Assist
Years ago

36ers release injured Williamson

The Adelaide 36ers announced today that US import player John Williamson will no longer be a part of the playing team for the 2011/2012 season.

A recent knee injury sustained at training last week has resulted in John requiring surgery to repair the damage, followed by an extensive rehabilitation program.

Leeanne Grantham, CEO, Adelaide 36ers has said that the club has taken the last week to provide John with access to the best medical practitioners and time to assess the situation before making a final decision.

"John requires surgery to his left knee to repair the lateral cartilage. Our number one priority over the last week has been our duty of care in relation to John and ensuring he can make an in-formed decision to ensure longevity in his playing career and for his life time," said Leeanne Grantham.

“This is an extremely difficult time for the club and John is obviously upset with the outcomes of this situation which is the fault of no one. We ask the fans and the media to support John through this process.”

John's USA based agent has been a part of this consultation process being well aware of the club’s legal and contractual obligations. John is considering whether he will undergo surgery here in Adelaide or back in the USA.

Marty Clarke, Head Coach has said that unfortunately this is professional sport and a situation like this can arise at any time without warning.

“We are all disappointed that John will not be on the court with us this season but his number one priority is fixing this problem to make sure he can return to playing basketball at the highest level,” said Marty Clarke.

The Adelaide 36ers will now look to fill the position left vacant by John Williamson on the roster as soon as possible.

The Adelaide 36ers 2011/2012 iiNet NBL season starts on 8 October 2011 against the Perth Wildcats at the Adelaide Arena.

Topic #26428 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

ahh that sucks, better now than in 6 weeks

Reply #332276 | Report this post

Elite  
Years ago

Shattered.

Reply #332279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he seemed like a great guy and wouldve made a ery good player. i wish him all the best for his rehab and future!

Reply #332281 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

All the best John, hope you make a speedy recovery and maybe a 36ers stint next year!

Reply #332288 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

This has to suck as a professional sportsman. I mean you get a gig, it looks good, your fitting in and bam injured. Suck for John since if it wasnt his first season they might have just put him on Injury waiver.

36er's had to do this though and hell with the crop of players floating around right now it might not be a bad thing.

Reply #332289 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Bad luck JW. Hope you heal up soon. Maybe we'll still see you in a Sixers uniform one day.

I hope Balls isn't going to miss too many games as we are looking pretty thin right now.

Reply #332290 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

any possibility that our stocks with Bogut have gone up?

Reply #332291 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

What known qunatity decent imports are available?

Tucker springs to mind,

Grizzard, G Young, Maxey were playing NZBL could be options

Import forwards from last couple of years not in the are: Clark, Brown, Gilder, Sanders, Grizzard, Ellis, Melzer, Maxey, Rickert, Storey, Young, Roberts

No real stand outs, i think the style of player they are after is a athletic versatile PF/SF who can pinch hit in C if needed, to me Young, Maxey, Melzer fit that style, but none of them really jump out at me but all could be ok especially if happy to come off the bench.

Tucker may be a good quick/short term option as he is already in Adelaide, so may accept say a 1 month contract, and see what happens after that, in the mean time the 36ers assess who else is available and sign someone else, unless ofcourse Tuck proves to be what we need. He could probably literally be at training tomorrow if wanted given he is in Adelaide (i think) so would definatly be available first game, so for me thats an advantage and something i would rather than going into the first game 1 import down. He isnt really the same style of import thay are looking for as he is more of a SF/PG who could pinch hit at PF.

In the ideal world we would get either Bogut or Chris Williams , as both would be perfect fits and MVP candidates.

Good luck 36ers on the hunt, and good luck on the recovery John Williamson

Reply #332292 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

FFS Chris Williams played in the NBL almost 10 years ago. Time to let go people

Reply #332294 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I know with Balls out we are currently light on talls, but I still maintain we would be better going for a SG or at worst a Swingman.

DJ / Helliwell
Balls / DJ / Weigh
Weigh / Creek
Herbert / Ng
Warren / Crosswell

After Herbs stats over the weekend, I'm not sold on him starting.

Reply #332295 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Williams is only around 32, so if his form is still ok internationally he would do just fine IMO.

Another name that i thought of was Josh Pace, has carved up the NZBL for a few years, can play anything from PG-SF, pinch hit at PF if need be, i for one would be curious to see how he would go.

So if we want someone who can play SG like Skip suggests above he could be a good fit, and a Gilder/Sanders type could also be ok, Tucker also fits this type of player.

