Anonymous
Years ago

Marcus Timmons

Sixers to trial Marcus Timmons.

Great proactive move.

In coming weeks, also trialling Al Green , Leroy Loggins, Dwayne Nelson and Dan Clausen.

Topic #9425 | Report this topic

KIngJames  
Years ago

Ya clown! At least he will be able to grab a defensive rebound for us! 20 Offensive rebounds by the team on the bottom of the ladder isnt good enough!

Reply #107053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldnt bet on that KingJames

Reply #107056 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

I really dont see this as being as big a negative as people think. If they are 'trialling' him and it doesnt work out, then no one really has any reason to panic. If he is a as bad as people say he wont be signed on.

I hope he does well and can give the team more attitude. They're too soft, did any 6er even look at Abney after his foul on Hill? Cat wouldve probably got Tech fouled for his response, but atleast it wouldve showed a side to the 6ers they dearly miss.

Reply #107059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even though Marcus may be past his peak, he is still a great player. He won MVP for the Big V league this year, which included many NBL players. I think its a great move by the sixers, Marcus will surprise a few people i think.

Reply #107067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why didn't they just get him at the start instead of mastro ? overlooking the young for the old once again.

Reply #107069 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

They are actually going to get Phil to suit up as a back up to Brett Maher.

Reply #107070 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Would be interesting - I know Oscar's said that Phil can still hit a bucketload of threes if he shoots around at trainings.

Reply #107071 | Report this post

Why not get Sturty6ers to play?

It's because you are a bloody dud who only has the ability to bag someone from behind a key board. You are not a sixers fan; you are only looking out for your own selfish interests.

Reply #107072 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hehehe.

Reply #107073 | Report this post

Philnaldo  
Years ago

Arh come on Richie I think that's abit harsh

Reply #107074 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Oh no, I've been found out!

Reply #107081 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea i think he will be a good addition provide some scoring punch and solid defense from the SF spot, which is what we need.
I would personally drop Nash from he 10 and keep Sutton in to replace Hill and Timmons in for Nash.

Reply #107083 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

am i on wrong page here are the sixers lookinbg to form team for next senior games with their policy of older is good but oldest is even better lets look to develope some local talent
get dodman on the court for start surton has stepped up - simple solution i reckon we aint going no where with the old agew policy and i still admired copeland the guy a gun

Reply #107097 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

The real reason Timmons is in town is so he can run with Ben Fitz and his squad.

Reply #107102 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

its might be an immediate 'fix', however i would prefer to ride the season out and let the young players develope. I think its a bad move, if Timmons comeback sacrifices younger players opportunities. while were at it why dont we call the Alabama Slammer James Crawford! Disgrace really, a real disgrace. I do not care if we win games with him, time to invest in the future, we have too many veterans as it is! Disgrace Smyth a real disgrace

Reply #107106 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

Hindley Street is most happy.

Reply #107114 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

I was amazed today that Phil Smyth actually mentioned the words 'AIS'. Geeez,I didn't think he new about it.

But of course he decided to go for a 35y.o instead of looking to develop because as we know........ HE DOESN'T DEVELOP PLAYERS.

To think of the players Phil has let go and didn't recruit over the past 3 years is heart breaking, it could take a decade or two to replace that local talent.

Reply #107130 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

i agree, this act (of Timmions to the club for expense of youth) is an example of the need to remove Phil. never invests in youth! maybe or worked a phils strategy to keep his job safe. It is; hire veterans who are prone to injuries in turn if we are not doing well, i can advised we have been affected by injuires. This keeps the media and board off his back. It will never take the option of youth, as he just doesnt want to PUT IN THE TIME. SHAME PHIL SHAME!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #107132 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

apols for grammer and spelling, just bloody angry thats all!

Reply #107133 | Report this post

Knackers  
Years ago

I think it could be a good move, Timmons plays tough, good rebounder and will slot in nicely to play the 3 or 4 in the rotation.

Can't hurt i think, I mean look at Lanard go, he has been inspired in the last few weeks, doesn't matter how old they are as long as they get the job done

Reply #107136 | Report this post

The Early Bird  
Years ago

PHIL SMYTH

NEWS FLASH

Jordan Dodman only rebounds the ball and puts it back in. At 6ft9 and 120kg I would say he could do the same job Timmons would do if you give him the opportunity.

I applaud you for the use of Sutton and guess what it paid off. What have you got to loose by trying Dodman. If he does not work then atleast you have proved it.

Reply #107139 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

knackers i agree it could be a quick fix but what about the future? What about giving younger australian players ago? I now most people love to win, i do to, however i am also prepared to stick it out when times are not good if we invest in youth.

Reply #107142 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I dont mind the Timmons move, and if they bring him in to replace Nash it doesnt really make the team much older as Timmons and Nash would be of similar ages, but yea i dont want Timmons to replace Sutton in the 10.

Reply #107143 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

In Timmons they have a proven NBL player who could step straight in and play, as opposed to a young player who would need time to learn.

If the team is to have any chance of making play offs (which they still can do, beleive it or not), they really dont have time to blood a rookie.

I am not sure on this one, but also if they elevated Dodman into the 10, he would have to be paid rookie minimum for the rest fo the season, whereas I think Timmons' salary get some sort of veteran concession in the cap??

Can someone maybe confirm this or shoot it down in the usual flames...Isaac maybe?

Reply #107148 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Two points of fact:

1. The oldest team in the league is the current reigning champions, Melbourne (well at least prior to Timmons suiting up);

2. Which person above mentioned a better person available to replace Hill, given that we can put him on injury waivers for the year.

