Anonymous
Years ago

Music at the Dome

The music at the dome for 36ers games is getting to a point where it is an absolute disgrace - having been to games in Sydney, Melbourne and the Gold Coast, it seems like the music they play in Adelaide is selected by the Adelaide city council, that's music for anyone over 50 and with no plans for change for the greater good of the community.

What's with only playing a track for 2-3 seconds??? You cannot get into or enjoy it and the music is so out-dated it's a bloody joke. The way they do it on the Gold Coast is fantastic, everyone loves the vibe and the place is rocking. I think it's time in Adelaide to start thinking about the young and new people at games; not the old that hate change, and please - this is not the NBA or College so don't try and make it like that!

I thought I was paying for a night of entertainment and basketball but this is not the case any more in Adelaide, its practically like watching an ABA game.

Topic #13921 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its an interesting point... because years ago when friends of mine would attend games, they would comment on how they loved how up-to-date music was played... and how this differential with AFL made them enjoy the NBL a lot!

Definately seems they have moved away from this.

Reply #162820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

when we played Singapore, that was like an ABL game opposition! Haha

Reply #162821 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

anon revelent much??

Reply #162822 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

ahhhh gold coast plays music all through the game, and its full songs, gets really annoying, REALLY ANNOYING... if your gonna play songs atleast have the song have some sought of connection to what just happened in the game, or what is happening. different tempos and what not, but yea, songs should be up to date but also have some of the fan favorites stay. maybe the 6ers should look at having a poll on the site or something to find out what they should play?

Reply #162826 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

I think the worst thing you can do is to try to decide what music is played by conducting a poll.

It's not a democratic process. Management are trying to create an atmosphere. But you cant make strawberry jam out of pig shit.

No music you will ever play will change the atmosphere when you team is getting its arse kicked.

Reply #162828 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Dragons have music played but fairly quietly for a good portion of the game, and crank up the 'special tracks' for key moments/exciting plays etc, it's almost like they use it to build the game up to the end of each quarter works really well.

Also they have 2 guys on the bench both on the mike that are more like your tv style commentators than your traditional courtside commentator.

Calling the play without overcalling it (heaven forbid if we had to listen to casey and carfino live at games!) for a game situation, rattling of various stats some really interesting stuff that adds to it all.

Reply #162829 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Why do you need music ??? It is a basketball game not a bloody music jamboree ... time outs and 1/4 time breaks I get ... during the game NO!

I also think the little "haha" (Nelson from the Simpsons soundbite) that they play when an opponent turns the ball over is an insult and a slap in the face.

Reply #162834 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

HA HA SVD - lighten up.

Reply #162836 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Bizzy - I understand that it seems small but it just bothered the hell out of me. Better not come back to bite us one day - fire up the wrong guy and then he goes nuts on us.

You did that kinda rubbish in the AFL it would be talked about on KG & Cornsy for the next month.

Reply #162838 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

I actually enjoyed the fact that the 36ers had finally found the "ha ha" sound bite that you hear at every other stadium. Now, we just need to play that after every missed free throw for the opposition, and get the cash register "cha-ching" sound for every free throw that we make.

Reply #162840 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Several things have to be taken into consideration with the music.

1- No Explicit Language
2- Preferably be able to clab to it (which rules out most R & B)
3- Cater for all ages, so a mix of older stuff and newer stuff.
4- The 36ers have requested less minimal music be played during offense. This makes it easier for communication when we have the ball.

Reply #162841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Am i only one who doesn't like the " HA HA "??
sometimes it just seems way too loud ..

besides that the music isn't too bad but a bit dated..
how a bout playing something out of the current top
40???

Reply #162844 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

As Skip said the club has certain rules/requests with regards to music. The NBL also have certain rules with regards to music (which appears to be ignored by a lot of venues). A lot of the current 'Top 40' music does not help to get the crowd involved, whereas, the "older" music does. If you attend any other venue in Australia or watch Foxtel you might note that the "older" style of music is used on a regular basis. Also interesting to note that Skip was on the music again last game and he seems to have a "feel" for the type of music that will get the crowd involved and also when to play it.

Reply #162846 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

One thing to hopefully look forward to is the new sound system. As far as I am aware, it is being installed over the next few weeks and should be used at the next game against the Kings.

Reply #162848 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

And the score cube? haha.

Reply #162849 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

skip - how do you explain "Thank God I am a Country Boy?"

That is offensive to all 5 of my senses!

Reply #162850 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

What's happening with the score cube anyway?

Reply #162851 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

123, nothing right now AFAIK.

Re "Ha ha" - once per game IMO. By the third time last game, I saw people rolling their eyes.

For the Pigs game, could've played "What are those pig tracks doing on the ceiling?!"

Reply #162852 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

I think the Ha Ha is freakin rude and immature. Also comes of as pretty petty when we are 10 points down with 30 seconds to go and you hear that after a turn over.

