Kent Brockman
Years ago

Brett Maher's possible last game

With it being the potentially the last time we see Brett Maher play at home in the NBL this week.

What are people's best memory of him as a player?

Topic #18926 | Report this topic

EC  
Years ago

Kent, I am not convinced. We have seen some great basketball in small doses from him this season. Just enough to say we still need him for another season. You can't underestimate his leadership qualities on court and the effect on the game. Especially if this season does not end up as well as we would like, he may want to give it another shot.

Reply #224212 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

We can only hope EC, but from everything have heard from the players and coaches, another season aint gonna happen.

One of my favourites would be his big reluctancy to shave his head back in 1998.

Reply #224214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

EC its not a matter of if he should come back, he doesnt want to.

Wants to go out while still playing well and relatively injury free.

Good on him.

Reply #224215 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Obviously there's plenty.
But actually Sat when he was doing a lay up, then flicked it out to Ballinger for a three, instead of putting up two. That stands out a bit. He's as sharp as a razor blade, to do that.

Reply #224217 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

I wont accept it until he or the club comes out and says that he is defenitely going to retire season end.
That hasnt happened yet . If he is shout it from the rooftops for people to acknowledge this great South Australian. Re memories how many games has he won for us in the dying stages sometimes with 3 plyrs chasing him to prevent him getting the ball to put up that winning 3 pointer etc. Cant really imagine a Sixer team without him.

Reply #224231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He has said it plenty of times!

Reply #224233 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

I think everyone should die their hair a sandy colour for the last home game, in honor of #5 ;-)

Tomorrow night (Wednesday) Sixers vs Dragons could well be my last game of seeing Brett in action. Hopefully the boys all lift for me and put on a great show and knock of the league leaders.

I am optimistic though that we can finish in 5th or 6th and beat a New Zealand or Perth (possibly even Townsville) on the road and advance to a Semi Finals series that will see two games played in Melbourne ;-)

Reply #224249 | Report this post

Simon  
Years ago

Join us to celebrate with Brett on his retirement
Friday 20 Feb Stamford Plaza North Terrace

info at
evright.com/pdf/BrettMaher.pdf

See you there

Reply #224256 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

I hope he does retire, personally. He's still a peak performer and an irreplaceable part of the Sixers, but better to get out at that stage than begin the inevitable age-induced decline towards mediocrity.

As far as best memories go, I'm pretty sure he went something like 11/13 3-pointers in a home game several years ago?

Reply #224270 | Report this post

cisco  
Years ago

His two Larry Sengstock medals in '99 and '02 were special.
Can't help but wonder, will the Sixers commission a bronze bust of Brett as they did for MD.

Reply #224286 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Oh so so sad...I suggest a Street Parade, hes done more for the country than any Olympians!! Oh wait he was one of them as well!

Reply #224312 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

A lack of organisation from the club regarding a send off for him still suggests to me that his retirement is not definite. Hope I am right.

Reply #224358 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:28 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754