New name please
Years ago

Ironic - Parent Coach

Was wondering if others think this is ironic.

One of the biggest complainers about poor coach decision, nepotism and State teams on this site, decides to take action and gets to coach his own kids team.

With 40 seconds to go in a 6 point game he subs out his State point guard. For what looks like not passing his own child the ball. His kid then just starts throwing the ball up. When another kid hits a 3 pointer of a long rebound to cut the lead to 3, a time out is called. The other team has the ball for the last 20 seconds.

His team then allows all 20 seconds to run of the clock without fouling, and getting the ball back. And they didn't even try and foul, just sat back while to other team dribbled out the clock.

Plus rumour has it that 2 of his team have given up for good due to his attitude.

So the question is! Should these types of parents all be allowed to coach and see how real coaches don't mess these situations up?

Mod: Please select a new alias, Mutley has been using this one for years

Topic #17256 | Report this topic

SVD  
Years ago

I have read this 3 times - I don't understand

So Coach/Dad is coaching his son's team

Coach/Dad's son's team is up by 6

Coach/Dad subs out State PG with 40 seconds left

Coach/Dad's son starts chucking

The opposition team hit a 3 ... so they are down 3

Coach/Dad calls a time out

Now Coach/Dad's team appear to be down 3 and don't have the ball even though it appears the oopposition just hit a 3 and Coach/Dad let's the opposition dribble the clock down?

I don't get it

Reply #203327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he means his team is down by 6, hit a 3 to get back to within 3 - opposition has the ball.

Perhaps the coach did the right thing at the time out and his team didn't execute

Reply #203331 | Report this post

ESP  
Years ago

Sounds like a dose of sour grapes to me, thankyou for wasting 30 seconds of my life.

Reply #203334 | Report this post

DONATO  
Years ago

Somewhere along the line you have to say to yourself -do I get enjoyment out of watching my child play basketball - if the answer is no, then dont go - mellow out. It is such an immotive unfair game at times that some parents just shouldnt go there at all.
It is sport - how soon we forget.

Reply #203335 | Report this post

missing in action  
Years ago

more hints club - cant just slag of and not ID THE CLUB
so that everybody then can bag the club - get real you can do better you coach - ironic parent maybe change to idiotic
negative negative negative
end of story

Reply #203336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Perhaps the coach did the right thing at the time out and his team didn't execute"

If that's the case, and a whole team of players either can't or won't execute his instructions, he should definitely not be coaching!

Having watched the finals on Friday night, it's pretty obvious which team this is. Everyone around me was very perplexed at letting the other team dribble the clock out. I don't see how the club involved is relevant though?

Reply #203337 | Report this post

Lindsay Gaze  
Years ago

How common is this situation in a 'father-coaches-the-team' scenario. Guess it was more annoying in this case as it may have cost the team their season.

But I guess the other situation, depending on which club it was, may have been the team didn't have a coach and was unable to compete at all.

Which is the best way to go??

Reply #203344 | Report this post

Guess  
Years ago

Sounds like Under 16 Boys - South or Norwood

Reply #203347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My guess would be Woodville or Southen girls.
The only parent coaching on the boys side is from Tigers and their team didnt make finals.

Reply #203360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't think Southern girls made finals either did they?

Reply #203369 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Hey Mutley, do me a favour and think up a new nickname. I believe Penelope Pitstop is free!

Reply #203376 | Report this post

missing in action  
Years ago

finals bring out the experts in ever corner - team loses by 3 and who is to blame the coach -
not happy leave - do better then have a go -
i had a go myself - believe me - any coach who prepared to put in deserves better than deck chair critics - hindsight is a wonderful thing

Reply #203377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mutley, you should really try coach a finals game. because when you do you realise that it's more stressful than it looks.

1) the coach usually feels he is to blame when the game is lost as he should have done this or that.

2) no coach enjoys losing

3) no coach likes the sight of his/her dejected players after a game

4)then idiots like you come out confirming that it was the coach's fault. (by the way, how many easy shots were missed by the losing team? how many shots did your kid miss?) The coach can't shoot for his/her players in a game or defend for that matter.

Just be glad they made finals.

Reply #203384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A state guard got fouled off in a game on Friday Mutley which doesnt do your credibility any good.

Reply #203395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe the coach told his team not to deliberatly foul because that would constitute an unsportsmanlike foul which would then put the game out of reach. It has been one of the referees points of emphasis for at least 2 years.

Also ironic is how a coach can let there child play a full game to score 2 points which came in the last few minutes of the game and collected about 3 rebounds for the game. Also had 3 fouls half way through the second quater. Every body else in the team spent time on the bench but not the child.

Reply #203404 | Report this post

observer  
Years ago

it is a public forum and you can bring this up - but it is not conclusive to harmonious basketball

Reply #203406 | Report this post

Frog 51  
Years ago

Whatever all this crap is about who knows... But If you are going to write on this post as a proud parent which you all sound like you are, then run a spell check and get a proof read from your 4 year old son or daughter.

Reply #203410 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Have we established the club yet?

Was it the Gold Coast Blaze???

Reply #203425 | Report this post

Qlder  
Years ago

This site is turning into kiddy corner!

Reply #203430 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

it was the melbourne tigers back in '93

Reply #203436 | Report this post

Be glad  
Years ago

I hate it when parents are involved with coaching their own kids. There always seems to be an agenda.

The problem is that whithout parents coaching their kids a lot of teams would be without a coach at all.

Makes me mad a lot; however you have to suck it up and move on.. or put your hand up.

Reply #203473 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:09 pm, Sat 11 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754