Bulldog
Years ago

Points rating system

Just thought a few people might be interested in an article on FoxSports.com.au about the points system and how it has not worked to even up the league.

Singles out Melbourne and Brisbane, but strangely omits Sydney and their points reduction for Russell Hinder.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,20718280-23769,00.html

Topic #9298 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

This is damning IMO:

Cairns Taipans were also after Dench and were trying to sign him at nine points, however, it appears he was intent on playing for Melbourne and stalled negotiations.

Reply #105201 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

Is there anywhere where clubs points are listed?
Sounds like an unworkable subjective system. Looks like its as effective as the salary cap.

Reply #105214 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

was listed on the NBL website at one stage.

Reply #105220 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

What is strange about it Isaac? Morrissey is the most pro-Sydney reporter going around, just tipping out our Boti for most biased one-eyed reporting of basketball.

Reply #105231 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Sorry, I mean't Bulldog.

Reply #105233 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

Would a team like this be under the points system??

Horvarth
Rychart
Wheeler
Maher
Newley
Ingles
Forman
Holmes
Nash
Hill

Just curious? Isaac I bet you could tell me yay or nay on this one?

If its a yay, then send it directly to Mal!

Reply #105242 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not anymore. Newley, Ingles, Forman and Holmes would all come back uncapped - had they been signed here from the start, all would be 5s. Newley would be a 9 or 10. Ingles probably an 8-9, Forman 8, Holmes 9, although some could be revised down based on this season's stats - hard to know what calculations they'll use for next year. I'd guess Forman to be a 7 (playing more minutes for the same stats) and Holmes an 8 (has dropped a bit in scoring while still playing good minutes).

Reply #105253 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

Thanks Isaac and there you go 36ers fans, what MIGHT and SHOULD have been.........

Reply #105257 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Isaac - Holmes & Forman would still get a reduction as if they came back, as Adelaide is where they started their careers...Newley and Jingles wouldn't though.

There was some talk a while ago about aligning junior clubs and that way if a player progressed through junior ranks and then played with that club's NBL team, they would still get a points reduction as well, but never eventuated.

Reply #105258 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yogee, I don't believe that's correct. The reduction only exists while you stay with that club. Once you leave, you lose it.

Reply #105262 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Yep incorrect Yogee

You only get to take your loyalty points with you if you have logged 10 years+ with one team

Copeland and Bradtke are the only "non loyal" points players to play for teams other than the ones that they acrued their loyalty points for.

This is why Rucker was a 10 point player as he has been to too many teams to get a loyalty discount.

If Brett was to leave the sixers he would be a 5 point player for other teams just as he is for us.

Reply #105263 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

So IF Adelaide had signed them...
Forman - 5 (now 7-8)
Holmes - 5 (now 8-9)
Newley - 5 (now 8-9)
Ingles - 5 (now 7-8)
Rychart - 10 (Going for citzenship)
Horvath - 10
Maher - 5?
Nash - 5?
Wheeler - ???
Hill - ???

What would Schensher be rated?

Reply #105264 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Brockman, I think Brett would be a 7, not a 5. Can't take that start-up discount to another club, just the loyalty discounts (-1 and -3) I think.

Reply #105273 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

Yeah they should look into the salary cap too! Brisbane and Melbourne are cheats!

Reply #105291 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

I don't know why so many people are listing the Adelaide team that has Ingles Newley Forman Holmes etc in it.

Wake up it is not going to happen.

Reply #105344 | Report this post

Farley boys Rep  
Years ago

Personally i would have liked to see Darren Ng in that lineup rather than the useless, irritating and turnover bound brad hill.

Reply #105388 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:51 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754