mark Frost must be up there.
He dosen't mind putting on a good show to try and make himself noticed.

Reply #101264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why no girl refs nominated.......

Reply #101289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luke Smith should win this award hands down there is daylight between this ref and the others.

absolute f.... daylight

Reply #101298 | Report this post

Roger DeRous  
Years ago

Thanks for the nominations so far guys. Feel free to nominate female referees as well.

TAB Sportsbet has reviewed its odds in the Show Pony Awards, the new odds are below: (odds may change if large amounts of money are bet on outsiders; hence the changes below)

Luke Smith 3:1
Matt Ryan 3:1
John Lawrence 5:1
Mark Frost 10:1
Geoff Stanley 25:1

Although Mr Smith's odds have changed slightly, the fact he was out for some time because of injury may not work in his favour. The other nominees therefore had the chance to rack up more Pony points during his time off.

Please note John Lawrence has already been shortlisted for the Idiot Award- a sub catergory to The 2006 Conroy's Double Smoked Bacon Basketball SA Show Pony Awards. Nominations are closed for this award (the winner was already chosen before nominations were announced)

Keep the nominations rolling.

Regards,

Rog.

SA licence no. T01/2301

Reply #101345 | Report this post

Luke Smith  
Years ago

i put a hundred bucks on myself....

and im still waiting for my bacon from the other year fellas

Reply #101364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

female refs are probably not nominated for the fact that there are hardly no female refs

Reply #101368 | Report this post

Luke Smith  
Years ago

does john get anything for his idiot award? ham, some sausages, anything?????

Reply #101372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and refs wonder why they arn't liked.....

Reply #101382 | Report this post

Luke Smith  
Years ago

why, because they can poke fun at themselves on a stupid forum?

Reply #101384 | Report this post

Luke Smith  
Years ago

for goodness sakes, have a laugh at it you goose. its bad enough having to listen to you guys have a whinge on court, let alone on a forum.

and (#101382) i love the way that you put your name next to your comments... real big of you. i wish i could be you...

Reply #101387 | Report this post

oldsicpuppy  
Years ago

Careful boy. You got reported for calling someone a goose!

Reply #101415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luke next time i see you i'll tell you to your face.

Reply #101418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This thread just shows the separation between the men and the boys.

The top refs in SA don't come on here bragging about who's the biggest show-pony. They realise that refs arn't the centre of attention, and don't pretend as if they are.

I don't see Welby, Phil or *shudder* Bruce's name metioned here.

It's great that you can have laugh at your own expense, but when it translates to on-court showmanship and umpiring turns into a contest between you wanna-be's making a scence, it demonstrates the power-trip that holds good refs back from being great refs.

That's my 2 cents.

Reply #101419 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

I would like to thank people for backing me to take out this award.

Have you ever experienced that one defining moment in life? That extraordinary event that captures your heart and lives in your soul, until the day you die. For the nominees, "The 2006 Conroy's Double Smoked Bacon Basketball South Australia Show Pony Awards" is that moment. HOOPS.COM.AU is your stage and your platform. For some, it feels like home. Once here, a moment can last a lifetime. The reward for success can be great, but the price of failure is always devastating. It is on this grand stage called "The 2006 Conroy's Double Smoked Bacon Basketball South Australia Show Pony Awards" where dreams become reality, referees forge legacies and mortals become legends. Each year, this is the one event that changes lives forever. For some, it is the culmination of a lifelong dream and for at least one, the dream will end.

Unless you've been previously awarded "The 2006 Conroy's Double Smoked Bacon Basketball South Australia Show Pony Awards", you can never fully understand its allure. For those few who have, it's considered an honour and a privilege. Dreams come alive and they also end, but the experience of living the dream, even for just one night, that's what makes these people and this award so special.

I was away for 8 weeks prac teaching at Naracoorte this year, but I feel as though my performances at Nationals, Friday nights and attending ABL games is proof enough for why I am one of the favourites.

I thank the organisers and I will begin work on my acceptance speech now!

Reply #101431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #101434 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

However, the action of being dressed up as MAVERICK should garner me a few votes!

Plus, which other ref has been spoken about on HOOPS for their supposed attraction to blonde North girls.

(By the way, I only kissed one blonde-haired, blue-eyed girl this year and she didn't play basketball for North. Her name was "Ariane", pronounced exactly the same as "Aryan" - The Blonde-haired, Blue-eye Nation that Hitler was after!)

Reply #101447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

luke smith should win!

Reply #101458 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

I would just like to inform people that last night at THE FLINDERS UNI BACHELOR OF EDUCATION GRADUATION BALL, I was awarded the "Sgt Tom Croydon Award for being the most Arrogant and Offensive"

Reply #102489 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:26 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754