123abc
Years ago

Fair crack at the Sav by Sixers, Ng resigned

THE Adelaide 36ers have taken a shot at high-quality Boomers swingman and NBL free agent Glen Saville but he will stay on the eastern seaboard.

While Adelaide has missed out on the Wollongong championship-winner, it has retained Darren Ng.
The free agent guard was hotly pursued by Singapore which may yet make a play for his brother Marcus, a 36ers development player.

More: http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,21464473-5006371,00.html

Topic #10921 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

If the QLD teams offering $300k+ couldn't get Saville, then I don't see how we would've gone. He was set on Sydney from all accounts anyway.

Reply #126625 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

So, Has Ng re-signed or resigned?

Reply #126656 | Report this post

kdog  
Years ago

we have retained him, unfortunately.

I wonder if he will have time off to do the shopping? Maybe time off to renew his license etc

Reply #126687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did everyone miss the fact that Singapore might look at getting Marcus Ng

Reply #126737 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not a bad idea IMO. Has been scoring OK in the ABL, will appeal to home crowds in Singapore and is still young. Put him in the 10 or 12 and see how he goes.

Reply #126752 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

i agree. this guy gets bagged a fair bit on here, and i think its not deserved. He has never really had a chance at ABL level until now and he seems to be making the most of it. He clearly has worked hard on his game while training with the sixers last year and i think he can still get considerably better.

Reply #126778 | Report this post

Skudpud  
Years ago

Good to see Adelaide chasing some big names though, Saville would have ben a huge pickup. Sydney should just be shut down as a russian mafia run club.

Reply #126788 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Isaac?

Do i detect a note of rascism?.. hmm
Or is that me being rascist?

bugger, wish i had never started this now.

Reply #126849 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think so - it's relevant that Singaporean fans are going to respond to someone with whom they can identify - nothing more than that.

Reply #126865 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

me - to put Isaac's comment in context (and I hope he doesn't mind) I have a Chinese guy living with me, and he was interested in seeing a United game because he was aware of Qu (Chinese player) being signed by them.

At the time Qu was injured, but in any event he indentified with United because they had a Chinese player in the squad.

You either misunderstood what Isaac meant, or do not understand the concept of rascism, because there is not one slither of rascism in the fact that an Asian city would identify more readily with a new team/sport if Asian players are a part of the squad.

Reply #126870 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Isaac, Doctor, I am in no way trying to cast aspersions on anyone, however, I think that it is a statement tinged with rascism to suggest that someone who looks Asian is more attractive to the Asian market?

As a "caucasion", i do not find the thought of a "caucasion" playing for my team more apealing..than any other person or race.

Im not intending to throw stones, just open debate.

Reply #127405 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Watch footage of a Singapore game and see how the locals in the crowd react when one of their development kids get on court. Also ask yourself why Nike (I think it was), used Darren Ng in one of their commercials for the Asian market.

Also check out an article on NBA.com at the moment by a Jewish guy talking about how he had no Jewish NBA heroes growing up because there were few in the league.

It's not that people find specific people "attractive", it's that they can often identify with people they perceive as "like them".

Reply #127407 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

The crowd reaction to development is no different to the reaction here if a young south aussie hits the court and does well, but i dont think it matters whether the player is what colour/race...just good to be a local.

As regards NiKe and its marketing, they have no issue with exploiting rascism, sexism or anything in order to achieve their goals, but it remains disciminatory. (not to mention child labour etc etc)

re Jewish guy, It disapoints me, that people need to see other people the "same" as them to have them as heroes or role models, I would like to think that anyone male/female, black/white, gay/straight, catholic/athiest..anything, can be my role model, for we are all human.

Im sorry i will get down from my soapbox now. peace and love to all ! :)

Reply #127412 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:38 am, Sat 11 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754