crowfan
Years ago

Likes & Dislikes of last nights Boomers Game

Crowd filled to almost brink in lower levels.
Mills & Newley on the court at the same time.
The first half.
Bogey in the building, cheers for signing my upper deck rookie card mate.

Dislikes
Romano no time in the 4th qtr? i thought he was argentina's best player.
Jawai's injured shoulder? noticed him on bench, seemed to be an issue?
Court announcer waits until 3:55 in the 4th qtr to start a "Defence" chant. C'mon Son!

Topic #23247 | Report this topic

Billy  
Years ago

Didn't Romano Get Fouled out??

Reply #280964 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, that was Treise.

18/29 FT from Argentina.

Reply #280972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No jawai slam

Reply #280977 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

An Argentina side with at least one player over 6 foot 10 would have been nice too. That would have made for a more even competition.

The intensity of the game for brief periods was impressive. Argentina's aggressive defence really unsettled the Boomers for a few periods.

Mills was very good, but the Aussies needed all of the play to be run through him and I thought the team dropped off swiftly from there. A full strength Argentina side would have killed us.

Reply #280978 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Crowd came across really well on the tv, and the game was pretty good for what it was, young players whohave not played too much together trying to make their national team.

Reply #280986 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Yep, thought Mills not much of a team player??

Reply #280988 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Crowfan - The Court announcer tried several times during the game (in every quarter) to get a defence chant going to no success. It was only in the last quarter that the crowd actually responded.

Reply #280989 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

you got to start the chant yourself, dont sit around and wait for the announcer. thats what we do in the north eastern corner, although we werent there last night.

Reply #280995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im suprised no one has mentioned Gibbo or Martin. Man those two defended pretty dam well shut down Schattman which i think he only got one 3 pointer from seven in melbourne.

Wasn't happy with boomers defence compared to other nights other then Gibbo and Marto. Joe Ingles was this guy in the building? Patty alot of turnovers and i know its alright in this series but when you come up against USA they will make you pay and I think one off the reasons we played well in the olympics prior the USA game was our turnovers CJ barely turned it over, like against russia he had like 22pts 6asts and 0 turnovers.

Reply #281000 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Yeah, No Jawai dunk in game. But some nice flushes during warm-ups. The man is all hate when it comes to the dunk.

Reply #281007 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

KG was in the crowd wearing a red jacket.
He was a couple of rows behind the scorer's table.

I didn't realise he had some interest in basketball. I've always thought of him as all footy and cricket.

Reply #281011 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

Mills' hot shooting streak

Mills' turnovers

Reply #281013 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Jawai underwhelms me, to be honest. I thought he played with disinterest, rarely rolling to the basket or bothering to box out. Is he still badly affected by his ankle injury?

Mills was sensational, depite a few soft turnovers. Apart from a few blown calls, I thought the refs did a pretty good job too, allowing the contest to remain a fairly physical affair. Overall it was a good night - I'm sure they would have sold the place out if any of the more-notable Argentinian NBA players were on the tour. The atmosphere is usually a little underdone at Boomers games (compared to Sixers games), but last night it wasn't too bad. I was definitely glad I went anyway!

Reply #281014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nevil has the size but seems to go awol - was argentina u23 team?

Reply #281025 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Courtside announcer said something about Patty and Nathan signing stuff afterwards but i hung around for half an hour and i only briefly saw Patty appear in the visitors entrance and he signed stuff then for 5 mins. Did those guys make an appearance later on?

When the Caps were last in town, apparently Lauren sat patiently at the table and signed stuff for an hour an 40 minutes.

Reply #281032 | Report this post

chad  
Years ago

So you all could hear what the court announcer was saying? I was 8 rows behind the Boomers bench and I couldn't understand a word he said all night?

Reply #281036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

got patty and nates sigs after the game on my ball, whole team signed stuff for those that queued up.

Reply #281037 | Report this post

fan  
Years ago

I thought ball handling and passing of Argentina was far superior to Australia.
Given the size limitations of Argentina they did good job. If they had their NBA players result would have been much different.

Patty Mills was good but does not distribute the ball very well . Poor old Joe Ingles was left shacking his head times waiting for a pass from Mills.

No question Mills is great player will need to play much better team game in world champs. Many players waiting with good shooting position but the ball never came. Mills taking on the whole team in the paint.

For person of his size Jawai did not have much to offer and no real moves. Do not know if he was injured.

Reply #281045 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

I didnt mean the seated court announcer, i meant the guy walking around with the mic.

I thought Patty did a great job distributing the ball, the Argies defence definitely stepped up a level and made it hard work for all. He did at times overdribble in the high pick sets, but in the motion sets i thought he did well.

Joe and Patty have been very great mates for years, and I thought Patty's supply to Joe was good all series.

Gibbo was very average in the first half, but was awesome after half time.

Reply #281053 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

hereschenes, +1 to all.

I could hear the MC fine (SE corner, third row).

Also, loads of people lined up for the signing tables and while I didn't pay much attention to who was there signing I did see Jawai there for a bit.

Argentina's team were also posing for photos with anyone who asked.