Anyone? Anything constructive? If the Sixers didn't look for someone to replace Hill I for one would be pissed. And everyone else on here would scream blue murder.

If Dodman deserves a shot he can earn it, and can earn it in a full, 14 man squad. But before I see him on court I would like to at least see him hit some of the shots he takes in the warm-ups.

I guess you can always look at every move negatively if you a trying hard enough.

Reply #107149 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I can see Timmons being useful and value for money (a la Copeland) but what will this do to crowds?

Winning is one thing, providing a product that people want to watch is another.

A sense of ownership of the team is very underrated. I have had bigtime fans say to me that other than Sutton, they struggle to care what anyone else does on court. I think that is a factor when it comes to fan satisfaction, crowd numbers, etc.

Yogee, I've never heard of a veterans concession, certainly not in the NBL.

Reply #107150 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea, i agree we do need young local talent in the team, but we also need guys upto NBL standard, i think Timmons could potentially step in as starting SF straight away, where as there isnt a young SA boy capable of that, and if they replace him with Nash we are not losing a SA boy anyway, i think Sutton should stay in the team for Hill and Timmons for Nash (or Ng whilst he is studying)
I think a team like this would be ok and should be able to make the play offs and may end being ok
C Cooper/Wheeler
PF Horvath/Majstrovich
SF Timmons/Copeland/Majstrovich
SG Farley/Copeland/Ng
PG Maher/Sutton
What do people think, and keep Nash on as the 11th man, suit for home games and fill in for injuries.

Reply #107153 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

I agree Isaac, bringing in ancient mercenaries doesn't do much for local pride or with the fans ability to identify with players.

South Australian sporting teams has always been about SA Born & Bred, SA Pride, SA Great, Us against Them etc

Phil was given his first coaching job by his home state. Unfortunately Phil doesn't look after 'his own' home state.

The 6ers are becoming a revolving door of non South Australians and has beens, similar to the extinct Tassie Devils NBL team.

Reply #107154 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jonno, definitely better at the expense of Nashy than Sutton, but Nashy is signed for next year unless we're all mistaken - certainly doesn't seem right!

Reply #107155 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

Quagmire - I'm sure you loved those three championships with all those SA born and bred players!! how many were there again? Go and check and you might be surprised.

How about everyone just take a chill pill and wait and see if Timmons actually hits the floor - remember this year is a bit of a patch job considering the lateness in the sale etc etc.

Where are all the Copeland baggers at the moment - I haven't heard boo since his form explosion - I was calling for his head but am coming around to see his usefulness, maybe Timmons will provide some as well - Dodman has to make a shot in warm ups first - agree with that post! =)

Reply #107162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Relax it wont happen.

They will sign Sutton

Reply #107163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dodman makes this Australian junior team, dodman makes that australian junior team. To say he has not earned his spot is stupid.

Reply #107164 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Quagmire - I would like to know how many teams actually recruit a majority of their players from local areas?

Up until this season the 36ers actually had a strong local make up...Maher, Forman, Holmes, Hill, Hambour etc.

And have to agree with Isaac, a winning team doesnt neccesarily draw crowds, look at what Sydney were getting even last season after the three-peat.

Reply #107172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Copeland has been playing alrite but I'm still a Copeland bagger..

I'd still rather a young guy take his place

Reply #107175 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

If Adelaide win, the crowds WILL come no matter what the product looks like. As a crowd base they are much better than Sydney's period.

Bring Timmons in on a trial, if he is succesful its a win win. If not try the youth, as it is the last option left anyways.

Reply #107179 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Nino, you're the last option. The youth are the second to last option!

Reply #107180 | Report this post

crudeboy  
Years ago

I have yet to see Dodman do anything decent on a basketball court yet, the most energic thing he does is the warm-downs after a sixers game!

He is too short for a centre, and too slow, big and dopey for anywhere else ...I think even Reesy would be a faster runner than him!

Still amazes me how he has got on these youth Aussie teams, Academy and Sixers rosters.......

Reply #107193 | Report this post

Tce44  
Years ago

Yogee and Quagmire,

Have a look at the link re Local Players in the NBL.

http://www.hoops.com.au/sa/i.cfm/forumlist/8958/

Reply #107195 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I think it's ulitmately a bad move, let's face it, we're not all of a sudden going to become contenders with the addition of Timmons. As it is we've got too many players battling for minutes in the rotation, I thought Hill's injury could have been a blessing in disguise, but Timmons is likely to take more court time than Hill which eats into everyone else's minutes.

IMO an NBL side should ideally have 7 players sharing most of the minutes, an 8th player who gets about 15 a game with the other 2 mainly being used in junk time. At the moment we've got 10 players who all have legitimate claims for time and it's just not working. For a tounament like the Olympics or even an NBA season you need to spread time over more players due to the frequency of games (why Australia always ran out of gas at the end of tounaments under Barry Barnes and his 7 man rotation), but in a league playing only 1 or 2 games a week there's no reason your best guys can't run 35+ minutes a game.

It just seems like a lazy coaching move, trying to salvage something out a season that's going no where to the detriment of the team going forward. I'd much rather we finished dead last but assisted significantly to the development of young guys than scrape into the playoffs on the back of a bunch of veterens who won't even be here next year only to get bundled out in the first round (again). But I suppose Smythe isn't a certainty for next year so from his perspective the latter option reflects better on him.

Reply #107199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The Early Bird"- Dodman struggles in the ABA, what warrants him getting to play in the NBL at this stage? even some of the silly season games that I saw he really sucked in. He is carries to much weight and even Julian "whateverhisname" from west sydney would give him 40 points.

Reply #107252 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:09 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754