I wouldn't mind seeing rotations of say, lets just say Pace is the import

C Johnson (25 mins)/Helliwell (15 mins)
PF Ballinger (25 mins)/Weigh (10 mins)/ Pace (5)
SF Weigh (15 mins)/Creek (20 mins)/Pace (15 mins)
SG Pace (5 mins)/Herbert (20)/Ng (15)
PG Warren (25 mins)/Crosswell (15)

To me that looks good, and fairly well balanced with a versatile import (such as Pace or Tucker, but not necessarily either of them) playing mins across 3 or 4 positions.

Reply #332298 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Bad news for John. All the best with the recovery.

Really wanted to see this guy play. Hope we see him some time soon.

Reply #332299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hamin from frankston or mcfarlin would be a chance!

Reply #332302 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I had a chance to see Williamson train . Gonna miss him.
The last I saw of Ballinger , he wasn't gonna make the team. Maybe a little bit off the bench. Maybe.
Helliwell gave several of the greatest training performances.

Reply #332303 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

No more imports named John. Last 2 have looked good, then gone down injured.

Reply #332309 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

Seriously we need to stop sharing minutes around like an under 10 team.

Play the studs as much as possible, thats what they are getting paid for!!!

Reply #332310 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

What about Ira Clark as a possible replacement?

Reply #332311 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Last I heard, it didn't sound like anyone was going to get Bogut.

Reply #332312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut or Ira Clark. Williamson was the perfect player for this team big strong and could dribble. Let's not replace him with some spud.

Reply #332313 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Seems we'll know tomorrow whaaat.
'For up-to-date-news on 36ers plans , read tomorrow's advertiser.' (on adelaidenow now.)

Reply #332315 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Terrible news for Williamson. I hope for him a full and speedy recovery.

Hopefully Leeanne will let him keep his polo shirts...

Reply #332316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Put a fork in em, id say the 6ers wont recover to what they couldve been for this season! I have zero faith in them to recruit a decent replacement...maybe Clarke could use all his amazing contacts we hear about to bring in one of the solid Aussie talent?

Reply #332326 | Report this post

observer  
Years ago

I am disapointed that JW wont be on the Sixers Team,he looks a big man who would be able to dominate inside,we have two men out now (Ballinger too)we will be a little understrength without balls and import!

I would like to see Tucker play for about a month until sixers import has been announced and settles in.He is in Adelaide ready to play but i doubt CLARKE wants a 36y.o player playing NBL,He can play state league but NBL is different.

Was looking forward to JW playing this season but not this case.I wish JW all the best on his surgury and rehab.Noone is to blame.Lets hope he can be in a sixers uniform next year.

Lastly Sixers look and pick a good import,look at videos than getting a recommendation from bogut.

Reply #332334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Idiots if you genuinely think a 36yr old with a poor record deserves a spot in the NBL with the 6ers, lets not cheapen the 6ers branding too much more here. Tucker is DONE, was when he was a tiger all those years ago, would offer nothing at NBL level now. Dont over estimate what the abl level really is. Alot of fringe NBA guys are still out there, get it done Adelaide, spend and deliver, and the financial loyalty the 6er fans will throw at you will be endless.

Reply #332345 | Report this post

tyrell  
Years ago

Ira Clark ain't playing for no one but Joey Wright so give up on that one!!

Reply #332346 | Report this post

harry  
Years ago

unreal

spewing we never saw him play

best of luck JW

please
no Grizard
for god sake!

Reply #332351 | Report this post

Import fan  
Years ago

Please get an NBA player

Reply #332352 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

A damn shame it hasn't worked out with 'True Stripe' He looked good @ training and I was hoping to see him play.

Perhaps Warren would have fed him a couple of alley-hoops to spark the crowd.

We wait and see who steps up next.

I hope Balls gets healthy soon and plays. I miss the big ranga.

Reply #332364 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Really disappointed that we will not get to see him play with the 36ers - as with many others, I was quite keen to see him on court and in our league. Boti's article says 8-10 week recovery.

John, best of luck for a quick and successful recovery. I hope this doesn't deter you from trying your hand in the NBL in the future, with one team or another.

Reply #332369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not Pero while looking around for a replacement. Better to make sure we get the right person.

Reply #332373 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Anon #345 I agree, there is fringe NBA talent out there, Sixers really need to chase someone who is not recycled.

Reply #332379 | Report this post

boss  
Years ago

agree vasiljevic would be a good TEMPORARY replacement

Reply #332392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go to America and find somebody from college that is fringe NBA/hasn't been picked up by Euro leagues. If you want athleticism you got to look beyond Aus/NZ!
Bad luck to Williamson though.

Reply #332477 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:31 am, Tue 30 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754