Reply #281063 | Report this post

Justin  
Years ago

Caddee throwing it down in the warm up. That guy is tiny

Reply #281068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I couldn't hear or understand the MC at all in the North West stand. I was trying to listen to the interview at the end of the game but could hardly make out a word that was being said - I think the PA system is at fault.

Reply #281072 | Report this post

Hydra 93  
Years ago

Dislike - PA system

We also were on the south side and couldn't hear a thing the announcer said all night.
The PA system apparently has been complained about quite a bit according the the 36ers facebook site.
Isn't the PA system meant to have received an upgrade?

Reply #281074 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

I could hear the MC all night (which was Nathan Strempel fwiw) just fine sitting in the north-east corner, but I walked out the western exit during the on-court interview and couldn't really hear it at all. Maybe there was an issue with the PA on the western/southern side(s)? I usually sit on the southern side during the Sixers season and can hear everything just fine.

Reply #281079 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

The Argentinian players and fans getting photographed with Boomer the mascot was pretty funny..

Reply #281083 | Report this post

wasportsfan1  
Years ago

Like -Marto's hussle
Dislike - Argentina's Coach

Reply #281096 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Likes - Mills
Dislikes - Newley's reply to being asked when he'd suit for the sixers agen ( sounds like he's been asked that a million times though )

KG - was a regular at Apollo.

Reply #281097 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

Loved the game including the speed and intensity. Disliked the p.a. - couldn't decifer anything the court announcer was saying.
Strongly disliked being ripped of for parking. $10 for parking my car on a sodden grass area was a bit rich! Was already in a vehicle queue when told the price, so couldn't change my mind.
Cheered up again by watching Mills go off in the first half. Do you think if we made him Crows number 1 supporter he might come and play for Adelaide?

Reply #281098 | Report this post

Starks  
Years ago

Liked Mills' game.
Liked the pluckiness of the Argies.
Agree that a full strength Argentinian team would probaby hand us our head.
Sat 5 rows back behind the Boomers bench & the court announcer was indecipherable all night...

Reply #281103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does the announcer play for southern tigers ?

Reply #281106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he doesnt play for them but he announces there. dunno if he played for them though.

Reply #281131 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

"Poor old Joe Ingles was left shacking his head times waiting for a pass from Mills."

Maybe it was the 6 screw ups that Ignles had, with a grand total of 5 points that made Mills think he was better doing it himself.

Newley played well, much better player than Ingles!

Reply #281136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dislike: The Argentine flag crumpled up on a courtside table all night, not displayed during Argentine national anthem... Massive PROTOCOL FAIL.

Reply #281137 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

The courtside announcer is Luke Westley, who incidentally is running against Kate Ellis in the upcoming federal election. I was wondering whether they might have exchanged pleasantries at the game? :)

Reply #281148 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

I understood the court announcer all game,

I clearly heard every word in the interview with Patty Mills.

Reply #281153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hereschenes, incorrect. the court announcer is not Luke Westley, nor has ever been Luke Westley. Luke was last years Roving MC with Allan Browne being the Courtside Announcer since 2008. Im sure Luke and Kate Ellis would both be great in the role of sports minister, but as long as they concentrate on sports promotion for our juniors then either of them has my vote!!

Reply #281159 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

PA was terrible court announcer no idea what was said - better improve on that.
System has way too much gain or something because is almost inaudible or am going deaf.

Reply #281161 | Report this post

ninjafan  
Years ago

hereschenes, incorrect. the court announcer is not Luke Westley, nor has ever been Luke Westley. Luke was last years Roving MC with Allan Browne being the Courtside Announcer since 2008. Im sure Luke and Kate Ellis would both be great in the role of sports minister, but as long as they concentrate on sports promotion for our juniors then either of them has my vote!!

(soz forgot to put my name)

Reply #281165 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Roving MC at the game was (as has been said elsewhere) Nathan Strempel. I'd guess he could be MC for this coming 36ers season too.

Reply #281176 | Report this post

ritz  
Years ago

I sat in north west corner 3 rows from front(Vistors players race), I could not understand a word that the MC was saying all night.
Also the Boomers mascot liked to parade most of the game in front of me.
Game was great Mills is a gun!
Dancing girls were a good view from 3rd row!

Reply #281226 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Regarding Ingles' form, he seemingly played in this series exactly like his performances for Granada in the ACB in this last season would suggest; a gun for one game, a passenger for another. I still have high hopes for him as he is still young. Newley is a couple of years older and that extra experience makes a world of difference.

Reply #281231 | Report this post

dog 35  
Years ago

Disliked the shabby treatment of former Australian Olympic and World Championship players who were invited to the game. According to a number of reliable sources ( former players, journalists, media personalities) the Australian Olympians were finally invited to the game after much going back and forth, some turned up with invites and didn't have allocated seating, most of them stood around the concourse.

The stingy attitude of Basketball Australia in not supplying a ticket for their partners and not even introducing the past Olympians to the crowd was an example on how pathetic they are. It happened during the Australia V's Iran series two years ago and now again.

A complimentary drink for each, an introduction to the crowd at half time wouldn't have been hard to organize.

Do they care about our history, obviously not?

Shame on former Aussie players now in official positions and local organizers for not getting it right on the night.

Reply #281331 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:48 pm, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754