Reply #162860 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Last year when we were getting thumped by 30+ by the Bullets ... someone (Dusty I think) fouled out with close to 40 in the last 30 seconds and they played Hit The Road Jack, he must have been thinking something along the lines of "Yeah goodbye I'll take my 40 points and the W if that's ok with you".

I wonder if the sound guy has actually watched any of the games or actually knows anything about basketball?

And another thing while I am already havig a sook (this should probably have its own thread and probably already does) what is with the 07/08 Slogan "Right Here, Right Now" ... it is kind of like the Sixers organisation are saying to us "well you are here, the team is here, we organised an oppostition for them to play, we may not be any good but thank you for being here, so now you here you may as well stay. You are here, now, basketball is here now, we are all here, right now, so just watch if you feel like it ... we'll play 'Thank God You're a Country Boy for you'".

Reply #162863 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The music guys know their basketball. While it's a bit petty playing it when we're losing, if they don't play Hit the Road Jack, the fans will question that decision too.

Reply #162868 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

"But you cant make strawberry jam out of pig shit"

is that the same as

"No point in polishing a turd, it still going to remain a turd"

Reply #162872 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

I loved the music and soundbites on the night, its about entertainment folks, not just the game itself.

The wildcats play the "haha" and other soundbites at their games, most of them are insulting to the opposing side and they are taken with the intended humour by the visiting fans, i would imagine the same would apply to visitors to the Dome.

as for playing things when we are being thumped...easy..DONT LET THE B*STARDS WIN ON OUR COURT! then its a non issue. :)

the music will always be a bone of contention as you have people from 8 to 80 in the house, so you cant please everyone..but hey, your the supporters..get involved, clap..stamp...sing ..shout, whatever it takes to help drag our team to where they should be.

To those involved in the music thanks..good luck, do your best.

Reply #162873 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I was going to post that I thought the music and soundbytes were very good on the weekend. I thought the music was good and upbeat and seemed to get the people around me into the game. But I guess you can't please everyone.

The 'Ha Ha' soundbyte just has to be done. I can't believe anyone would even begin to consider it rude or petty. It is just funny because it is. And if you can't play that on your own court when an opposition throws the ball into the crowd, missing his teammate by more than 5 metres, then political correctness has killed the joy of life.

Reply #162877 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

I don't like it cos it is not PC - I don't like it cos I think it is stupid. What if one these dudes that we are playing takes exemption to it and fires up and takes over.

I have always hated the music - that is just me - I like basketball, I'm there to watch the game - not be excited by the "Family Entertainment". The product is all I need ... I don't need to be told when to cheer or clap or have fun. I don't like having orders barked at me ... but I do thank god I'm a country boy!

Reply #162882 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

If you have a suggestion of something recent (ie Top 40) feel free to post it. But refer to the 4 rules above before you do.

Im happy to look into any suggestions but I make no promises.

Reply #162884 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

SVD - Re: County Boy. If Dodman starts to get more and more minutes, you may hear it more often.
Since Reesy retired it hasnt been played often enough IMO. :-D

Reply #162886 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The real SVD has emerged - 100% music grouch! :P

Reply #162888 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

haha - yes I have ... I have learnt something about myself today ... & I like it!

Reply #162889 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Would you prefer we played more music like the girls dance too?

I wouldn't.

Reply #162893 | Report this post

Years ago

Is this just a case of becuase we won quite well this week we are just looking for something else to complain about?? not matter how small the issue??

Reply #162900 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

.. hehe could be...now, back to those damn floor wipers ;)

Reply #162903 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

I understand that I sound like I am complaining for the sake of it but I have always hated the music.

I do have to say though they have toned it down so much from last year ... last year was unbareable, so much so that I loathed going to the game - songs blaring every posession, you couldn't get behind the team cos you couldn't cheer over the music.

Reply #162906 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I think you have to live with it SVD. There is not a snowflakes chance in hell that the Sixers will suddenly agree with your 'no music whatsoever' revolution

Reply #162928 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

I think the "Right Here, Right Now" has been taken from the song they play for the dancers before the match.

I don't particularly like the slogan but i don't lose sleep over it.

Reply #163112 | Report this post

Bonz  
Years ago

Whether you like the music or not one thing is for certain...you will hear it alot cleaner on Jan 12th.

The new sound system will be put in over the xmas break, so the sound should be alot clearer and have more bottom end...not as piercing as it can be sometimes.

BTW.....Have a great Xmas & New Years!!!

(plenty of Monkey business over the break I'm guessing!)

Reply #163123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

123abc - I think the "Right Here, Right Now" has been taken from the song they play for the dancers before the match.

That hasnt been played for the dancers for 2 seasons. It is however played when the players come out onto the court.

Reply #163129 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bonz, not enough gorilla costumes in Adelaide! The plan has been foiled!

Reply #163206 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:32 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754