ashesagain
Years ago

Oz Cricket's Death

While Pakistan was belting Australia in Sydney today the ABC announced during lunch at the test that Mitch 'never hit the pitch' Johnson was the recipient of test cricketer of the year. It seemed to sum up Aussie cricket. Selectors who don't attend games and some who are more famous for ear kissing, keep making mistake after mistake.
Ponting bats on a green top, we get rolled but Mitch and Co can't take wickets on it. Ponting is playing injured and he needs to pay the price for that.
While a lot of sports cry out for money our test players are all millionaires many times over and it seems are just not hungry enough anymore with 'astin martin' clarke a prime example of the petulant aussie cricket player.
Get some hungry men in the trenches that want to play and haven't got mega TV commercials, contracts and speaking engagements as their major income out in the middle and get rid of these underperforming whimps.

Topic #22002 | Report this topic

joshuapending  
Years ago

He did take the most wickets in the world in the calender year in test matches. Yeah ricky made the wrong call but we win more than we loose and with the slow changing of the guard we cant always dig ourselves out.

I would like to see hughes in the team and just accept that he will have good and bad days, but really our bowling is not going to get any better overnight.

Reply #263281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would be nice if cricket's death coincided with some airspace for hoops...

I don't think it matters whether the season is summer or winter (and I know the report feedback from some months ago said summer all the way) but the National League gets bugger all airspace.

Maybe an "In Brief" snippet here and there right at the back of the sports section or an article in the Herald Sun by Grantley Bernard, the Advertiser by Boti, but it's pretty minimal.

We need to get some space back.

Right now the media hogs are cricket and tennis (a bit of soccer)...in the winter it's AFL/NRL/ARL/A League.

BA and the NBL need to re-create a profile - 2010 is a Football World Cup year. If the Socceroos do well, wall to wall coverage (even if they don't, they're guaranteed 3 games and a tonne of exposure). BA will be up against it attempting to generate some publicity for the Boomers and the Opals at their respective World Championships.

2009-10 NBL season is a good start so far in terms of giving the sport a shot i the arm, if the men get a medal in Turkey it could be the start of something....

Reply #263284 | Report this post

Annex1  
Years ago

Would also help if BA had a decent media manager. The guy doing the job at the moment is a straight-up oxygen thief. Has done nothing whatsoever to raise the media profile of the Boomers or Opals (or helped in any way with the NBL, for that matter).

Reply #263290 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

The print and electronic media all publish what sells and unfortunately, Basketball along with several other second rung sports, will always struggle to have similar space with the biggies for that exact reason. It doesn't matter how much a publicity officer sends out media releases, the only way they will get published is if they will create more interest than other stories. Perhaps Basketball needs more sex scandals, booze ridden cruises or general bad boys or girls to catch the media's interest. However, I am sure that all the basketball fraternity does not want the sort of publicity that Carlton and St Kilda have received recently or the regular NRL dickhead player of the week report.

Reply #263292 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

Reminds me of Alan Border and Dean Jones batting in a Test match in Madras.

40+ degree heat, high humidity, Jones well over the century & cramped up dry reaching next to the pitch. Border wanders over to see how he is going.

Jones says to Border "I think I'm done, might have to retire hurt".

Border: "You weak Victorian. I want a tough Australian out here. I want a Queenslander"

Border turns & walks back to his end of the pitch. Jones bats on to make 210 and is put on a saline drip in hospital afterwards. The Australians tie the test.

Do we make them that tough now?

Reply #263305 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Deano was actually losing control of his bodily functions due to the heat and humidity. At the tea break team mates had to help him to the showers, help him redress and pushed him back out the door after the break. Absolute champion. Love AB's comment as well. lol.

Pretty sure Mitch has led the wicket taking for world cricket for 2 years straight now, so he must hit the pitch sometimes...

Reply #263308 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Ushiro - you're pretty close to nailing the problems with the media and sports coverage in general.

basketball in oz will always struggle to appeal to media groups for other reasons also.
the lack of a face to the product is a major problem,
most of our stars dont play/stay in our league,and never will.

imagine if the top 20 players in the nrl just dropped out of their league, the attendance would drop even further than what it is already(they would need a sex scandal weekly to stay in the media)

basketball as a mid level sport,that has a clean healthy image where its, players get paid,is sustainable, and is great for kids and families i think it is not far off the mark.

1,500 to 2,000 more punters at each game and problem solved.

Reply #263310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol what a funny post............ ye of little faith

Reply #263331 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

GO YOU AUSSIES!!

Reply #263336 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

hmmm, me thinks the term "oops" will be muttered by the OP.

Reply #263338 | Report this post

Who Me!  
Years ago

Wonder what the odds of Australia winning this Test Match were yesterday afternoon when the 8th wicket fell?

And did the Pakistani team get on it in time, to take advantage?

Reply #263339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ooops

Reply #263341 | Report this post

Elite  
Years ago

Great thread.....pfffff

Reply #263346 | Report this post

Detroit  
Years ago

those odd's woulda = alot of cash... yousef may be a rich man

Reply #263353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It ain't over until the fat lady sings!

GO THE AUSSIES!

Reply #263375 | Report this post

Hems  
Years ago

I would just like to praise Punter's brilliant captaincy by being able to forsee that the Paki's would fall apart on Day 4, and electing to bat first accordingly. He obviously had a game plan, and decided to give them a sniff at victory by tanking the first innings, and then when the second looked like it was going too smoothly, giving up a few more wickets to show that one of our bowlers can hang in there at the crease to grind out enough runs for a win.

At all times I was certain he had a gameplan, and was sticking to it, and that obviously showed in yesterdays conclusion.

Reply #263419 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Personally I would not be suprised if this comes out as match fixing in years to come. Pakis put some dollars on after day 3 methinks.

Reply #263427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Firstly Mitch Johnson is the leading wicket taker and I don't care where he bowls them if he takes wickets. I think Thommo had no idea where he was bowling at times!!! Mitch Johnson is now in a handful of cricketers who have taken more than 50 test wicket and made more than 500 runs in a year.

Finally anyone who knows anything about cricket knows that the SCG, regardless of pitch conditions is historically a poor place to chase runs in the fourth innings. I think the highest succesful run chase has been only 280 something then a handful of scores before you are as low as 217 (?) Some of those scores were turn of the centruy stuff so playing the odds you had to bat.

Reply #263599 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

DB5

Sad but true that we now think this way. The corruption in the game is just one more reason for the decline in support.

This will either be remembered as one of the greatest comebacks of all time ... or.... one of the biggest fixes of all time.

Wonder which it will be.

Reply #263600 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Just the shocking field settings in the morning got me thinking. If the skipper wanted to really win, he would have not had everyone on the fence for 10 overs while we knocked up another 100 runs. Add to that 3 drops off Hussey by the one filder...hmmmmm.

Reply #263838 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Just read this on FoxSports thought some may be interested as Hoops news is pretty quiet at the moment.

Pakistan team management believe players fixed this year's Sydney Test as well as a Twenty20 match, according to evidence given to an inquiry into the failed Australia tour.

There have long been suspicions about the SCG New Year's clash which saw Ricky Ponting's side pull off a remarkable come-from-behind victory.

Read more here
http://linky.com.au/wz5cc

Backs up a lot of people's thoughts at the time really....

Reply #277831 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:33 am, Sat 11 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754