skip
Years ago

The Adelaide 36ers 1980s: The Golden Era

Regular poster Lennon 'Coopz' Cooper has released a preview for the Documentry he has been working on.

I cant wait to see the finished product.

Topic #25082 | Report this topic

Big Marty  
Years ago

That looks fantastic. I'd pay for that no worries.

Reply #309929 | Report this post

Phantom  
Years ago

Looks awesome. Great job Coopz

Reply #309941 | Report this post

curious  
Years ago

amazing!!

Reply #309954 | Report this post

illicit  
Years ago

that is freaking awesome, massive thumbs up

Reply #309957 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

Now thats what i have been waiting for!

Reply #309964 | Report this post

ashman  
Years ago

I'll be sure to add this to the previous 36ers DVD in my collection

Reply #309967 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

This looks awesome. I'd love a copy when it's available. I'd really like to see some of this past history and appreciate it more as this was all before I discovered basketball and loved the game.

Reply #309971 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

Looks pretty good. MD threw done some dunks back then, never knew he was that athletic.

Reply #309987 | Report this post

BettyLeadfoot  
Years ago

Awesome clip. Cant wait for the finished product. I was there for most of that. Sitting right behind the sixers bench. Ken Cole was a great coach and a pleasure to watch.

They were certainly fun times.

Reply #310000 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Fantastic little teaser, can't wait for the DVD.

Reply #310003 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

I've had seasons tickets since 1985, so I've seen all of that live. King Cole made B/Ball in this town, recruiting Al Green and others, having a general disregard for P/C, and doing things with flair and showmanship that we hadn't seen before. Ah, those WERE the "GOOD OLD DAYS."
The only negative is, I'm showing my age!!!!!

Reply #310004 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Spectacular video and can't wait for the finished product. However ..... I hope it touches on the end of the 1986 season and how things quickly went awry. It's hard to call it a golden era when they only won the one season. But for that one year, they truly were invincible. If Ken had stayed on, they could've won two, three, four, five .....

Reply #310008 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Nice one Coopz. Can't wait to see the finished product! Good memories there. BTW, am I dreaming or did I catch a glimpse of Darryl Pearce in there with long 70's style hair and massive mutton chops?

Reply #310017 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

I'm with the masses on this one - can't wait to see this when its all finished.

Gave me a chuckle when I saw Duane Nelson - he turned up as a relief teacher for my Geography class when I was in high school!

Reply #310020 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I remember seeing Dwayne Nelson at my High School back in 2001. Never had him as a teacher and never realised he was a former 36er.
To be honest out of the black American Imports over the years, he was one I never heard of or re-call hearing on news reports over the years.

Reply #310025 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Dwayne Nelson does basketball clinics in schools now days, fairly small time though. The 5yo's werent really into it but did think he was "Really huuge"

Reply #310033 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Coopz - hope you can find a shot of Bill Jones with the offensive putback that won the game over the Supercats by a point, to keep the record home winning streak alive in 2006. It would be great to see the classic Pearce-Davis screen and roll again too. They ran that so well it was unstoppable. Basketball poetry.

BTW - was the clip of Ken Cole talking about the highest scoring final in NBL history the game between Sixers and Falcons in 1985 (or was it 1986?). The final score was something like 165-129? I got my money's worth that night!

Reply #310046 | Report this post

quasi  
Years ago

Great idea. If another DVD could be produced about the championship seasons, that would be awesome too! Would definitely pay for that one

Reply #310048 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Sensational work Coopz. Definately interetsed in it when finished.

Good old Dwayne Nelson. I remember him playing out at Torrens Valley.

Reply #310050 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Keep an eye out because Coopz (or someone helping him, like Skip here, because I think he's too shy about his effort) will be announcing more about this documentary soon including the premiere screening and your chance to buy it with a limited extra bloopers/bonuses disc.

quasi, I believe this could be the first in a series of historical 36ers documentaries.

Reply #310053 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Good work. Would love to see that video. Reckon it would do well on the shelves.

BTW, In cricket the players have a cap number, I have gone through some old Sixers stuff starting from 1982 and believe that Ron Howard is cap #131. Jan Warbout would be cap #132 if he hits the floor. I have Daryl Pearce as #1. Julius Hodge is #106 (#666 was taken)

Over around 30 seasons I would have expected maybe more players, but anyone prove me otherwise?

Reply #310056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Peter,

I have a History of the 36ers DVD - The 80s and 90s. Starts with our first season in the NBL and ends at the Back To Back premiership.

On it, they have the "Bill Jones offensive putback", however the term "putback" does no justice to the play. He slammed it down!

I'll check tonight about the clip Ken Cole talking about the highest scoring final in NBL history the game between Sixers and Falcons.

Reply #310068 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Seeing as we are going retro, check out Uthoff's dancing here. I don't believe the Sixers are represented in this old advert (thank god).

http://www.asternwarning.com/20110301912/articles/nbl/retro-nbl-the-bruce-mcavaney-dance.html

Reply #310076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looking good Coopz some great highlights.

Does anyone know what the first logo of the 36ers was? Is it the logo on the warm up tops that the team is wearing in rundle mall?

Reply #310087 | Report this post

surmdog  
Years ago

once again coopz comes up with goods cheers to mike mckays dad for his efforts in reliable footage.
the fact your not making any profit from this and doing it for the love of the game i take my hat off to you mate keep up the good work.

Reply #310101 | Report this post

quasi  
Years ago

'quasi, I believe this could be the first in a series of historical 36ers documentaries'

Brilliant! Thanks Isaac. Thanks Coopz, can't wait to get all of them

Reply #310181 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:51 pm, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754