Years ago

Should Shaq just lose some weight already?

Reading the NBA rumours on Inside Hoops.com, I noticed something interesting inside the commentary at the bottom of the page:

"If Shaquille O'Neal's knees are getting worse, wouldn't it help to lose weight?"

I've heard all the stuff about "he needs his weight so he can take a beating in the post" blah blah blah. He obviously wouldn't get such a "beating" if he wasn't so huge!

I read somewhere once that Shaq has around 20% bodyfat. That's a fair amount for a professional athlete. By comparision, Lebron James had just 7% bodyfat when drafted coming out of high school, where as an 18-year-old I'm sure his bodyfat measurements weren't his top priority.

If Shaq slimmed down to say 290-300lbs (it's certainly achievable), would it be more beneficial to him fitness and injury-wise for his last few years in the league.

Topic #9313 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would he not get such a beating if he was to lose weight? If a defender is going to foul him...they will foul him hard no matter how big he is.

Comparing his body fat to that of Lebron James' is pointless, different players, postions and they achieve according to what there individual bodies allow them. If you want to compare them...Shaq has 4 rings, Lebron is about to get started.

Reply #105409 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Interesting point 3, maybe he just likes his food too much. It's also good to have a few extra pounds when you're tagging along with the Star Force busting into people's houses.

Probably not fair to compare his body fat with that of an 18 year old though, body shapes change over the years, if you look at photos or video of Shaq as a rookie his body shape was completely different to how it is now, who's to say Lebron won't balloon out a bit in 10 years time?

Reply #105444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who cares?

Reply #105447 | Report this post

52-Cans  
Years ago

Agreed with billo

How can you compare Lebron a 22 year old GUARD who is almost in his prime to a 34 year old CENTER who is old and run down but still producing decent numbers.

You can't compare body masses from a guard to a centre especially with the age difference. If you are going to say Shaq is fat compare him to a centre around the same age and who has similair gameplay.

Shaq is PHAT!

Reply #105938 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

13% body fat for shaq

Reply #106456 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:05 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754